Speculation: Sam Montembault to EDM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
If Montreal gets a 2nd for him, they should take it.
If they use it to draft a Lane Hutson quality prospect all will be good

27 year old goalie
111 NHL games worth of experience
Career 3.44 GAA .897 sv%
Doing passable this year but nothing about that says, "i should bet my season on this goalie working out". Ive watched a few Oiler games and while goaltending would help, their defensive breakdowns have been game destroying.
Most of those games have been under very trying circumstances

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
That's just not true. While I don't think he will get a big return, he is a legit NHL backup that has really good numbers as a 1A in MTL playing behind a rookie defense core and a team that doesn't play defense.

I personally wouldn't trade him if I'm MTL, at 27 there could be a lot of upside and we don't have a better goalie in the wings. Conversely, I wouldn't trade for him unless dirt cheap if I'm Edmonton, as his upside is still TBD and they should be going after a legit, proven, top 10 #1G.

But he is def a good player, far better than any Oilers G, and you definitively don't know a thing about him.
I agree that he is better than any Oilers G, but that is probably the lowest bar to clear ever.

Montembeault is a replacement level player. Fair enough that he can provide suitable enough goaltending, but this isn't someone that is going to steal you games.

habsfan44

Jul 26, 2006
insane was whoever suggested Bouchard for Montembeault in the first place. If it helps, Bouchard isn't even francophone, dude's from Oakville.
Well that's the person you should be replying to . Bringing language into the conversation isn't necessary as I never asked about or brought up the subject so no , it doesn't help .

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
that's a dead sentence

I don't think Sam Montembault some how is a savior. Has the guy ever led a team to the NHL playoffs? Played in any do or die games?

This is not a situation for a young, unproven goalie to try and "find themselves".

You need a proven guy, even the Binnington rumors made a lot more sense.

Anything below a Mike Smith tier goalie who is a "maybe" isn't going to work there.

Has to be an experienced goalie. John Gibson? Fine. Carter Hart? OK, can work with that. Even a Jacob Markstrom? OK. A Sam Montembault ... I don't think so.

You need to be an experienced goalie who isn't going to spiral the moment you hit a rough patch. A Mike Smith could do that, I don't think Montembault would fare any better than Skinner in the long haul.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Montembault would be a very good add for a good team that has a quality starter and needs a better backup in case of injury and for 30+ games. Edmonton is not that team. I’m thinking a team like the kings would be perfect.

Reactions: pth2

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Disagree. We’re still in a rebuild, we have plenty of cap space, there’s no harm in taking Campbell if it gets us a better return
Oilers will not be willing to give up the picks / prospects that are required to mega-dump Campbell. They will have no choice but to buy him out.

If the OIlers are willing to give up the equivalence of 3 x 1st round picks, i would happily take Campbell.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He was the starter for Canadas World Championship team last Spring and did well.

I'm talking the NHL. Jack Campbell as is isn't experienced enough and he's been in two playoff rounds with the Leafs, you need someone beyond even that.

The Oilers are the last place for a young, unproven goalie. This guy hasn't even played 100 NHL games in his career, it's not even fair to ask him to go in there and do what? Go Vezina?

You need a veteran goalie someone who has 3-4 years minimum as a starter in this league.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I'm talking the NHL. Jack Campbell as is isn't experienced enough and he's been in two playoff rounds with the Leafs, you need someone beyond even that.

The Oilers are the last place for a young, unproven goalie.

I don’t think he’s the right guy for the Oilers. Just saying he has excelled in high pressure games

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
You probably should though. Bouchard is a huge problem and a source of the many goals against due to his shoddy decision making and inability to play defense. His pinch last night was a prime example of how Bouchard kills you. His offense doesn't make up for his defensive gaffes.
Bouchard is being played too high in the lineup. His skillset is rare and he just turned 24 in October. You insulate and coach a player like that, you don't dump him off a cliff for a 1B goalie.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I mean, why?

Just switching chairs on the Titanic.

Wouldn't give more than a 6th if I was Edmonton. Switching out bad, unreliable goaltending for new bad, unreliable goaltending.
You wouldn't get him for a 6th. We would just keep him and no i don't expect a 1st and Bouchard. Totally ridiculous.

Last edited:

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Who's got a link to this speculation? Is this speculation by someone who knows people or is it Heywood JaBlowme on Radio Dirtbag?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Bouchard is being played too high in the lineup. His skillset is rare and he just turned 24 in October. You insulate and coach a player like that, you don't dump him off a cliff for a 1B goalie.
Not advocating dumping him for a 1B goalie. I am advocating dumping him period. He's more harm than good. He is one of the reasons why your goalies are hung out to dry. He should be benched.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I don’t think he’s the right guy for the Oilers. Just saying he has excelled in high pressure games
I don't think its the Habs needing to sell the Oilers on Monty. Its the Oilers needing to beg for the opportunity to get fleeced in a trade for Monty.

Oiler fans must understand this right?

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
He's actually quite improved from what he was when we grabbed him. If the Oilers are expecting him to be their starter though then they're in for another disappointment in that department.
Improved from waiver level, sure.
a nice number 2 depending on his contract: 1 mil yes, 4 mil big no.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Monty has improved, but I think the Oil need to pay up with futures if possible and get a proven and reliable starter, which Monty isn't at this point.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
He will get a mid to late round pick straight up. If the Habs take a bad contract back, the price will increase depending on how bad the contract coming back is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad