Value of: Sami Vatanen

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
But the other options are Megna and Vermette. Don't think they want Vermette and Megna is a good target for sure. Kerdiles isn't a late bloomer, he had injury issues, but always been a highly regarded player. He is a middle six potenital player and paced Gulls offensively in the playoffs. LV is going to need prospects, so Kerdiles and Megna are the best 2 options. LV would be smart to get an extra draft pick if the opportunity presented itself.

Injury issues or not, he's 23 and hasn't established himself as an NHL forward. The potential he had at the draft isn't necessarily the potential he can reach now. And that concussion he just came back from kept him out for a while -- that's a big red flag to LV. Maybe they might see a little interest in him (I honestly don't think they'll pass up on Vermette if he's exposed) but they're not going to be tripping over themselves to do a divisional rival a favor unless we offload something good. Something that possibly isn't worth keeping Vatanen for.

Move Vatanen for a young forward or futures and protect Kerdiles if we have a spot. We deal from a position of strength and bring assets in, rather than giving assets up to keep Vatanen here.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Nashville series showed otherwise :laugh:

Fowler over the years has been better. Fowler during this regular season was better. Vatanan can be better during periods of time but overall Fowler is better. I wonder how Vatanen would do leading Ducks defenseman in ice time against the same competition. Vatanen hasn't ever played 26+ min a game in the playoffs like Fowler did. It he did I am sure it would be hard on him to handle those mins.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
No. The Nashville series showed we struggle to win games when Getzlaf and Kesler fail to produce offensively. Getzlaf's production comes up short every year when we are eliminated.

Fowler over the years has been better. Fowler during this regular season was better. Vatanan can be better during periods of time but overall Fowler is better. I wonder how Vatanen would do leading Ducks defenseman in ice time against the same competition. Vatanen hasn't ever played 26+ min a game in the playoffs like Fowler did. It he did I am sure it would be hard on him to handle those mins.

If anything, the POs showed that Fowler can't lead that D too. Lots of Goals against due to bad D and bad defensiv assignments by the Forwards. Getzlaf was the main guy that missed his guy and opened lots of space due to bad D.

If anything, you'd Keep Vatanen over all the other D.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
The best move for Anaheim (by far) is to trade Vatanen directly for a ELC contract forward that is expansion exempt.

Nothing in the league makes more sense for both teams than:

Kapanen for Vatanen

Leafs probably need to add a 1st or 2nd, but given Anaheim's lack of bargaining power and the immaculateness of the fit, I'd still take it straight up.

Edit: Yes I know some will say he isn't a perfect stylistic fit - but you're really being way too spoiled here.

Leafs need a top-4 right handed defender. They have a bad defensive unit that was bottom-5 in the league and has been for years.

Vatanen is a very good top-4 right handed defender (a legit #3) with lots of experience under his belt including deep into the playoffs.

Yes you want Manson, you want Hedman, you want Doughty - but we have Vatanen and he's way more available than defenders of his stature typically are.

Anaheim doesn't need an expansion exempt forward. They only have 6 forwards that they would not want to lose. So a Vatanen deal for a forward they need to protect would work. Could also move him for picks or an exempt defenseman.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
If anything, the POs showed that Fowler can't lead that D too. Lots of Goals against due to bad D and bad defensiv assignments by the Forwards. Getzlaf was the main guy that missed his guy and opened lots of space due to bad D.

If anything, you'd Keep Vatanen over all the other D.

Hell to the no. Fowler is the guy to keep over him. Montour/Theo are better Vatanen replacements than Fowler.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
The best move for Anaheim (by far) is to trade Vatanen directly for a ELC contract forward that is expansion exempt.

Nothing in the league makes more sense for both teams than:

Kapanen for Vatanen

Leafs probably need to add a 1st or 2nd, but given Anaheim's lack of bargaining power and the immaculateness of the fit, I'd still take it straight up.

Edit: Yes I know some will say he isn't a perfect stylistic fit - but you're really being way too spoiled here.

Leafs need a top-4 right handed defender. They have a bad defensive unit that was bottom-5 in the league and has been for years.

Vatanen is a very good top-4 right handed defender (a legit #3) with lots of experience under his belt including deep into the playoffs.

Yes you want Manson, you want Hedman, you want Doughty - but we have Vatanen and he's way more available than defenders of his stature typically are.

leafs arent adding a mid 1st to kapanen for sami vatanen.
keep in mind they would then lose connor carrick to vegas in this scenario, and it doesnt make a whole lot of sense.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I'd easily trade sheary and a 1st for him but i doubt ana would be interested in that.

on the pen's sheary was 4th in scoreing 23 goals and 30 ast ....only sid, geno, and phil were ahead of him...and he's.ed exempt.. has already won one cup could be two.......I would not add a first.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He had a bad, bad start to the season but at the end looked like one of the best D-man for Anaheim.

Let the fun begin.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Vatanen's value before the exp. draft if he's to be exposed + possible destinations?
I always thought of him as being slightly underrated.
asked...

J.T Miller.
Call Murray up.
This deal depends on which way the Rangers decides to go. Shattenkirk as an free asset with a higher caphit or Vatanen in an trade.
I'd rather have Shatty, i hope his playoffs Will lower the $.
... wrong answer

Not a chance I would trade Miller for Vatanen, before the season I'd be all for it but Vatanen hasn't impressed me at all this year. Miller hit 56 points and still has untapped potential, he can hit 60+ next year. I don't really want Shatty or Vatanen that badly. ...
,,, correct answer

There is no deal to be made
NY will not take from its younger core

that leaves young or old vets:
Stepan/zuc
or Nash [at half]

Ana wants to continue current path, so no match

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
If the Devils aren't able to acquire Shattenkirk's rights in the next few weeks, I'd offer something like Adam Henrique + COL 3rd 2017

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Vatanen at 25, with 3 years signed to a fair term is easily worth a 1st rd pick or good young prospect and a player in my opinion given how everyone is looking for a defenceman in the NHL. Ducks are not going to give him away.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
If the Devils aren't able to acquire Shattenkirk's rights in the next few weeks, I'd offer something like Adam Henrique + COL 3rd 2017

My issue with Henrique is his contract status. The Ducks big contracts and cap concerns likely aren't going away over the next couple years. Henrique becomes a UFA at a time that the Ducks are going to have other fish to fry. Vatanen has three years of cost control/certainty, I'd prefer that the main piece in return has at least the same.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Puljujarvi from EDM would be a good player but ANA would need to add and not just a bit

This is HF... of course the mystery box with only 1 NHL game played is worth more than an established top 4 RHD on a good contract /eyeroll

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
This is HF... of course the mystery box with only 1 NHL game played is worth more than an established top 4 RHD on a good contract /eyeroll

He was a top 5 pick in a really good draft. I don't think HF is the only place where Puljujärvi has a lot of value.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Would really like him in Toronto but there are limits to what I'd be willing to pay. If it doesn't work out then I'd rather keep the assets and shop during free agency with guys like Shattenkirk, Smith, Alzner, Stone and even Kullikov available.

:leafs

Sami Vatanen

:ducks

Kapanen
3rd'17

That's the most I'd offer. It's a solid deal in which Anaheim gets to insert a speedster right away in their middle six who has scoring potential. One of the weakness in Anaheim's roster is the offensive depth after their top 6.

Toronto gets a top 4 RHD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad