Player Discussion Sam Colangelo

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
He can't sign any contract (PTO, ATO, ELC) with any team other then the Ducks until August 15th.

We own Jack Perbix's rights until Aug 15th, like Colangelo. Perbix signed with the ECHL Iowa Heartlanders after his collegiate season ended this year.

I think the only prevention is no other team can offer a prospect an ELC that doesn't belong to them. It's probably more convenient to sign a PTO with your draft team.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Honestly not bothered whether he signs an ELC or not, if he signs then great, if not oh well. At best he's a 3rd line physical power forward but they've got tons of other prospects who will be competing for future 3rd line roles(Nesterenko, Pastujov, Sidorov, Gaucher, Miyatovic, Pitre, Hvidston, Mysap, King etc) because its pretty much set that Carlsson, McTavish, Cutter, Terry, Zegras are in the top6 and the last spot in top6 could be the 2024 1st round pick if it's Lindstrom, Demigod, Helenius or Celebrini but most likely they draft a Dman.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Honestly not bothered whether he signs an ELC or not, if he signs then great, if not oh well. At best he's a 3rd line physical power forward but they've got tons of other prospects who will be competing for future 3rd line roles(Nesterenko, Pastujov, Sidorov, Gaucher, Miyatovic, Pitre, Hvidston, Mysap, King etc) because its pretty much set that Carlsson, McTavish, Cutter, Terry, Zegras are in the top6 and the last spot in top6 could be the 2024 1st round pick if it's Lindstrom, Demigod, Helenius or Celebrini but most likely they draft a Dman.

If our early first round pick isn't used on a forward, then we have a potential top-6 RW spot available.
Verbeek said that Gaucher is a couple of years away from the NHL at the Migration event. (around 36:02 on the video at Youtube). Except for King, all of the other forwards aren't physically wide like Colangelo, who is 6'2 and 209 lbs.

Colangelo scored 24 goals, 7th overall in the NCAA. Goal scorers are difficult to find and if he's a 3rd line, scoring PF, then that helps improve our scoring in the bottom-6.

Oh... Colangelo notched his first goal in the AHL just now. He's further advanced in his development than most of our forward prospects. If our forward prospects were good, then Verbeek wouldn't have traded for Cutter. We can use all the help we can get, especially with a right-hand shooting forward.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Maybe its to give him a chance to prove himself to then play a game for the Ducks to burn a year?

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Maybe its to give him a chance to prove himself to then play a game for the Ducks to burn a year?

Seems like playing with fire to me. Verbeek signed Nesterenko to burn off a year last season, and Nesterenko didn't perform well in his last year in college like Colangelo did.

Last year in college:
Nesterenko: 36 games, 13g + 21a = 34 pts, and +6 rating
Colangelo: 38 games, 24g + 19a = 43 pts, and +19 rating

Don't pull a damned Flyers move, Verbeek. Make Colangelo officially part of the org yesterday.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Seems like playing with fire to me. Verbeek signed Nesterenko to burn off a year last season, and Nesterenko didn't perform well in his last year in college like Colangelo did.

Last year in college:
Nesterenko: 36 games, 13g + 21a = 34 pts, and +6 rating
Colangelo: 38 games, 24g + 19a = 43 pts, and +19 rating

Don't pull a damned Flyers move, Verbeek. Make Colangelo officially part of the org yesterday.
I think its different because we traded for Nesterenkos rights which could have been a stipulation before the trade. Either way it would be nice to get some clarity from Verbeek

Reactions: Kalv

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Regarding Colangelo's try out:

I dont think it would be good for Verbeek to come out publicly about it now. Either come out openly about it from the start or don't talk about it. Don't rock the boat when things are already in motion.

It could just as well be about Colangelo wanting a feel of the Gulls/Ducks as much as the opposite. The speculation will be shortlived anyway.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Well he is off to a good start.

Does make me curious. Whether this was a Verbeek decision or from Sam’s camp. Wouldn’t he just come out and say he was not signing like Thrun did?

Rather give him a shot in the bottom 6 than to ice the current bottom 6, which i expect a lot of them will be gone next season.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
I would be shocked if this is some sort of tryout. He is much better than many guys we sign to ELC’s. I think it’s either a structure agreed to by ducks and colangelo’s camp to defer signing of ELC or it is him that has not decided (or decided to go somewhere else)

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Well, if this is a game of poker between PV and Colangelo then the latter just bet and raised.

The lack of transparency from both sides regarding the "plan" for Colangelo is a little troubling and suggests that things are not quite as straight forward as everyone hoped they would be in signing him.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Well, if this is a game of poker between PV and Colangelo then the latter just bet and raised.

The lack of transparency from both sides regarding the "plan" for Colangelo is a little troubling and suggests that things are not quite as straight forward as everyone hoped they would be in signing him.
Just because there is a lack of transparency to the public doesn’t mean there is any to each of the parties who actually matter.

My personal theory is similar to what @Rasp mentioned. I think both sides have agreed that an ELC will be signed, but Verbeek wants it to start next season while Colangelo wants to burn this season. So maybe the PTO was a middle ground that gives Colangelo a chance to earn that burned year while there is still a couple weeks left in the season.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Just because there is a lack of transparency to the public doesn’t mean there is any to each of the parties who actually matter.

My personal theory is similar to what @Rasp mentioned. I think both sides have agreed that an ELC will be signed, but Verbeek wants it to start next season while Colangelo wants to burn this season. So maybe the PTO was a middle ground that gives Colangelo a chance to earn that burned year while there is still a couple weeks left in the season.
Well I certainly agree with that but I just don't see the point of it. This is hockey not national security.

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Yea, we don't need any more speculation about the matter but in general, while transparency is great and often the best policy: sometimes you are in a situation where the other party would happily take a worse position and you would take advantage of that. But when you are totally transparent you don't get to take any advantages because the public opinion would be that of; you take advantage of the other party and be frowned upon.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Again, that's playing with fire as it's similar to the Philly situation. What if Colangelo plays well and thinks being put through this test is stupid that he'd rater eat the year and go somewhere else where he won't be toyed around with.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I don't think the transparency thing is a big deal in this case. This board might be the only collection of ducks fans that's even aware this is odd, and we have one (?) writer who might catch it. A canadian market would be different, but not here.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I think its different because we traded for Nesterenkos rights which could have been a stipulation before the trade. Either way it would be nice to get some clarity from Verbeek

Nestrenko wasn't going to sign with his draft team b/c there was a log jam in front of him. That is what made it easy for us to acquire Nesterenko.

We didn't get clarity of Nesterenko's situation. Verbeek initially stated that we signed Nesterenko to a future contract ELC, but a later tweet changed that to a present contract ELC that burns a year off the contract. I think Nesterenko made Verbeek alter the deal b/c GM's don't make that huge of an official news blunder.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
I wonder if this has something to do with Colangelo and his agent not wanting to start his arb/UFA clock right away. It makes sense for more highly touted prospects who figure to put up good numbers right away and thus getting to a better payday more quickly. But for someone like Colangelo, maybe they see it more to their benefit to have an extra season to establish his game.

Just throwing out a theory.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
I would be shocked if this is some sort of tryout. He is much better than many guys we sign to ELC’s. I think it’s either a structure agreed to by ducks and colangelo’s camp to defer signing of ELC or it is him that has not decided (or decided to go somewhere else)

I thought this initially as well, but the more I think about it, the more I wonder why we would do him the favor of playing and boosting his stock if he's just going to sign somewhere else.

I guess you could say it's us boosting his trade stock, but also not sure we would risk him lowering it by playing poorly in the AHL or getting injured.

I'm leaning more towards some agreement to sign him after. Pat has proven himself to be weird about contracts.

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
Weird idea, but hear me out:

Maybe PV knows he will also sign some other player(s) in the off-season (*cough* Hvidston *cough*) and would get to the 50 contracts limit. He therefore lets Colangelo sign a PTO with the Gulls to get him accustomed to the franchise and gets some time to shed other contracts - as we know, Colangelo has until some time in August before he enters the market. We get Henrique (due to retention), Silfverberg and some other contracts off the books and will most likely sign our upcoming 1st round pick to an ELC immediately. So maybe, just maybe, PV is trying to make everything work out contract-limit wise before we finally get Colangelo to sign with us.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
Weird idea, but hear me out:

Maybe PV knows he will also sign some other player(s) in the off-season (*cough* Hvidston *cough*) and would get to the 50 contracts limit. He therefore lets Colangelo sign a PTO with the Gulls to get him accustomed to the franchise and gets some time to shed other contracts - as we know, Colangelo has until some time in August before he enters the market. We get Henrique (due to retention), Silfverberg and some other contracts off the books and will most likely sign our upcoming 1st round pick to an ELC immediately. So maybe, just maybe, PV is trying to make everything work out contract-limit wise before we finally get Colangelo to sign with us.
Not weird at all. To me, this makes the most sense lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad