Ansar Khan: Sammy healthy, not playing

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Sammy being healthy and playing like he looks healthy on the ice are two different things. Sammy is healthy enough to bag my groceries, but he isn't healthy enough to be a productive NHL player.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I might have guessed otherwise, given all of the Hudler hate on this board. I wonder how many people who said "Sammy>Hudler" are sticking with that position right now?

For reference:
Hudler: 41GP, 10-16-26, 56 shots, 17.9s%
Samuelsson: 4GP, 0-1-1, 4 shots, 0.0s%.

Oh look...it's this again.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I might have guessed otherwise, given all of the Hudler hate on this board. I wonder how many people who said "Sammy>Hudler" are sticking with that position right now?

For reference:

I don't think there's a person on the planet that said Samuelsson was better than Hudler.

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
Must be, because I really don't recall anyone saying that. :laugh:

Oh really?

Samuelsson is a CLEAR upgrade over Hudler.
Yeah, I'll take Sammy over Hudler.
Good news is Hudler will be overpaid by someone else
Signing him with that cap hit today is slightly better than it was when he left last time. With the news regarding being out of the Parise running, I can stomach this. It also IMO seals Hudler's departure.

And that's just from one thread.

Sammy>Hudler was said often by many... most notably by fabricoh.

I wonder what fabricoh's stance on Hudler/Samuelsson is right now, and whether we should have kept Hudler at the $4m/4 or whatever. Come to think of it, is there any forward on the team who is more durable? Hudler has missed like maybe ten games due to injury in his entire NHL career. If that.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'd still take Sammy over Hudler. Shorter contract and he fit the team need better.

If you sign Hudler at 4x4 you're basically saying he's in the top 6 until 2017. And I don't think that's wise with Nyquist and Tatar ready to take over. Sammy, on the other hand, will either be injured or gone shortly. So there we go.

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
I'd still take Sammy over Hudler. Shorter contract and he fit the team need better.

If you sign Hudler at 4x4 you're basically saying he's in the top 6 until 2017. And I don't think that's wise with Nyquist and Tatar ready to take over. Sammy, on the other hand, will either be injured or gone shortly. So there we go.

Hudler is a first-line forward in the NHL right now. He has outplayed Franzen for two consecutive seasons. Not sure why you don't want him in the top-six.

Nyquist and Tatar are both on pace for basically 25-30 points if they were given Hudler's situation. Not ~55 points. Maybe in 3 years, they'll be close to his current offensive level.

But then, that would be at the end of his current contract, wouldn't it?

The Wings needed to keep or replace Hudler, and ADD a top-six goal-scoring forward. They added the top-sixer (arguably) in Brunner, but they don't have a replacement for Hudler. Combine that with my correct forecast that Filppula's numbers would drop off significantly with Hudler gone, and the Wings suffered a considerable offensive loss up front.

Hopefully, Holland buys Sammy out, and signs Flip (under $5m) and Weiss.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
It's just too much contract for a guy that's not somebody you want to lean on. Calgary leaned on him this year, and he did fine, but look at the standings. That's what happens when Hudler is one of your go-to guys.

And subsequently, that same argument is why people don't want to overplay Filppula. It's a very similar situation to last season. It's not that Hudler or Flip are bad players, but it's about managing your cash towards the correct assets. It's my estimation that Nyquist and Tatar will replace his production for a fraction of the cost while also adding significant and much needed speed.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I like 22, and I think he could be valuable if we were actually using him. But I don't think 7 min a game is worth keeping Sammy out of the lineup for.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Hudler is a first-line forward in the NHL right now. He has outplayed Franzen for two consecutive seasons. Not sure why you don't want him in the top-six.

Maybe I'm bad at counting but isn't 29 more than 26 and 56 more than 50?

Also despite playing on one of the higher scoring teams in the league Hudler is a team worst in +/- or very close to it.

He wasn't let go because he couldn't score, he was let go because he's now an overpaid terrible skater who is a liability defensively.

I do admire your persistence when it comes to Hudler though, you can turn any thread into a Hudler thread.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
I like 22, and I think he could be valuable if we were actually using him. But I don't think 7 min a game is worth keeping Sammy out of the lineup for.

IMO 7 min of Tootoo serves more purpose than 10-15 minutes of Sammy, however Sammy playing 1 minute a game would be more useful than Cleary this whole year.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
While Samuelsson was not my favourite free agent, I did not dislike the signing as much as most users here obviously did. Instead of playing limited players like Abdelkader or Miller on the top lines, Samuelsson could have made a nice impact. Now the team seems to be finally clicking, even Eaves and Tootoo produced against the Kings. So I understand that Babcock does not want unnecessary changes; but I still consider Samuelsson a slightly valuable asset (of course not as a trade bait). If the Red Wings get the missing three points, every move will become a little better retroactively.

Gruß,
BSHH

Uno Bench

Swedish citizen
Mar 7, 2012
Ugh! Lots of disrespect in this thread for a pretty good NHL- player. Don't know if he still usefull and producing cause he hasnt played enough to judgment that. To many of you; no need to whine about everything and talk smack about and bring down evry player not named Yzerman or Lidström, all the time..

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010

For reference:

If you have a crystal ball that predicted this string of injuries, please give it to me now so that I can win the lottery. If you don't have the capacity to predict the future, please stop acting like this season's stats for the two validate any of your inveterately pro-Hudler opinions; you've been making this same asinine claim all season, and it has continued to have no foundation whatsoever. More, given that Samuelsson has been injured the entire season, measuring the stats of the two against each other and calling Hudler "better" makes absolutely no sense. But hey, let's give it a shot:

Abdelkader: 46 GP, 9-2-11
Spezza: 5 GP, 2-3-5

Gee, I wonder how many of the people who said "Spezza > Abdelkader" are sticking with that position right now? News: in order to compare the performance of two players, or two anythings, you need to have a viable sample size for both.

Finally, I would have been fine having nobody at all over four years of Hudler at $4m.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad