Samsonov's Replacement?

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
With all the uncertainty surrounding the team currently, one thing seems to be sure: we won't see Ilya Samsonov in a Leafs uniform again.

And while Joseph Woll showed a lot of promise, his inability to stay healthy means we probably can't count on him as anything more than 1B for now.

So what's the game plan for this vital position?

Prioritize the acquisition of a franchise #1?

Another 1-year stop gap and re-evaluate readiness of Woll/Hildeby after this year?

Stay cheap and roll the dice on Woll as 1A and add a couple veteran backups?

Any specific targets make sense?

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I can think of a goalie I want badly that's out in the market.
We have to hope Hidelby turns out to be something and Woll can stay healthy

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto

I would go after Gustavsson. 25 years old, solid goaltender, signed for 3 years at 3.5m had a good year last year on Minny, this year wasn't as good but that's also not a good team. Could be a good young duo with Woll and him.

Then I would bring back Jones or Murray as the 3rd string goalie.

Reactions: The Iceman

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
I think they roll Woll with a high end backup, with Hildeby in the wings
Stolarz or Brossoit at 2yrs 2-3m but still show confidence in Woll and call him your 1A. Keep Jones as #3 and have Hidelby get a ton of starts in the AHL.

If the duo doesn’t work go after the likes of Saros, Hill off-season after, or maybe Hidelby shows he’s ready.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think so too.

Woll has earned it. What's the point of developing him if not to test him when it matters.

How has Woll earned anything? He missed 3 months of this season because he got hurt on a muffin of a shot.

And then took himself out of game 7 because he tried to make a save in game 6 that he literally did not need to make, and he didn't even make it.

I fail to see how he's earned anything at this point when he spent more time injured than he did playing this year.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020

I would go after Gustavsson. 25 years old, solid goaltender, signed for 3 years at 3.5m had a good year last year on Minny, this year wasn't as good but that's also not a good team. Could be a good young duo with Woll and him.

Then I would bring back Jones or Murray as the 3rd string goalie.
I’d love to acquire both Gustavsson and Rossi. Not sure what it would take on our end but I’m sure it’ll start with a 1st ++.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'd be calling on every goalie potentially available Gibson, Markstrom, Merzlikns Saros, Jarry, Gustavson, potentially Freddy if Carolina makes a move.

I like Woll he's shown flashes of brilliance, but this idea that he's "earnef it." is ridiculous when he's spent more time time hurt then he has healthy this year you can't earn anything if you are injured and can't play, which by the way he currently is and unless I missed it, we don't know how long he's out, he could be out until December for all we know.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I’d love to acquire both Gustavsson and Rossi. Not sure what it would take on our end but I’m sure it’ll start with a 1st ++.

Maybe that's the Marner deal, if there is one and until I see what happens with Shanny I'm not convinced there is going to be.

But if we could get both, I don't have an issue parting with a 1st++

especially if Marner is kept.

A
Domi Matthews Marner

Knies Rossi Nylander

Robertson Tavares McMann top is something that would be intriguing.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Stolarz or Brossoit at 2yrs 2-3m but still show confidence in Woll and call him your 1A. Keep Jones as #3 and have Hidelby get a ton of starts in the AHL.

If the duo doesn’t work go after the likes of Saros, Hill off-season after, or maybe Hidelby shows he’s ready.

I'd like this but would also be open to a Marner/Saros swap though I find that unlikely.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Maybe that's the Marner deal, if there is one and until I see what happens with Shanny I'm not convinced there is going to be.

But if we could get both, I don't have an issue parting with a 1st++

especially if Marner is kept.

A
Domi Matthews Marner

Knies Rossi Nylander

Robertson Tavares McMann top is something that would be intriguing.
Not bad but that top nine is a little too small for my liking… Domi, Marner, Rossi and Robertson all basically under 6ft. Then you add Matthews and Nylander who aren’t a threat physically.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
How has Woll earned anything? He missed 3 months of this season because he got hurt on a muffin of a shot.

And then took himself out of game 7 because he tried to make a save in game 6 that he literally did not need to make, and he didn't even make it.

I fail to see how he's earned anything at this point when he spent more time injured than he did playing this year.
Really? Your criticisms are a play he got injured on and then the fact that he was trying until the very end of a hockey game. You would have been happy if he stopped trying in a playoff game with 10 seconds left because we had a two goal lead?

Reactions: nofehr and Glacious

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Not bad but that top nine is a little too small for my liking… Domi, Marner, Rossi and Robertson all basically under 6ft. Then you add Matthews and Nylander who aren’t a threat physically.

That is the downside but the upside is

Domi 29, Matthews 26, Marner 26

Knies 21, Rossi 22, Nylander 28

Robertson 22, Tavares 35 McMann 27

and then you got Cowan and Minten coming up.

Gustavson and Woll are 25.

It's a pretty young group. at least up front and in net.

Reactions: Mr_Fun

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Really? Your criticisms are a play he got injured on and then the fact that he was trying until the very end of a hockey game. You would have been happy if he stopped trying in a playoff game with 10 seconds left because we had a two goal lead?

I mean if he doesn't take himself out of game 7 they are probably playing today, because chances are he doesn't allow either of the goals that beat Samsonov so in this case? yes.

I like Woll he's shown flashes of brilliance but you can't be the guy if you are constantly injured and he has been.

Reactions: The Iceman and Al14

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Re tooling has not geen successful to this point. Our biggest failure was drafting and developing. There is no flow of players from Marlies. Robertson has not been developed, Lily has been a failure, Knies was developed elsewhere. We have seen so many young guys on Marlies just disappear. Some were successful elsewhere, but not here.
Woll maybe a guy?
Dubas was a failure despite his junior background. Keefe could not coach young guys.
I do not think Berube can either.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I get this feeling we are going to trade for Daniel Vladar, Brad traded for him in Calgary and he's a big 6'5" goalie who showed some promise before. Not that I would necessarily be happy with it.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
to be honest I'd be tempted to run Woll, and Hildi
if we can get one of the good vets at 1 mil or less, then sure, Hildi can get more AHL time, but, goalies go on waivers often, and some are good.
No idea which goalies will become waiver eligible next season, but, often teams cant keep them on the roster. Montreal for example had to run 3 goalies to the trade deadline to avoid waivers, but, a 'better' team will not have that extra cap space.

Reactions: Confucius

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad