Speculation: Samberg vs Heinola

Who is going to have the better season on the Jets this upcoming season?

• Total voters

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Simple question, who is going to have a better season in this year's upcoming season on the Jets (not the Moose)?

Samberg is injury free, from the car accident if people are wondering.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
i think heinola is the better player and prospect. idk if both of them are on the jets, would maurice really have 2 young rookies in the line up? Although, maurice apparently was pushing to keep heinola last year..... so Heinola gets my vote but barring injuries, i do not anticipate both being on the team to start.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think the Jets will leave Heinola in Finland to finish off his season in Liiga. This looks to be a very good development year for him and their season will likely be more than 1/2 over by the time the NHL starts. I just think the Jets wouldn't want to disrupt that and fly the kid half way around the world during a pandemic for what would likely be a very abbreviated camp. After his season and playoffs are over, I would then expect him to join the Jets.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I think the Jets will leave Heinola in Finland to finish off his season in Liiga. This looks to be a very good development year for him and their season will likely be more than 1/2 over by the time the NHL starts. I just think the Jets wouldn't want to disrupt that and fly the kid half way around the world during a pandemic for what would likely be a very abbreviated camp. After his season and playoffs are over, I would then expect him to join the Jets.

Sounds like an excellent plan. Makes sense to leave him in what's clearly a good spot for him in Liga, while leaving the door open for some games with the Jets bear the end. I don't see much chance of an AHL season before 21-12.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I believe the Jets plan on giving Samberg a big shot this year. From a contract and development perspective leaving Heinola in Finland to continue his positive development seems like the most logical plan for the org.

So my vote is Samberg as he will be the player getting the push.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Heinola will be a small soft and skilled second pairing dman that can hopefully run a powerplay

samberg will be a chariot type, hard checking tough 3rd pairing player, who is responsible. The Lowry of defense

Pickle Rick

Nov 11, 2016
Given the specific positional depth pairing by pairing on the Jets D for this season, I think it will be Samberg just because his style of play fills a bigger need for the Jets right now. Therefore he will be given a bigger opportunity. Either player seem equally capable of taking advantage of any opportunity given to them so I think this poll essentially becomes which player is more likely to get that shot, and I can see Samberg pairing Pionk on the second pair ahead of Heinola getting a chance on the second pair.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think Samberg will be at least at the level of Carlo, and fairly soon (maybe this season). He could turn into a Pesce / Manson level player. Big defensive shut-down D who can log a ton of minutes and anchor a PK.

I really like Heinola, but his impact will depend substantially on opportunity. I see his ceiling / impact as being more in the mold of Spurgeon, which would be outstanding.

Reactions: John Agar and ps241

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
This year? Samberg. He's bigger, older and he's used to playing on the small ice.

Heinola might be better long-term, but it's very unlikely he's better this year.

Reactions: Cypruss and hn777

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I hope it's Samberg - we need that type of Dman / player right now.
I also think he will have a lot less difficulty transitioning in the NHL - at least I hope that's the case.

Heinola is still a question mark for me - I want to see him be as comfortable as possible before he makes the leap.

Reactions: GNP and Jets 31

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I think Heinola. He’s going to be sharper due to play in Finland and he knows what to expect from the NHL and he already showed he can skate, and especially think, at the right pace.

I think he’s going to surprise us and steal our hearts all over again.

Reactions: JetsUK

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I think Heinola has the higher upside, could be our leading scoring defenseman by next year. Samberg is probably going to eat up some hard minutes though, once he finds his game. I'm still waiting to see which side he is going to play on. If it's the left side Morrissey-De Melo probably take up the primary defensive matchups, and Heinola would be a guy to get more of the offensive minutes. I'd say there is a better chance of the Finn winning the Norris one day.

As for this year. There might not be hockey. So that would give Heinola the edge still playing in pro league. Samberg has a better chance of playing for the Jets this year.

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg
So if you could clone people would you rather have a team of Sambergs or a team of Heinolas.

I would take a team of Sambergs

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I've only seen Heinola. I don't have any first hand viewings to judge.

Sounds like Samberg is ready to step in and I thought Heinola could have helped us last year.

It's a good problem to have!

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
I think if Heinola plays this season, he will contribute more than Samberg, and I think Samberg has a lot to add to the Jets. Heinola's slick puck passing ways out of the blue zone would** make the top 6 forwards much more productive than last year.

Last edited:

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I don't think Heinola makes the team this year, but I think if they both did Heinola would contribute more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad