Salvaging recent first round disappointments.

Which 3 do you think have the highest chance of becoming quality NHLers.

• Zadina (DET 2018)

Votes: 58 33.1%
  • Wahlstrom (NYI 2018)

Votes: 102 58.3%
  • Hayton (AZ 2018)

Votes: 87 49.7%
  • Dellandrea (Dallas 2018)

Votes: 27 15.4%
  • Turcotte (LA 2019)

Votes: 114 65.1%
  • Glass (Nashville currently, 2017)

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • Owen Tippet (Philly currently, 2017 draft)

Votes: 37 21.1%

• Total voters

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Not really sure Dellandrea fits here, maybe a year from now if he’s still stuck in the AHL.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think all these people calling Turcotte a disappointment so early are going to look bad.

If he stays healthy, he’s very good. Seems popular around here now to call him a bust because some AHL hacks took cheap shots against him last season.

• Haha
Reactions: NJ DevLolz

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
I mean Zadina IS an NHLer and will continue to be, it's just he is unlikely to be the offensive star he was projected to be.

His defensive game is actually pretty good and he competes. I see him kind of like a Patrick Eaves type of a player.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Dellandrea is progressing as expected. I would've preferred Farabee at the draft for sure but Dellandrea's upside was always a middle 6 player at best and that's looking like what he will be this season. These other guys were expected to be a lot more, and out of all of them he might be the only one to hit his potential

So if a 3rd liner is a quality NHLer, then Dellandrea is gonna be there as a regular this season.

Reactions: Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Theres not a lot of rope given round here is there? I'd give him and most of these guys another couple of years before we start making pronouncements.
This is the same website with a vocal minority that was beating the "Jack Hughes is a bust" drum all his rookie year. Same thing happened (still does) with Lafreniere. I'm sure the same thing will happen with Wright or Slafkovsky.

----
To answer the thread question. I think Turcotte will be really good, just maybe on a different team if LA tries to trade for a star player. I think Wahlstrom is poised for a breakout year especially if he's put next to Barzal. Maybe not this year, maybe next. We'll see. I also still think Zadina can begin to find his game under a coach not named Jeff Blashill.

I also still think Ty Dellandrea can do well in Dallas. Is he gonna be in their middle 6 this year Dallas fans?

Idk much about Tippett or Hayton admittedly.

Reactions: jj cale

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Walhstrom for sure.
Hayton will be a bottom 6 role player at worst.
Turcotte seems like the kind of guy who long term could adapt to play anywhere in the line up.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Turcotte seems like the kind of guy who long term could adapt to play anywhere in the line up.

I think provided health his floor is a high end complementary player, the guy who digs the puck and makes the first play. He's already an absolute mosquito on the forecheck throwing his body around and making a good pass. The hope is of course he becomes more of a prototypical 2C/low-end 1C but at absolute worst he's a high-octane forechecker with excellent vision...which at this point is basically a prototypical modern King, see Trevor Moore, Phil Danault

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
This is the same website with a vocal minority that was beating the "Jack Hughes is a bust" drum all his rookie year. Same thing happened (still does) with Lafreniere. I'm sure the same thing will happen with Wright or Slafkovsky.

----
To answer the thread question. I think Turcotte will be really good, just maybe on a different team if LA tries to trade for a star player. I think Wahlstrom is poised for a breakout year especially if he's put next to Barzal. Maybe not this year, maybe next. We'll see. I also still think Zadina can begin to find his game under a coach not named Jeff Blashill.

I also still think Ty Dellandrea can do well in Dallas. Is he gonna be in their middle 6 this year Dallas fans?

Idk much about Tippett or Hayton admittedly.

Yeah very likely Dellandrea ends up on the 3rd line this season for Dallas right out of camp. Would be pretty surprising if he didn't, but then again this is the same team that just last season tried to force Oettinger back down to the AHL but signing Holtby despite him being the best Goalie on the team. Luckily they didn't (or haven't, at least yet) signed a bunch of garbage bottom 6 veteran guys to fill those spots yet.

Reactions: Clint Eastwood

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Turcotte solely because we haven’t really seen how he will play in the NHL and he’s been so injured

Zadina sure as hell isn’t the answer here

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Turcotte, his issues haven't been play wise for the most part. He's been concussed twice already which is tough to overcome.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think Wahlstrom is the most likely to blossom into something like what was expected. He's shown some flashes of that stickhandling sniper that he was going into the draft. A new coach in NYI could be a spark for him, depending on what sort of opportunity he ends up with under the new bench boss.

I also still hold out some hope for Cody Glass. Probably not ever going to live up to his draft stature, but he was a real "late bloomer/late riser" as a prospect. I wouldn't rule out him being a bit of a "slow burn" prospect as an NHLer as well. It's just hard not to see him at least becoming a serviceable utility/filler sort of player with upside.

Third spot i was pretty conflicted across a few choices. I think Hayton and Dellandrea are both reasonable bets to "pan out" as decent bottom-6 guys. So there's a "floor" argument to be made there. But i think Tippett profiles as the sort of player who can take a while, but suddenly blows up as a goal scorer when it finally "clicks" and they end up in just the right situation. It just often takes those type of goal-scorers a while to feel out how to use their size+speed to score those goals against grown men rather than just waltzing through it in Juniors.

And Turcotte is probably the biggest wildcard of the bunch. Personally, i was never very high on him as a prospect. But he's also had a pretty bungled development process that is hard to ignore. That in and of itself could go either way - as something that's been holding him back and he'll eventually break out, or as something that's completely derailed his development beyond recovery. Not really a fan of his game though, so i didn't vote that way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad