Ansar Khan: Sammy healthy, not playing

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
He can't get hurt again if he doesn't play...

Meanwhile, I embrace a Bert return...or at least I want to see if he has anything left.

crashman

I think this is the way it's been for a good portion of the season. Of course I'm just speculating, but I think he's been healthy enough to play more than we know. I think Sammy can be a useful player, but Babcock only seems to value you him for his RH shot, and since we have Brunner, Babs doesn't see the need for Sammy.

RedWingsNow*

Sammy has no value outside the powerplay. Who does he bump off the powerplay?

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
tard-grumpy-cat-good-sad-13529885618.jpg

He's useless anyways, and shouldn't of had a roster spot BEFORE Nyquist and Tatar played, let alone now.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
tard-grumpy-cat-good-sad-13529885618.jpg

He's useless anyways, and shouldn't of had a roster spot BEFORE Nyquist and Tatar played, let alone now.

He never had a roster spot to begin with, considering he's only played 3 games the whole dang season. But a 15-20 goal scorer would have been welcomed on this offense-starved roster.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Good move. Team looked great against Phoenix, and really they've been playing pretty well the last while despite not scoring goals. Don't mess with the lineup by throwing in a guy that has barely played all year, and who has honestly looked like crap every time he has played.

I don't think the Sammy signing was terrible, if he was healthy he could have been useful and would have probably helped our offense a bit. But I see absolutely zero reason to have him around next year. He was never more than a 3rd liner (or top 6 when carried by superstars) and now he's older and can't stay healthy. Buyout.

RedWingsNow*

Good move. Team looked great against Phoenix, and really they've been playing pretty well the last while despite not scoring goals. Don't mess with the lineup by throwing in a guy that has barely played all year, and who has honestly looked like crap every time he has played.

I don't think the Sammy signing was terrible, if he was healthy he could have been useful and would have probably helped our offense a bit. But I see absolutely zero reason to have him around next year. He was never more than a 3rd liner (or top 6 when carried by superstars) and now he's older and can't stay healthy. Buyout.

If he was healthy, Nyquist would be in the AHL all year.

Geki

Jul 2, 2003
Visit site
I think Sammy can be a useful player, but Babcock only seems to value you him for his RH shot, and since we have Brunner, Babs doesn't see the need for Sammy.

The only use for Sammy is to test the glass above/behind the net, to see how many wrist shots it can withstand.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Winger, you nearly game me a heart attack. I read this as "Jimmy healthy, not playing" and went "WTF Babcock??"

I agree that this is keeping him healthy for a buyout.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Still can't figure why we didn't move White at trade deadline unless there was no interest. Pretty clear he's done playing

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I would have sat Eaves or Tootoo for him, especially with the way we use our fourth line. Give him 6-8 minutes tonight see where he is at. I hated this signing, I wrote a month before it happened it was the one thing I hoped Holland wouldn't do the past off-season. But Sammy when healthy does bring something to the lineup. It clearly hasn't worked out, but even as a person who was very low on the idea of Sammy he does bring value when he is out there, it just hasn't happened.

Interesting in the Babcock interview, Bert cannot go he seems bummed. Sammy can go and he isn't interested. Babcock asks for right handed shots , some size, secondary scoring and jam. Holland goes out and gets him Sammy and Tootoo and he pretty much refuses to play them. This is in large part what he asked for going into the summer, maybe he should have told Holland he didn't actually want these particular guys. Interesting also that Sammy is the first real veteran Babcock guy (we know he likes Sammy) that he isn't giving special treatment. Guess when it is win or go home only then does Babcock change his tune and stick with the young guns. That restores some faith in Babcock for me as well, but wondering why it took so long for him to take a hard position with a vet, Sammy is a popular guy in that locker room so it wouldn't be different then having sent Cleary a message early in the year. Vets hate losing spots to injury in just the same way and that is how this will be perceived. As a fan I have no problem with it, if you're hurt and someone grabs your spot that is just a tough break, but most players are on record about this shouldn't happen. I guess there goes the country club and it's about time.

RedWingsNow*

I'd take his 12-14 useless minutes over Cleary's 12-14 useless minutes.. but in the end, who cares.

Well, Babcock likes his Cleary.

And I don't think it would come down to Sammy vs Cleary. I think it comes down to Sammy vs Nyquist... or, on the powerplay, Sammy vs Kindl

I'm comfortable with the decision to keep Sammy out. He never should have been brought back

Soft Rock Renegade

May 17, 2012
Well, Babcock likes his Cleary.

And I don't think it would come down to Sammy vs Cleary. I think it comes down to Sammy vs Nyquist... or, on the powerplay, Sammy vs Kindl

I'm comfortable with the decision to keep Sammy out. He never should have been brought back

in this case though its sammy versus eaves/tootoo. i can see him wanting eaves to PK with miller out, but sammy over tootoo doesn't make sense to me. i don't think sammys looked that bad in the three games he's played this season either. i know every game is must win right now, but if sammy can't play, we just go with 11 forwards. tootoo barely plays anyway

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
He never had a roster spot to begin with, considering he's only played 3 games the whole dang season. But a 15-20 goal scorer would have been welcomed on this offense-starved roster.

I might have guessed otherwise, given all of the Hudler hate on this board. I wonder how many people who said "Sammy>Hudler" are sticking with that position right now?

For reference:
Hudler: 41GP, 10-16-26, 56 shots, 17.9s%
Samuelsson: 4GP, 0-1-1, 4 shots, 0.0s%.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->