Samsonov's Replacement?

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
winnwell-72-shooter-tutor-nylon-target-399fbccb-c2dd-4960-93ba-b1bc1c22b7a9-jpgrendition.jpg

Reactions: Dreakmur

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Thank god you aren't GM because that's just lazy.
lol, the reason i'd do this is because spend all the gained cap space on UFA D-men to finally have a solid back end ...and consider trading Rielly if he would waive.
I'd try to sign all 3 Carolina UFA d-men, Zadorov and one of Roy/Walker/Carrier ...if Pesce is priced out Tanev

ideally
Rielly - Pesce/Tanev
McCabe/Skjei ($$$)- Roy
Zadorov-Lili
Benoit

open to trading Lil, or even McCabe (he'd get the better return)

now, thats unrealistic given the limited $$ and Skjei would likely be the one out, but, it would be a huge improvement
If JT agreed to waive, this D-core would be possible.

Reactions: Puckstuff

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
What about the third string Vancouver goalie ?

Arturs Silovs

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Gibson will always be my first choice. He gets a lot of hate lately but he's still somewhat young and is far and away the most talented goalie possibly on the market. Anaheim's been so terrible for so long I don't blame him for losing interest. No idea what a trade would look like though given his cap hit.

Blackwood is another one I'd target to split time with Woll. His injury came at an unfortunate time for NJ, but in SJ he's proven he's recovered nicely.

Brossoit seems unable to handle a large workload but if you trust Woll enough to get 45 starts, Brossoit is an ideal backup.

Saros would be nice, but he'd be the most expensive to trade for and his extension will be ugly. No chance in hell Boston trades Ullmark in division, at least not to Toronto. Markstrom isn't all that appealing

What about the third string Vancouver goalie ?

Arturs Silovs
He probably graduates to backup next year and they move on from Desmith.

I also wouldn't trust him yet in a 1B situation

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
Hildeby was drafted as a 22 year old and had multiple teams inquiring about him. He could steal the job next season. At the very minimum he will get a look. This has to be a stop gap year where they acquire a vet with 1 year remaining or sign whoever got left without a team during UFA. It's gotta be than a Jones type but there can't be term, because the season after will be crucial with Woll and Hildeby up for contracts.

Maximum leafage would be re-signing Murray for 800k and running the cheapest and most injury prone tandem in history. Hildeby will get plenty of looks then, which opens up more time for Akhtiamov.. lol

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I think they'll throw money at Talbot.
Just like with T-Mac, stay far away. You don't want the guy who lost the net to Big Sieve Dave

I have zero faith in Woll's ability to stay in the lineup. Until he proves otherwise, you need two additional goalies this offseason
Really you need a 1B and a career backup who's ok being paid to hangout like Jones did this year. I would not be comfortable putting the 3rd string on waivers next season given Woll's injuries

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
They can put a one-legged flamingo in net and I'll be fine with it if it means getting rid of Samsonov

Reactions: The Iceman

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
The upcoming UFA market for goaltenders is very underwhelming. We need to go the trade route for a serious upgrade.

Who's out there?
I can't think of a single goalie available that's really good

Askarov?
Wellestdad?
Saros?

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
There's no player or asset other than Matthews that wouldn't be on the table to get Saros or Askarov from Nashville.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Trade might be the best route to see what's out there.

Gibson, Ullmark, Saros, Hill/Thompson, or maybe a Markstrom.

They can go with the Broissoit or Stolarz option and make a tandem with Woll but it still seems flimsy.

Reactions: Puckstuff

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
I'm mostly fine with a Woll and Hildeby tandem if that all that can be conjured up. Not the best, but certainly not the worst.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I mean if he doesn't take himself out of game 7 they are probably playing today, because chances are he doesn't allow either of the goals that beat Samsonov so in this case? yes.

I like Woll he's shown flashes of brilliance but you can't be the guy if you are constantly injured and he has been.
I mean, it's more likely that if he played game 7 we lose 22-0. Did you see him trying to get off the bus? The man was hurt.

Are you suggesting he was faking? I really don't understand what your complaint is here? That he got hurt?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Watching Hellebuyck fall flat on his face this playoffs made me more wary than ever to hand out an expensive contract to a vet.

Unless a young up and coming bluechip falls into the teams lap via trade, I'd look for a solid tandem goalie to eat up games for Woll and also try and sign a cheap vet #3 and try and sneak them through waivers like they just did with Jones (maybe even Murray?)

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I mean, it's more likely that if he played game 7 we lose 22-0. Did you see him trying to get off the bus? The man was hurt.

Are you suggesting he was faking? I really don't understand what your complaint is here? That he got hurt?

The reason he got hurt is because he tried to make that save, they even said it today at the press conference he got injured at the conclusion of game 6 which means he got injured on that save attempt.

Now he has a back injury.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
The reason he got hurt is because he tried to make that save, they even said it today at the press conference he got injured at the conclusion of game 6 which means he got injured on that save attempt.

Now he has a back injury.
I get all of that. I am not sur what you are blaming him for? Getting injured? Trying to the end of a playoff game?

Your wording, and may not be your intention here, is coming across like you are upset and him or blaming him for something.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Markstrom. Unless we can swing a deal for Sorokin for Marner I’d consider that.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
lol, the reason i'd do this is because spend all the gained cap space on UFA D-men to finally have a solid back end ...and consider trading Rielly if he would waive.
I'd try to sign all 3 Carolina UFA d-men, Zadorov and one of Roy/Walker/Carrier ...if Pesce is priced out Tanev

ideally
Rielly - Pesce/Tanev
McCabe/Skjei ($$$)- Roy
Zadorov-Lili
Benoit

open to trading Lil, or even McCabe (he'd get the better return)

now, thats unrealistic given the limited $$ and Skjei would likely be the one out, but, it would be a huge improvement
If JT agreed to waive, this D-core would be possible.

So you go with an injury prone starter and COMPLETELY unproven backup? Thank god you aren't GM because that's just lazy and also not smart

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I get all of that. I am not sur what you are blaming him for? Getting injured? Trying to the end of a playoff game?

Your wording, and may not be your intention here, is coming across like you are upset and him or blaming him for something.

I'm saying he shouldn't have tried to make that save because he literally didn't need to, because the game was over regardless.

I wouldn't normally say that but the next game is game 7, I'd rather he give up on 1 play in a game that's already over, because that's the key here that game was OVER.

I'd rather he give up on 1 play in a game that's already over and perserve himself for game 7 then what actually happened.

Because what actually happened probably cost them their season, and absolutely DID cause a back injury.

The back injury is important here because Vasi was out until December with a back injury.

They need 1 for sure, depending on how serious the injury is they might need 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad