Samsonov's Replacement?

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Woll's pro career high in 5 seasons is 33 games played in a season.

His LIFETIME HIGH is 37(!!!!!!) f***ing games in 10 years of history.

To bank on him playing even half a season worth of games would be foolish. But the Leafs continue to amaze so we'll see.
Yup. He’s not an option for a starter. He’s a backup at best due to health.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
The thing
Classic Freddie in a do or die game. Overall he has good stats, and even good career playoff stats. But in game 7s for us, he repeatedly played poorly, let in softies, etc.
100%. Good goalie but he does not have the level of consistency and reliability that the true top goalies have.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Stolarz or Brossoit please. You would think both would want a situation to potentially win a starters job and we can pay them like 2.5-3 mil. Both have had multiple high sv% years in a row.

Reactions: Brown Dog

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
For me, there are two standout candidates.

1. Jacob Markstrom with $2m retained - He's played in pressure cooker environments. He's big. He can take on a full #1 workload if Woll gets hurt, thereby leaving Hildeby as the #3.

That being said, Calgary's appetite to send Markstrom to Treliving in Toronto is probably not all that high.

2. Cam Talbot - He's old but he showed that he's still more than capable. Been around the block so shouldn't be too affected by being in Toronto; and will likely come cheap.

Not at all interested in Saros and his likely $7m+ extension. Teams generally don't win with high priced goaltending as you're going to run into one, if not multiple teams along hte way that gets a guy who matches him for less than half that.

Going after the career backups -- Stolarz, Broissoit, in my opinion would be a mistake; you need somebody that can be the #1 if Woll faulters.

Reactions: TMLife17

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I think Skinner may be available.
:sarcasm:

Tough is finding a needle in a haystack.

Landing a #1G next year is finding a needle in a black hole and getting him back out.
This is easy. Calgary will be dying to unload that Markstrom contract and will have to eat some contract. You don't pay guys to miss the playoffs.

Agreed. Sadly
I'm not sad. He is young and cheap backup who can fill in for short periods.Markstrom ,Woll and Hildeby is about as good as we have had since Belfour.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I am intrigued by the Nashville rumors. Marner for a package including Saros makes a lot of sense for both clubs.

Not viable to have an $8M goalie when your team is so top heavy. That's essentially 1/10th of your cap space sitting out 25-30 games every season.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Not viable to have an $8M goalie when your team is so top heavy. That's essentially 1/10th of your cap space sitting out 25-30 games every season.
His current AAV is 5 million. I don't think Saros' camp will be asking for that much on an extension unless he has Marner's agent.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Try to get Saros if you can. The focus should be on a true #1. Woll has shown flashes, but nothing to suggest he can carry the load of a true #1.

Goaltending is the key thing missing on this team. If we have a goalie that can steal us games, that is going to make the biggest difference for us.

Reactions: Sypher04

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
His current AAV is 5 million. I don't think Saros' camp will be asking for that much on an extension unless he has Marner's agent.

Sorokin's contract is around $8M. I don't know why Saros would go lower than that on his next contract. Especially if he comes here and goes, why should I make so much less than Nylander?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
For me, there are two standout candidates.

1. Jacob Markstrom with $2m retained - He's played in pressure cooker environments. He's big. He can take on a full #1 workload if Woll gets hurt, thereby leaving Hildeby as the #3.

That being said, Calgary's appetite to send Markstrom to Treliving in Toronto is probably not all that high.

2. Cam Talbot - He's old but he showed that he's still more than capable. Been around the block so shouldn't be too affected by being in Toronto; and will likely come cheap.

Not at all interested in Saros and his likely $7m+ extension. Teams generally don't win with high priced goaltending as you're going to run into one, if not multiple teams along hte way that gets a guy who matches him for less than half that.

Going after the career backups -- Stolarz, Broissoit, in my opinion would be a mistake; you need somebody that can be the #1 if Woll faulters.

Markstrom being 35 makes him a ton less interesting to me. Especially since he seems to run hot and cold a bit year by year

Reactions: Brown Dog

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Go out and get Saros and allow Will to backup

Keep Hildeby out of the league to cook

Reactions: Dog

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Markstrom being 35 makes him a ton less interesting to me. Especially since he seems to run hot and cold a bit year by year

There are no "long term" solutions in goal available. The only way you get a "long term" solution is by betting on a guy like Oettenger, Shesterkin, etc. when they are young. Hoping obviously Woll turns into that.

Reactions: TMLife17

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Mirtle has recently confirmed the front office sees Woll as part of the plan, so they likely need a vet on a 1-3 year deal capable of eating up games (at least 50ish), especially given Wolls injury history.

Saros likely the Wild card, but he's going to get like 7-8ish million long term, so that's only happening if a core piece is moved out this offseason

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Mirtle has recently confirmed the front office sees Woll as part of the plan, so they likely need a vet on a 1-3 year deal capable of eating up games (at least 50ish), especially given Wolls injury history.

Saros likely the Wild card, but he's going to get like 7-8ish million long term, so that's only happening if a core piece is moved out this offseason
I would prefer Plan A there. Woll/Hildeby offer enough upside that I'd rather not invest big dollars in a goalie, especially until Tavares is off the books. Goaltending is a need, but there are lots of others that take precedence (namely remaking the D).

Reactions: OddyOh

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Nobody will care about that if he plays like an $8M goalie while sitting out 0 games in the playoffs.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Nobody will care about that if he plays like an $8M goalie while sitting out 0 games in the playoffs.

They can't score more than 1 playoff goal in games 7s with the current depth and we think they'll be able to do so with a better goalie?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Stolarz or Brossoit please. You would think both would want a situation to potentially win a starters job and we can pay them like 2.5-3 mil. Both have had multiple high sv% years in a row.

You aren't winning a cup with those guys as your #1.

Adain Hill happens about once every 10 years on average and he happened last year so It's going to be awhile

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad