Speculation: Sam Bennett Trade Talk

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
But we could have new scapegoats

The Hanifin hate on this board is mind blowing.
The best part is it's directly related to Oliver Kylington, like Hanifin being in the lineup negates Olli being in the lineup somehow.

It's like being mad your donkey can't race, and demanding the Arabian gets sold for glue so you can get it in.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
The Hanifin hate on this board is mind blowing.
The best part is it's directly related to Oliver Kylington, like Hanifin being in the lineup negates Olli being in the lineup somehow.

It's like being mad your donkey can't race, and demanding the Arabian gets sold for glue so you can get it in.

I'd be lying if I didn't say I was disappointed in Hanifin he has all the tools to be a top 2 defenseman but can't seem to put it together. He really struggles in the offensive zone to create many chances.

I would be willing to trade him like anyone on the team but it would have to be for a upgrade. The downgrade from Hamilton to Hanifin is noticeable but its asking alot of Hanifin to be Hamilton.

To me Hanifin is like Monahan in many ways they aren't exactly what we had hoped they would be but we have become so comfortable with what they are we no longer appreciate them.

Honestly I doubt anyone would complain about Hanifin if Fox had been willing to sign here, we got screwed (within fox's rights) and extra pressure from fans has been put on Ras, Hanifin, Valimaki to fill a hole they probably shouldn't be expected to.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'd be lying if I didn't say I was disappointed in Hanifin he has all the tools to be a top 2 defenseman but can't seem to put it together. He really struggles in the offensive zone to create many chances.

I would be willing to trade him like anyone on the team but it would have to be for a upgrade.

To me Hanifin is like Monahan in many ways they aren't exactly what we had hoped they would be but we have become so comfortable with what they are we no longer appreciate them.

Honestly I doubt anyone would complain about Hanifin if Fox had been willing to sign here, we got screwed (within fox's rights) and extra pressure from fans has been put on Ras, Hanifin, Valimaki to fill a hole they probably shouldn't be expected to.

I'd be completely open to moving Hanifin in a trade we upgrade a legit need. Like being part of a trade that brings Eichel to Calgary or something.

Honestly, outside of the second year with Hamonic, he's been a solid Dman for us.

You traded a Norris caliber defenseman for him (along with Lindholm), and you expect a 5th overall to be a top pairing guy. There's no question about that. But the development in his game tells me he could get there. He's still just only turned 24. There's a lot of miles ahead on that road. You need him to produce 40 points a season to get there, and he's way off. He might not even hit 10 points this year he keeps going at this pace.

I think he's been the least of our problems on D though. Our "1D" has been garbage all season. Our bottom pair, which I thought would have been a strong spot for us, has been bad... Andersson doesn't look like that same guy as last season... Honestly the only guys I've been solid with from game 1 were Tanev and Hanifin.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
So we trade a top 3D man for a 15 point upgrade at forward and a tweener.

I would probably pull the trigger on Bennett for DeBrusk, but only because I don't know to the extend he wants out. If he does not, I am not sure I make that trade. DeBrusk isn't the forward that is going to make much a difference for us.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I would probably pull the trigger on Bennett for DeBrusk, but only because I don't know to the extend he wants out. If he does not, I am not sure I make that trade. DeBrusk isn't the forward that is going to make much a difference for us.

If Boston wanted to do DeBrusk - Bennett across, we do that all day.

Bennett for how much he’s beloved on this board has been a net negative player for us.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Ummm I'm not sure if you're serious or not but DeBrusk for Bennett would be a done deal, without hesitation. I think he's fairly comparable to Mangi and thats definitely something I'd be more than willing to welcome to this team

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If Boston wanted to do DeBrusk - Bennett across, we do that all day.

Bennett for how much he’s beloved on this board has been a net negative player for us.

I know there’s huge love affair with DeBrusk on HF, but he’s not that special of a player. All things being equal, yeah we do that deal. But I think Bennett is a way more valuable player when games matter.

BudRobinson53

Sep 5, 2020
Loubo said he thought Bennett sitting last game was the proof a deal is close.

I wonder if they give him a clean slate now that Daryl is back and see what he does in the next 10 games? Daryl wants his players to back check, which isn't a Bennett strength, but I believe he can be a lot better on the forecheck, so we will see how he is utilized.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Maybe, but making a deal means at least two weeks (if a trade to the US) before you get the acquired player into the line-up. Times a wasting as they say. You can't procrastinate too long especially if filling the RW gap is a priority for the team.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don’t think that. I think Ward and Bennett did not get along. Tre obviously had Sutter on the back burner, Lou didn’t know that, if anything maybe that’s why Tre hasn’t moved him.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I don’t think that. I think Ward and Bennett did not get along. Tre obviously had Sutter on the back burner, Lou didn’t know that, if anything maybe that’s why Tre hasn’t moved him.
What makes you think they didn't get along? It seems to me that they got along just fine getting big minutes in the playoffs. To me, it seems like Bennett couldn't except the fact that Lindy, Monahan and Backlund are much better options down the middle. Personally, I think Bennett still largely lives in the 4th OA fantasy and is incapable of excepting the reality that he has only produced at a 3rd/4th line tweener level.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
What makes you think they didn't get along? It seems to me that they got along just fine getting big minutes in the playoffs. To me, it seems like Bennett couldn't except the fact that Lindy, Monahan and Backlund are much better options down the middle. Personally, I think Bennett still largely lives in the 4th OA fantasy and is incapable of excepting the reality that he has only produced at a 3rd/4th line tweener level.

I think it’s all about money

This is the pivotal year for him and with COVID, his agent basically told him he is not going to get a raise playing with Nordstrom and Lucic. May not even qualify and become another Leivo or Simon. I think it stressed him out

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

This is the pivotal year for him and with COVID, his agent basically told him he is not going to get a raise playing with Nordstrom and Lucic. May not even qualify and become another Leivo or Simon. I think it stressed him out
I think you're right. Bennett's agent probably wanted to capitalize on his playoff performance, negotiating a new contract early because he knows full well that a new team won't cough up the nostalgia dollars. Tre said not interested, mid-season and the Bennett camp lost it.

Reactions: DFF

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

I agree with this. I just think he wasn’t getting the opportunity he think he deserved. Not getting the minutes and even being scratched, I don’t think Bennett liked playing for Ward.

Reactions: DFF

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I agree with this. I just think he wasn’t getting the opportunity he think he deserved. Not getting the minutes and even being scratched, I don’t think Bennett liked playing for Ward.

Bennett squanders any important minutes he gets though... I honestly would rather keep Derek Ryan than Bennett. Bennalty box. Ryan actually helps the team on the pk.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Bennett squanders any important minutes he gets though... I honestly would rather keep Derek Ryan than Bennett. Bennalty box. Ryan actually helps the team on the pk.
People want Bennett for potential buy time is running out if not already over

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
So just sitting here bored and contemplating the meaning of life when thwack, a thought hit me right between the eyes. I have to share.

Send Monahan and Bennett plus a 3rd (thank you Edmonton) to Anaheim for Geztlaf (some retention) and Rakell. Ducks have some young C's coming up, but sending them two might allow them to develop them further. The retention would be off their books next season.

Flames would get a very usable C man even at age 35 that could step in at 2C and a RW that could play with him. Getz could return to Anaheim next season I suppose and Flames could protect Rakell in the draft.

Should I go back to day dreaming?

Reactions: Bluesguru

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
So just sitting here bored and contemplating the meaning of life when thwack, a thought hit me right between the eyes. I have to share.

Send Monahan and Bennett plus a 3rd (thank you Edmonton) to Anaheim for Geztlaf (some retention) and Rakell. Ducks have some young C's coming up, but sending them two might allow them to develop them further. The retention would be off their books next season.

Flames would get a very usable C man even at age 35 that could step in at 2C and a RW that could play with him. Getz could return to Anaheim next season I suppose and Flames could protect Rakell in the draft.

Might as well just shoot for Silfverberg with that package, which I would be obliged to do.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

Getz is done and I don't think he'll leave California. I'm not even sure if he's an upgrade on Backlund offensively anymore. I don't think there's any plan to mess with the center depth either.

Reactions: TheHudlinator

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Send Bennett to the farm!

Viking Alberta isn't far away... I'm sure Darryl could use the help and Bennett could use the 1 on 1 time with the coach and a good work out.

I think Sam would do great under Sutter.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
I know there’s huge love affair with DeBrusk on HF, but he’s not that special of a player. All things being equal, yeah we do that deal. But I think Bennett is a way more valuable player when games matter.
I think that's pretty harsh on Debrusk. This is a guy that is younger than Mang and Bennett and has scored at a 2nd line rate for two seasons before this one. He's also got speed to burn which is EXACTLY what we're missing. How is Bennett (a borderline bottom-6C on an average team) possibly in the same world as a 24 year old 2nd line LW on a contender? No chance they consider it without a huge add from us. I'm not saying Debrusk comes in here and takes a spot on our 1st line but he'd immediately be a great asset for our middle-6 that struggles with consistency. Debrusk is closer to Mang/Dube value than Bennett

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Bennett 50% retained + cond. 1st
For
Patrick

Possible conditions:

-1st becomes a 2nd if Bennett reaches 20 points

-1st becomes a 2nd if Patrick misses 25% of his remaining games due to migraines.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think that's pretty harsh on Debrusk. This is a guy that is younger than Mang and Bennett and has scored at a 2nd line rate for two seasons before this one. He's also got speed to burn which is EXACTLY what we're missing. How is Bennett (a borderline bottom-6C on an average team) possibly in the same world as a 24 year old 2nd line LW on a contender? No chance they consider it without a huge add from us. I'm not saying Debrusk comes in here and takes a spot on our 1st line but he'd immediately be a great asset for our middle-6 that struggles with consistency. Debrusk is closer to Mang/Dube value than Bennett

If Bennett does indeed want out, like I said I think we do that deal. DeBrusk is a nice player, but he’s not going in here and be a total stud. He’s essentially a 35-45pt player, which is great but I would rather target a higher caliber player.

I agree that he’s around a Dube/Mangi, which is certainly not worth us adding Hanifin onto a package of. I just don’t see why we need DeBrusk, when we have Mangi and Dube, who are also good skaters.

I’d rather target a higher profile player or like Sparky said, Patrick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad