Player Discussion Sam Colangelo

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Weird idea, but hear me out:

Maybe PV knows he will also sign some other player(s) in the off-season (*cough* Hvidston *cough*) and would get to the 50 contracts limit. He therefore lets Colangelo sign a PTO with the Gulls to get him accustomed to the franchise and gets some time to shed other contracts - as we know, Colangelo has until some time in August before he enters the market. We get Henrique (due to retention), Silfverberg and some other contracts off the books and will most likely sign our upcoming 1st round pick to an ELC immediately. So maybe, just maybe, PV is trying to make everything work out contract-limit wise before we finally get Colangelo to sign with us.
We are only at 46 contracts and guys like Hvidston wouldn’t even count toward that limit this year if they signed. I would be very surprised if we sign 4 more 2023-2024 contracts, especially if we are excluding Colangelo.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Weird idea, but hear me out:

Maybe PV knows he will also sign some other player(s) in the off-season (*cough* Hvidston *cough*) and would get to the 50 contracts limit. He therefore lets Colangelo sign a PTO with the Gulls to get him accustomed to the franchise and gets some time to shed other contracts - as we know, Colangelo has until some time in August before he enters the market. We get Henrique (due to retention), Silfverberg and some other contracts off the books and will most likely sign our upcoming 1st round pick to an ELC immediately. So maybe, just maybe, PV is trying to make everything work out contract-limit wise before we finally get Colangelo to sign with us.

ELC's can slide to the next season if the prospect is under 20 years old and does not play 10 NHL games in a season, iirc, except for college guys at the end of the season.

Verbeek just signed the CHL prospects to future contract ELC in Myatovic, Sidorov, and Pitre. Their contracts do not start until next season. 19-year old Hvidston would also sign a future contract ELC that will start next season. If the 2024 first round pick is signed, then it will be a 2024-25 season ELC.

Anaheim's roster spot is still listed at 46/50 and we have close to $9 mil available on CapFriendly.

There really isn't a cap nor roster spot reason to preclude Verbeek from signing Colangelo to a "current contract".

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Colangelo's teammate Dylan Wendt just signed a 2-year future contract ELC with NJ Devils that starts next season.

source.gif

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
He's very young and has made leaps both years post-draft.
I see some hope that he turns into an okay depth player but I’m not sure what differentiates him from Pitre and other lesser prospects we have

He kind of reminds me of Tschigerl honestly but hopefully not

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Brian Hayward said he wouldn’t be surprised to see Colangelo up with the big club this year and showed his highlights from Gulls game.

Either they know something we don’t, or that’s some real oversight by the broadcast crew. I lean towards the latter.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Brian Hayward said he wouldn’t be surprised to see Colangelo up with the big club this year and showed his highlights from Gulls game.

Either they know something we don’t, or that’s some real oversight by the broadcast crew. I lean towards the latter.

Yup I heard that too. Something is not correct between the front office info with our telecast crew.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Our telecast crew hardly knows who’s carrying the puck half the time. I see no reason they should be in the know.

Hell, Verbeek tweeted Nesterenko signed a future ELC and was a PTO with San Diego last year. Only to discover later that he actually signed Nesterenko to a current ELC and was playing with Anaheim.

Anyhow, our media team should be in the know b/c it's public knowledge due to the fact the transaction has to be officially reported. There are things that need official recordings such as NHL contracts, signing bonuses, or a possibly ELC slide. I'll reiterate, there must have been some mix up with the info between the front office and our media team. I'm thinking Hazy got it wrong.

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA
Yall are so impatient I wonder how you function in society. I wouldnt be surprised if he plays a few games, just like Hayward said. I find it hard to believe he would play for our AHL team without a contract coming.

gunnergunther

Jul 3, 2010
Yall are so impatient I wonder how you function in society. I wouldnt be surprised if he plays a few games, just like Hayward said. I find it hard to believe he would play for our AHL team without a contract coming.
How cheap must the ducks be if they’re waiting to sign a guy just so they won’t have to pay him a few games of nhl salary.

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA
This situation is just so odd.

Only thing I can think is he wants to burn a year and the team doesn’t. It’s obvious he should be signed, and if he had no interest in signing here he would probably just be waiting until he’s a free agent and sign with another team.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
If they sign him at the conclusion of the season, then no harm, no foul other than Pat being bad at communication (which we already knew)

If they don’t… there’s gonna be some serious egg on the face of the front office

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I don’t understand why people assume the team didn’t offer an ELC when they’ve already signed Sidorov, Suchanek, and Pitre to future ELCs and all are inferior prospects at this stage. I think it’s 100x more likely that Colangelo simply didn’t want to sign one yet

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I don’t understand why people assume the team didn’t offer an ELC when they’ve already signed Sidorov, Suchanek, and Pitre to future ELCs and all are inferior prospects at this stage. I think it’s 100x more likely that Colangelo simply didn’t want to sign one yet
I think the question is more why he’s on a PTO. If he wants a trade, just say who. If he won’t say who, why are we helping him out auditioning for other franchises? If he has identified a trade, why are we risking him getting injured?

It’s just a weird situation unless he’s signing for next year and this is over earning a higher bonus/salary, which would seem stupidly cheap by Verbeek.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

There's a difference between current contract (burn a year now) and future contract (starts next season). All the inferior prospects signed future contracts.

Was a current contract offered to Colangelo? We don't know. There's a high chance he might have signed already if it was offered.

Was a future contract offered to Colangelo? Probably and it's probable that Colangelo doesn't want to sign a future contract.

Many of us are wondering why the former didn't happen as opposed to the latter, bringing shades of the Cutter-Flyers situation. Verbeek was adamant on signing Colangelo at the Migration event. A San Diego PTO wasn't the contract we all set up for with Colangelo, but it seemed like it was planned that Colangelo goes directly to San Diego than Anaheim after his season ended. It's quite possible that Colangelo doesn't want to sign with the Ducks at all.

The video should start at 32:37. If not, the video is chaptered and you can find the Sam Colangelo section.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Weren't all the other deals PV signed already supposed to start next year? Seems like maybe doing it this way SC can try to play himself into burning a year off his deal. It's odd no matter how you look at it.

Son of Gib

Nov 14, 2017
Los Angeles
Last edited:
Reactions: Kalv and lwvs84

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad