Samsonov's Replacement?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
It's about recognizing that Woll has played well enough but not often enough to be the guy in net just yet. I'd be looking to bring in a 1A or 1B for the short term who has the ability to take over if and when that's needed.

Reactions: Wrong Wilson

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
If cap space is freed up by trading core pieces I would go big game hunting for one of Saros, Markstrom or Ullmark.

If not then FA I go for Stolarz first then Broissault.

Or keep options open for a trade in season.

One thing I saw no point in last year, why do you need to blow every last cent in the off season. Klingberg money could have been saved to see who shook free in waivers at camp or a mid season trade.

If no good solution just ride a young guy or league minimum guy until something else opens up.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
to be honest I'd be tempted to run Woll, and Hildi
if we can get one of the good vets at 1 mil or less, then sure, Hildi can get more AHL time, but, goalies go on waivers often, and some are good.
No idea which goalies will become waiver eligible next season, but, often teams cant keep them on the roster. Montreal for example had to run 3 goalies to the trade deadline to avoid waivers, but, a 'better' team will not have that extra cap space.

Thank god you aren't GM because that's just lazy.

Reactions: Brad C

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It's about recognizing that Woll has played well enough but not often enough to be the guy in net just yet. I'd be looking to bring in a 1A or 1B for the short term who has the ability to take over if and when that's needed.

Up to this point It's been when and that's the problem.

Reactions: Buds17

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I would go after Gustavsson. 25 years old, solid goaltender, signed for 3 years at 3.5m had a good year last year on Minny, this year wasn't as good but that's also not a good team. Could be a good young duo with Woll and him.

Then I would bring back Jones or Murray as the 3rd string goalie.

I don’t mind Gustavsson but he did have a Samsonov style meltdown last year.

Anthony Stolarz has been quietly impressive for a couple of years now. First in Anaheim and then in Florida.

Can we broker a 3-way and get Linus Ullmark out of Boston?

What is the situation with Sorokin on the Island? Things got weird with Roy choosing ex-Avs Varlamov for the playoff run.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010

Anthony Stolarz has been quietly impressive for a couple of years now. First in Anaheim and then in Florida.

What is the situation with Sorokin on the Island? Things got weird with Roy choosing ex-Avs Varlamov for the playoff run.

I'd call Buffalo for a goaltender. They got both Devon Levi and UPL now. Levi put up unreal numbers basically wherever he went and UPL looked great this season.

I'd stay away from Sarros given the price and the fact he's 5'11. Just because he put up good numbers in Nashville behind a strong defensive team doesn't mean it would translate. Every goalie that played for Nashville this year had better stats than Sarros.

Reactions: nofehr

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'd call Buffalo for a goaltender. They got both Devon Levi and UPL now. Levi put up unreal numbers basically wherever he went and UPL looked great this season.

I'd stay away from Sarros given the price and the fact he's 5'11. Just because he put up good numbers in Nashville behind a strong defensive team doesn't mean it would translate.

Yeah I’d take a look at UPL. Levi is small like Saros though so if you don’t like small goalies I wouldn’t go for him. He probably needs some development time.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Yeah I’d take a look at UPL. Levi is small like Saros though so if you don’t like small goalies I wouldn’t go for him. He probably needs some development time.

I figure the price on Levi would be much lower than the price of Saros. Levi put up ,927 in the AHL this year and is currently putting up .938 in the AHL playoffs. I'm assuming that Buffalo would trade UPL before him.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I’d bring Jones back as a backup.

He had like 5 good games and then fell off hard.

I'd sign him to a contract like last year and try to sneak him through waivers... he is a solid #3, but he has to be one of the worst backups.

Having said that, no good goalies on the market, unless it is through trade.

Reactions: arso40

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
He had like 5 good games and then fell off hard.

I'd sign him to a contract like last year and try to sneak him through waivers... he is a solid #3, but he has to be one of the worst backups.

Having said that, no good goalies on the market, unless it is through trade.

Cam Talbot looks good if you're looking for a backup. Was good everywhere he went except the dumpster fire in Ottawa.

Reactions: Wrong Wilson

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Cam Talbot looks good if you're looking for a backup. Was good everywhere he went except the dumpster fire in Ottawa.

I have no answers for goaltending... I think you go 1A/1B and then bring Hildeby up when there are injuries, just not sure of the 1B.

Talbot is older now, but if he is willing to sign a one-year deal, would be decent.

I just hope (based on who is available), we don't sign anyone long-term if they go the FA route.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I figure the price on Levi would be much lower than the price of Saros. Levi put up ,927 in the AHL this year and is currently putting up .938 in the AHL playoffs. I'm assuming that Buffalo would trade UPL before him.

I think it might be a wash since he’s their franchise goalie of the future. Whereas Saros is at peak form now.

UPL did take the reins for a bit in Buffalo late in season. No idea what they’ll be thinking.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I’d bring Jones back as a backup.
As the backup to Woll? I think Jones would work better as the #2 to an already established starter who has previously assumed the workload of a starter. He'd be an option to return here as the #3 but I like his chances of securing that backup role elsewhere.

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
I don't think UPL will be available at all.

Kevin Adams in Buffalo said the other day they are working on an extension for him and talks are going well.... and in Lindy Ruff's hiring press conference a reporter asked him who is goaltender would be and he said something close to "I have 3 words for you: U.P.L."

I think Buffalo's plan now is something like Boston did the past few years with Swayman and Ulmark...Buffalo seems to be wanting UPL to be the clear starter, with an ultra-talented young guy like Levi behind him....and see if eventually Levi can take over a couple years down the road.

With that said, I know its tough with a division opponent (But so is Buffalo) but try to get a former Sabres netminder in Ulmark. He seems to clearly be the #2 in Boston now, but he has been very goo/great for a few years in a row now.

Plus if you did manage to pry UPL from Buffalo, he'd want to be the starter over Woll. UPL is a workhorse. From January 1 until the end of the season, I think he had the most starts in the league (or was tied for first), and he didn't wear down. Behind that Sabres team, he had a .919 save percentage and a 2.31 gaa over that time. You wouldn't be giving up assets to bring him here as a backup.

Last edited:

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The upcoming UFA market for goaltenders is very underwhelming. We need to go the trade route for a serious upgrade.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't think UPL will be available at all.

Kevin Adams in Buffalo said the other day they are working on an extension for him and talks are going well, and in Lindy Ruff's hiring press conference a reporter asked him who is goaltender would be and he said something close to "I have 3 words for you. U.P.L."

I think Buffalo's plan now is something like Boston did the past few years with Swayman and Ulmark...Buffalo seems to be wanting UPL to be the clear starter, with an ultra-talented young guy like Levi behind them....and see if eventually Levi can take over a couple years down the road.

With that said, I know its tough with a division opponent (But so is Buffalo) but try to get a former Sabres netminder in Ulmark. He seems to clearly be the #2 in Boston now, but he has been very goo/great for a few years in a row now.

UPL does seem to be at the level Ullmark was at a few years ago and if they let him go before a breakout it would feel disastrous. Especially to a second Atlantic Division team. So I do agree.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto

I would avoid paying a goalie anything over 5m. Far too wishy washy in the playoffs. Speaking of flipping Ullmark, Boston did the exact same thing with Jones. King's didn't want to trade him within the division so they traded him to Boston and Boston flipped him right away to San jose.

Shooter14

57 years now and still hoping.
Feb 5, 2018
The only two goalies that the Leafs should heavily pursue as they will both be UFA, who are 30 years old and are very capable being number 1 starters, should be Stolarz who has a very respectable 2.03 GAA and a .925 sv%, with 27 starts. Bobrovosky will still have 2 more years on his contract and I doubt Stolarz will be the number 1 goalie moving forward for Florida.
The other is Brossoit from Winnipeg also with a very respectable 2.00 GAA and a .927 save %, with 23 starts. With Helleybuyck having 5 more years on his contract I doubt he will take over. Going the trade route would cost them assets which they don't have much, in terms of draft picks and prospects. They should be the Leafs priority.

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad