Speculation: Sam Montembault to EDM

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Maybe look at goals saved above expected rather than save percentage. It gives a much more accurate picture of the quality of the quality (or lack thereoff) of a goalie.

And just hope he wasn't one of the players facing sanctions from the 2018 world juniors incident. Also, isn't Philly doing quite well ATM? Not sure they're looking to switch things up that much

Bingo.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Thats still insane. At that point you call Philly and ask for the price of Hart at 50%. If you're going to put big chips on the table the prize better be worth it
I'm just not getting how fellow Habs fans expect a massive win...

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
A career sub .900 sv% goalie not only at the NHL level but basically every level he’s ever played at.

Sounds about right for Holland.

Should be worth future considerations. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Holland give up something of value.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I posted those four players as reasons why the Habs WOULDN'T want Bouchard . I don't think I'm being insane at all .
insane was whoever suggested Bouchard for Montembeault in the first place. If it helps, Bouchard isn't even francophone, dude's from Oakville.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
27 year old goalie
111 NHL games worth of experience
Career 3.44 GAA .897 sv%
Doing passable this year but nothing about that says, "i should bet my season on this goalie working out". Ive watched a few Oiler games and while goaltending would help, their defensive breakdowns have been game destroying.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
Monty has played well above his capacity on this team.

That being said he would immediately be Edmonton’s best goalie and starter immediately. I’d take a 2nd a small add. If we take back Campbell as well, then Holloway/Bourgault or a 1st

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
Trades to save seasons & management jobs are pricey!

If Oilers turn it around, that's a late pick & a prospect that's in danger of stalling.

Edit: look at the blues a few seasons ago. Anything is possible.
A 1st and a solid prospect is more than just “pricey” for an average goalie which is the least expensive position by far to acquire.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Montembeault isn't a starter and probably never will be, but he's a perfectly serviceable 1B and is cheap as hell.

That said, Habs fans expecting first rounders or huge packages are going to be disappointed. He'll get a 2nd, and it'll be an overpayment.
If Habs would move Montembeault for a 2nd, it been done deal two weeks ago.

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
Montembeault has decent stats on some terrible Habs teams and his dirt cheap contract is appealing to a capped out Oilers team, as we can afford him pretty easily without having to do too much else (Holland doesn't like actually having to *do things*, it interrupts his daily schedule of counting and talking about Detroit.)

Montreal has been among the league leaders in goals against the last several years. As a fellow team that can't defend for shit, Montembeault to Edmonton makes a lot of sense... but I think they're showcasing Primeau and are going to try to hoodwink us into paying for him instead because they don't want to waive him.
I guess 2 years constitutes several now when they led the league by far in man games lost to injury. They find themselves at the moment with amongst the lowest experience in the league on the blueline and have what? The third youngest roster. Evaluation without context or nuance will at best leave one with a midling result. This year is about health and development.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Monty has played well above his capacity on this team.

That being said he would immediately be Edmonton’s best goalie and starter immediately. I’d take a 2nd a small add. If we take back Campbell as well, then Holloway/Bourgault or a 1st
Taking Campbell is a non starter. He's an ECHL level goalie with a high cap hit for 4 years.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Monty is paid 1M and is a good 1b

Not the solution for Edmonton, but could be part of

IMO the era of relying on one great goaltender is pretty much over and the future is having two, or even three good goalies

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Oilers don't need a young/fragile/unproven goalie, they need someone who has their own confidence and proven track record, like Mike Smith wasn't a world beater, but he knew how to be a starter in this league.

The Oilers D is too porous for a younger goalie who's still trying to "figure out how to be a starter". That's not going to end well, if you want to do that you might as well just stick with Skinner.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
the point is moot, guys, Edmonton isn't moving Bouchard for Montembeault, don't be insane. :laugh:
You probably should though. Bouchard is a huge problem and a source of the many goals against due to his shoddy decision making and inability to play defense. His pinch last night was a prime example of how Bouchard kills you. His offense doesn't make up for his defensive gaffes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad