Player Discussion Sam Carrick

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Too early to tell. Guy is a journeyman that has played all of ECHL, AHL, NHL, is unlikely to be complacent about opportunity. Will bring hard work, fight to be his best (literally) and like a vet has some tricks up sleeve. He schooled Girard on the goal. Just owned him. It was a classic bump back the D to create room, perfect timing giving him space to slot home the goal. Savvy vet move which is unlikely to get called (it is interference) at this point in season. Tells me he's a player who's thinking in real time and smarter than your average bear. Carrick had inside position on Girard in first place. Good position he found in front of net.

Goal doesn't happen if Carrick doesn't do several right things there. Including the awareness to identify and exploit Girard specifically on the play there. Seek and destroy. haha

Returns are good so far. Carrick is the cheap identity player we lost not having Bjugstad or Kostin being hard to play against. He'll get in the lineup every day here and we sure need the quantity.

Last edited:

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Too early to tell. Guy is a journeyman that has played all of ECHL, AHL, NHL, is unlikely to be complacent about opportunity. Will bring hard work, fight to be his best (literally) and like a vet has some tricks up sleeve. He schooled Girard on the goal. Just owned him. It was a classic bump back the D to create room, perfect timing giving him space to slot home the goal. Savvy vet move which is unlikely to get called (it is interference) at this point in season. Tells me he's a player who's thinking in real time and smarter than your average bear. Carrick had inside position on Girard in first place. Good position he found in front of net.

Goal doesn't happen if Carrick doesn't do several right things there.

Returns are good so far. Carrick is the cheap identity player we lost not having Bjugstad or Kostin being hard to play against. He'll get in the lineup every day here and we sure need the quantity.
I would offer him the league minimum now

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I would offer him the league minimum now
This is fair. He's unlikely to be a bad bet. That he offers swiss army knife roles and Center probably means he's got the usable dividends. Hard for it to go wrong. Question isn't whether he could be in the lineup but how well can he do in the lineup on a good team. We might unpack stuff in this player that a bad team didn't. The stuff he says is real. Would be thrilled to be here, to be on a playoff club, to be on a team with a shot. Like he said "I have to check I'm not dreaming"

Its fun to see the enthusiasm. he goes from hockey gulag to a glorious place to play hockey on a team that is playing for all the marbles.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Why not? He's the type of guy that our 4th line has lacked all season long.

I'd argue he's a guy they've been missing for a long time. maybe since Letestu... By the time they got Ryan, his days as a consistent centre were limited. Bjugstad was a rental and at the price he re-signed would have been a massive overpay for a 4C.

If they can lock up Carrick for a reasonable deal, it would be worth it IMO. He's been very good

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Why do we need to offer a utility guy a contract 3 games into his Oiler career, right in the middle of a stretch run? What is the rush?
Why not? Iam proposing a one year deal at league min. He checks a lot of boxes. Why wait til he hits FA?

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Why not? Iam proposing a one year deal at league min. He checks a lot of boxes. Why wait til he hits FA?
I'd prefer to see how the rest of the season plays out. Not sure what the rush is to get something done this week. And there will be lots of guys just like him out there at free agency.

Last edited:

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
If you are only offering a one year deal at league minimum why wouldn't Carrick wait and evaluate his options... nothing says we want you back like offering the absolute least you can offer. I'm surprised you don't insist on a two-way contract and that he has to shovel your driveway.

He likely wants some security and that means either term or a higher salary. Potentially both.

Last edited:
Reactions: nabob

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
There's a sizable gap between signing him right now and letting him get to UFA status. No reason to jump the gun here.

I admit I've liked the player so far more than I thought I was going to.

Reactions: Oilers88

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If you offer him a deal now that is less than the amount you can bury but with term, hopefully quite a bit less, and he accepts, there is almost no downside risk. If you wait until he has success to prove he deserves it the price almost surely goes up.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Carrick is a smart, hard working, hard to play against and tough player that pk's, shoots right and wins draws exceptionally well. Signing him to a 2 year deal at reasonable money is a no brainer. I'd even consider 3 years if the cap hit is low enough to bury him in Bako if his play tails off in a year or two.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
They also should sign Henrique and Stecher as soon as possible.
If the $ is right on Henrique I'd consider it. That would mean probably around $3-$3.5 million for 2 years, Stetcher on a cheap ~$1.25 million 2 year deal would be fine too. If Henrique wants $4 million or more he can walk.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Iam afraid Carrick is going to challenge Reaves tonight. It's a fight he doesn't need.

If he was 22 I could maybe see it, but at 32 I think he's smart enough to choose his dance partners wisely.

That's one thing that makes Carrick effective: He's does a good job reading the flow of the game and understands how he makes a mark on it. The team starts of listless vs. Monteal? Great, go challenge Pezzetta for an early tilt.

Athough I love Kostin's bull in a china shop approach (someone that'd definitely challenge Reaves to fight), Carrick and Perry bring a level of... wily gamesmanship that Klim couldn't. Truth be told Kostin would have been a hell of a 3rd wheel to that line, though Janmark does a better job making sure the line keeps some form of structure.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Why do people still talk about Reaves as if he was relevant.

Carrick should have been taking the temperature of this game and started finishing checks aggressively (along with a bunch of other players).

They allowed themselves to be taken out of the game. Carrick doesn't need to fight, but he should be forechecking with bad intentions.

Reactions: GOilers88

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
If the $ is right on Henrique I'd consider it. That would mean probably around $3-$3.5 million for 2 years
Geez that seems awfully high Bryan. I’m trying to give him some time to adjust but so far he does not look worthy of a contract next season. Certainly not at that price point.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00