Youtube: Sam Bennett vs Josh Manson / Garnet Hathaway vs Derek Grant

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Solid fight, Bennett did better than I thought he would against a significantly bigger, decently tough Manson.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The Bennett Manson fight is really interesting. Hockey fights voting has Bennett winning DYG voting has Mason winning. Bennett was active early and appeared to land the nicest shot of the fight......Mason came on late and Bennett quit on the fight (tapped out?) because he was gassed when Manson wanted to keep going.

I am a neutral fan and I would tend to give the decision to Manson since Bennett quit but I understand both sides of the voting.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Am I the only one who thinks Bennett looks like a huge p***y for trying to throw punches when Manson didn't think anything was going to happen and then wanting no part of the fight after Manson got back on his feet?

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Solid fight, Bennett did better than I thought he would against a significantly bigger, decently tough Manson.

Bennett doesn't really fight a lot, but when he does he usually fights guys bigger guys and he whoops all their asses. The Manson fight was closer, I give the edge to Bennett but it was a great fight where both were throwing them.

He handed Johansen his ass last year and fed Trouba his lunch last year as well.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Am I the only one who thinks Bennett looks like a huge ***** for trying to throw punches when Manson didn't think anything was going to happen and then wanting no part of the fight after Manson got back on his feet?

Nothing you wrote happened though.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Bennett doesn't really fight a lot, but when he does he usually fights guys bigger guys and he whoops all their asses. The Manson fight was closer, I give the edge to Bennett but it was a great fight where both were throwing them.

He handed Johansen his ass last year and fed Trouba his lunch last year as well.
Id say it was closer to a tie, manson was looking at the group when the first punch was thrown after that it was fairly even, bennet landed a good punch and manson lost his balance, but bennet also quit... manson woulda went a few more rounds. He definitely a 2nd half fighter.

Manson really shouldn't fight as hes 1 of the more important players on the team but hell basically fight anyone... and put up a good fight vs anyone.

Kybb79

Sep 13, 2016
Bennett won fair and square. Manson looked shocked when he got dropped.

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
Bennett did really well but he's lucky it ended when it did because Manson was heating up and caught him good at the end.
Regardless, I'm pretty impressed with Sam.
Yeah it was a little bit funny at the end to me, one of those "better out of this while I'm ahead" moments. Sam really does throw haymakers with reckless abandon, i'm sure one day it'll catch up with him, but I give him credit for being fearless and punching above his weight in some fights.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Yeah it was a little bit funny at the end to me, one of those "better out of this while I'm ahead" moments. Sam really does throw haymakers with reckless abandon, i'm sure one day it'll catch up with him, but I give him credit for being fearless and punching above his weight in some fights.

Eh, they were both missing badly at the end. Looked like the fight ended at the :22 mark when the last of the punches really connected. Manson seemed as gassed as Reinhart.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Considered the size difference, Bennett did fantastic

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I was impressed with how well Bennett handled himself until I realized Manson slipped on a stick.
Yeah... bennet kinda got the 1st punch when manson was looking into the pile then the stick... I wouldn't mind a round 2... but I don't think bennet would want a round 2

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Considered the size difference, Bennett did fantastic
a lot of the best fighters in the league are barely 190lbs.

Bennett has to be considered seriously when fighting. He absolutely whopped every single opponent he's fought with while giving up a few inches and 20-25+ pounds. And I'm a canucks fan saying this (absolutely despise Calgary). If he fights a few more, he'll have quite the reputation and guys wont be taking more liberties.

His punches are quite elusive, kind of reminds me of a poor-man's Rick Rypien.

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary

Bennett has to be considered seriously when fighting. He absolutely whopped every single opponent he's fought with while giving up a few inches and 20-25+ pounds. And I'm a canucks fan saying this (absolutely despise Calgary). If he fights a few more, he'll have quite the reputation and guys wont be taking more liberties.

Watch how he punches, he leans forward when he throws and uses his body as leverage to get power. I think that's why he can compete with the bigger guys, his punches are also quite fast for haymakers. I think when he leans forward his jersey holding hand is pushing guys back onto their back foot, making harder for them to get power on punches.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Yeah... bennet kinda got the 1st punch when manson was looking into the pile then the stick... I wouldn't mind a round 2... but I don't think bennet would want a round 2

Oh don't worry about that....

NO WAY Manson isn't going to be wanting a piece of him next game,

Bennet really showed himself to be an opportunistic little rat, and bailing on the fight before it was even broken up, thus appealing to Manson's sense of "The code" (I.E don't fight a guy who isn't fighting back) was his way of saving his a$$

Once Manson saw the tape on this fight I guarantee he circled the next game on his calendar, I can say this for a fact because if he didn't I have a feeling his dad would fly down to Anaheim and beat his a$$.

BTW you haven't lived till you've seen the St. Patrick's Day Massacre when his dad takes on Scott Stevens at center ice,

It's so dramatic, the setup, the commentator's calls, the drama couldn't have been better if it were choreographed by Vince Mc Mahon, just the part when they move out to center ice for the main event and the crowd goes ballistic, it's probably the greatest hockey fight moment of all time, the atmosphere is electric:

Anyway, THESE are the shoes Josh has to fill, so I have no doubt Bennett's going to get his.

God, I miss the NHL

Reactions: Getz2perry

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017

Oh come on.....Rypien?

He doesn't have that kind of skill, Rypien was a revelation.

The only advantage I see Bennett having is that he's willing to swing before the other guy is set, and he's throwing them to do damage, not to just tag the other guy.

He surprised Manson, it won't happen again.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Oh don't worry about that....

NO WAY Manson isn't going to be wanting a piece of him next game,

Bennet really showed himself to be an opportunistic little rat, and bailing on the fight before it was even broken up, thus appealing to Manson's sense of "The code" (I.E don't fight a guy who isn't fighting back) was his way of saving his a$$

Once Manson saw the tape on this fight I guarantee he circled the next game on his calendar, I can say this for a fact because if he didn't I have a feeling his dad would fly down to Anaheim and beat his a$$.

BTW you haven't lived till you've seen the St. Patrick's Day Massacre when his dad takes on Scott Stevens at center ice,

It's so dramatic, the setup, the commentator's calls, the drama couldn't have been better if it were choreographed by Vince Mc Mahon, just the part when they move out to center ice for the main event and the crowd goes ballistic, it's probably the greatest hockey fight moment of all time, the atmosphere is electric:

Anyway, THESE are the shoes Josh has to fill, so I have no doubt Bennett's going to get his.

God, I miss the NHL

Idk that manson will look for the fight... hes pretty significant player on our defense and hurts to have him out for 5 mins, lot more than bennet

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
Oh come on.....Rypien?

He doesn't have that kind of skill, Rypien was a revelation.

The only advantage I see Bennett having is that he's willing to swing before the other guy is set, and he's throwing them to do damage, not to just tag the other guy.

He surprised Manson, it won't happen again.
Manson dropped his gloves and grabbed Bennett by the jersey and pulled him away from the scrum, needless to say it's go time when that happens, Manson was set then looked off in the distance, which is a huge mistake if you just dropped your gloves and grabbed an opponent who is willing to go. I assume he probably didn't know Bennett could throw, but that's on him. Bennett's first punch had no effect on Manson, they went toe to toe after that, Bennett ate some shots then filled him in. Bennett smartly ended the fight early as he looked gassed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad