Sam Gagner Discussion (cleared waivers December 2015)

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011
I don't see the point of committing any term to Gagner, and I don't think he'll want a 1 year deal. Konecny can likely replace him in the top 9.

RJ8812*

This is the player you let walk at the end of the season. Could be a leino situation

How? It's not like he's going to be asking for a huge payday. He'll most likely get a 1 year deal to prove himself to whoever he signs with

MillerTime2181

Nov 3, 2010
How? It's not like he's going to be asking for a huge payday. He'll most likely get a 1 year deal to prove himself to whoever he signs with

Wasn't this supposed to be his "prove it" year? He may not make a lot of money on his next contract but I don't see him willing to play for close to the league minimum either. As others have said much rather spend the money and resources on really improving the third or 4th line.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
he really isnt that noticeable when he isnt scoring a goal(well nothing positive anyway). I think they can easily find a replacement either internally or outside of the organization for cheaper money.
I dont think Weal has any future here tbh either.

bungle

Casual Observer
Jan 20, 2006
LA
This is the player you let walk at the end of the season. Could be a leino situation

Except Leino put up 53 points in the season before he left and Buffalo gave him a six year $27m contract on the strength of that.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He might not be a bad guy to keep around 1 more year as insurance in case Konecny, who I expect to make the team, has trouble producing.

He would then be another commodity we could look to move for an asset at the deadline next year.

We could probably re-sign him and sign a versatile 4C like a Brodziak, along with resigning our UFA's, without much trouble. Especially if we buy-out Umberger.

I'm good either way when it comes to Gagner. Especially if he continues his chemistry with Couturier.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Gagner has had to do a lot of moving around lately and he might stay even at a discount. He struggled to get the trust of Hakstol, but that seems to have changed now.

I offer 1 year at 1 million. If he wants to uproot his family again, fine, let him walk. But he might like to stay...plus, even if he was moved to the AHL, his family doesn't have to move.

When Jake is back to himself, Gagner might not have a top 9 role anyways next year.

Voracek Giroux Simmonds
Raffl Couts Schenn
Laughton Cousins XXXX

XXXX-could be Konecny, plus we have Read, but having a backup plan with Gagner might be the smart thing to do. Especially because injuries will always happen.

Really, if Gagner isn't re-signed, we likely will need to go out and add a top 9 guy anyways on the cheap since we won't likely have anyone ready to move up from the AHL right away.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
I like Gagner in the offensive zone at times. His lack of size and strength limit him in all zones. He's not really a great skater. He's one of those players you need players around him to make up for his deficiencies which Raffl and Couts do. He would be nice on a team that has great forward depth. We simply don't. Even then a cheap 1 yea contract would be nice. Give him one more year. He's still a frustrating polarizing player.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
My vote would be a no when it comes to keeping gagner, we could use that cap space else where, like Schenn's extension and a good #4C and a good bottom 6 guy, like Matt Martin ot someone like that

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
You absolutely let him walk. He'll get his $, just not here.

It's a shame, too. He's still fairly young.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
How much are people expecting him to get? I don't think he gets over 1.25 million.

He could be a tryout contract guy for someone.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
I like his offense but our top 6 is really coming together nicely and am riding the hope of the kid line with Laughton - cousins - konecky

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
I say let him walk. I'm hoping Konecny makes the team which could push one of raffl or read to the 4th line. Then sign a good 4th line center

Schenn/Voracek-Giroux-Simmonds
Voracek/Schenn-Couturier-Konecny
Laughton-Cousins-Read
Raffl-XXX-PEB

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Should the Flyers claim him?

ryan-reynolds-but-why.gif

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ad