Samsonov's Replacement?

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Freddie had a stinker in that third period last night... Should have stayed with Kochetkov...

Classic Freddie in a do or die game. Overall he has good stats, and even good career playoff stats. But in game 7s for us, he repeatedly played poorly, let in softies, etc.

I like Stolarz as an option to pair with Woll, but I suspect he won't be that cheap. He's reasonably young and had a fantastic season.

Stolarz had some good years on an awful Anaheim team too.

I don't think he's the answer, but I think he's a good enough answer to pair with Woll for the year. Buys us time to assess Woll, and if Woll doesn't seize the starters role, then in 2025 you look at other options (when there will hopefully be more quality options available).

Reactions: Brown Dog

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Without ever seeing him play I'm putting my faith in Hildeby.

They should be fattening him up. Five hundred and fifty pounds. Good luck getting a puck past that.

I'm sick of the team getting "goalied".

Last year they ran with a depressed head case for a starter. Along with the broken and crippled body of Joseph Woll for backup. Not surprisingly both these guys let the team down at the worst time possible to do so.

I don't blame Samsonov and Woll either.

It's not their fault one is a basket case and the other is as durable as single ply wipe. It's the fault of a Toronto Maple Leafs organization that continues to treat the most important position in the sport as an afterthought. When you pay four forwards over half the cap the thought of saving a goal is only secondary consideration to scoring them.

Every year the Leafs get "goalied" in the playoffs and the answer is to get cheaper at that position every time.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Hildeby.

They should be fattening him up. Five hundred and fifty pounds. Good luck getting a puck past that.
1715949970549.png

source:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHijbIMsYuM

1715950077622.png

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Woll Jones and Hildeby

Go with a 3 tender program next season

Woll starts as #1 with Jones getting 30% of games as backup

Hildeby gets called up and plays 10-20% of games

See how it progresses and judge performance

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Toronto Maple Leafs GM Brad Treliving seemingly indicated that Ilya Samsonov's time with the Leafs is over, but we could see him back on a cheap contract once again.​

At his year-end press conference, Treliving didn't outright say that Samsonov's time in Toronto was over but his support of Joseph Woll indicated that Woll would be the starter next season as long as he is able to stay healthy.

While Woll had issues staying healthy, Samsonov had issues with consistency this season and, in January, was placed on waivers. During the season, he had four months with a save percentage well below .900, which is not a recipe for success. Although the second half of the season was far better for him, for the second straight playoffs, he saw himself benched in favour of Woll.

During his exit interview, Samsonov expressed his desire to stay in Toronto, but is also looking for a long-term deal to provide some stability to him and his family. Based on his performance this past season, Evolving Hockey projected that Samsonov will likely have to settle for another 1-year deal in the neighbourhood of $2.7M, which is a significant discount from last season.

• Wow
Reactions: OddyOh

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
Freddie is a loser. Some guys just are.

Until they are not.

Toronto Maple Leafs GM Brad Treliving seemingly indicated that Ilya Samsonov's time with the Leafs is over, but we could see him back on a cheap contract once again.​

At his year-end press conference, Treliving didn't outright say that Samsonov's time in Toronto was over but his support of Joseph Woll indicated that Woll would be the starter next season as long as he is able to stay healthy.

While Woll had issues staying healthy, Samsonov had issues with consistency this season and, in January, was placed on waivers. During the season, he had four months with a save percentage well below .900, which is not a recipe for success. Although the second half of the season was far better for him, for the second straight playoffs, he saw himself benched in favour of Woll.

During his exit interview, Samsonov expressed his desire to stay in Toronto, but is also looking for a long-term deal to provide some stability to him and his family. Based on his performance this past season, Evolving Hockey projected that Samsonov will likely have to settle for another 1-year deal in the neighbourhood of $2.7M, which is a significant discount from last season.

I am fine with this. Hoping we could use some draft capital to shore up our goaltending in the meantime.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Woll Jones and Hildeby

Go with a 3 tender program next season

Woll starts as #1 with Jones getting 30% of games as backup

Hildeby gets called up and plays 10-20% of games

See how it progresses and judge performance
Woll's pro career high in 5 seasons is 33 games played in a season.

His LIFETIME HIGH is 37(!!!!!!) f***ing games in 10 years of history.

To bank on him playing even half a season worth of games would be foolish. But the Leafs continue to amaze so we'll see.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I just posted a silly proposal in another thread which is basically trade an outcast for outcast in a rights swap
Skinner rights for Samsonov rights
Reasoning for us, Oilers goalies become stars once they leave the Oilers, and the Oil seem to like ex-leafs

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This is someone I would be perhaps looking at to backup Woll at the right price point..

Alex Nedeljkovic is a 28 year old goaltender who was born on Jan. 7, 1996. He was drafted 37th overall by the Carolina Hurricanes in the 2nd round of the 2014 entry draft.

1715952628557.png

He is currently coming off a 1 year @ $1.5 mil deal.

He nearly dragged a mismanaged disorganized Penguins team into the playoffs getting like 20 straight starts to end the season.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
This is someone I would be perhaps looking at to backup Woll at the right price point..

Alex Nedeljkovic is a 28 year old goaltender who was born on Jan. 7, 1996. He was drafted 37th overall by the Carolina Hurricanes in the 2nd round of the 2014 entry draft.

View attachment 872225

He nearly dragged a mismanaged disorganized Penguins team into the playoffs getting like 20 straight starts to end the season.
.901, .895, .902. With Wolls injury history they need a safer player and I think this guy looks more like a backup than a 1b. I like Stolarz a lot more but he has never played more than 28 games. Unfortunately I think it will be them taking who they can afford, at least for the short term.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004

View attachment 872225

I like this idea too. He can give you 40-50 games if need be. Probably won't cost much with options out there in net.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004

View attachment 872225

not a fan of 'small' goalies, they tend to get exposed in the playoffs (i.e. Saros) for some reason more than the regular season, where they look great

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
as long as he is able to stay healthy

The infamous words that will come back to haunt us when just 3 days before the playoffs are set to start a scorching hot Woll twists something warming up at practice and is out for just long enough for the Buds to get eliminated.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
The infamous words that will come back to haunt us when just 3 days before the playoffs are set to start a scorching hot Woll twists something warming up at practice and is out for just long enough for the Buds to get eliminated.

Like when he wins two games to force a game seven and give fans hope only to get hurt and miss the game and they lose.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
.901, .895, .902. With Wolls injury history they need a safer player and I think this guy looks more like a backup than a 1b. I like Stolarz a lot more but he has never played more than 28 games. Unfortunately I think it will be them taking who they can afford, at least for the short term.
Ned is really, really weird. He looked like a world-beater with Carolina, but like Swiss cheese with Detroit.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I just posted a silly proposal in another thread which is basically trade an outcast for outcast in a rights swap
Skinner rights for Samsonov rights
Reasoning for us, Oilers goalies become stars once they leave the Oilers, and the Oil seem to like ex-leafs
Skinner signed through 2025-26 season. Two more seasons.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Woll, Hildeby, Jones is actually an idea I am okay with.

If Marner is moved on from, they can afford to have a larger roster
Its not any stretch that Woll will get injured, Hildeby turns out to be a year away, and Jones is just slightly worse than last year and they will be scratching to get to 100pts. They need a guy who can play 40+ at .910 if they have faith in Woll and someone better than that if they think his durability makes him a likely backup.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think they'll likely look at Woll's off-season habits and try to get him healthy for a year but I think Tree fired the warning shot, if Woll can't stay healthy, they're turning to someone else.

I think Friedman said they had been approached on Hildeby but basically said no chance.

I think they do need a goalie though...I think Anthony Stolarz on a 2 year deal around 2.75M is going to make the most sense, he's had strong numbers league wide and a big guy that takes up a lot of the net.

If Woll goes down to injury, the team likely looks for another goalie, maybe Saros if he becomes available still a Predator at the TDL or another goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad