Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Born in a hurricane with a snake in both fists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Fixing the forward group goes a long way to helping the D and getting back to our game.

I mean I’d like to change Dumo for a bit better skater and puck mover but it’s not a priority or anything.

Like I said, upfront we have clear and definite areas that need addressed. The blue line is more about players needing to play close to their customary level.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
My biggest concern with the D in terms of actual roster d-men is that both Cole and Hunwick are better on the left side.

I don't disagree with that premise, but in the scheme of things I think that's low on this teams priorities in terms of shoring up the roster. But I would expect JR to add a defensemen by the deadline. Last year Hainsey and Streit, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Fixing the forward group goes a long way to helping the D and getting back to our game.

Very true. This team won back to back with 5-man defense. Not a star studded D-Core. Good to great teams in the league right now are doing the same. Vegas, NJD, Rangers to name a few.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't disagree with that premise, but in the scheme of things I think that's low on this teams priorities in terms of shoring up the roster. But I would expect JR to add a defensemen by the deadline. Last year Hainsey and Streit, so I wouldn't be surprised.
Me too. I think it should be done, but finding a number 7/8 should be a lot easier than a 3C or even a LW upgrade.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
That's fair. I was 6 when we lifted that Cup.

We have the NHL record for most consecutive playoff wins of 14, 11 at the end of the '92 cup run and the first three games in '93. Sadly and on paper the '93 team was probably more talented, won 17 in a row just before the playoffs. Burned em out. David Volek is an ass clown!

Reactions: Ogrezilla

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
give me 2016. The forwards are close, but 2016 Letang is head and shoulders better than anyone on that 2008 defense.

I think getting prime Malkin and Crosby easily offsets that. Also, Hossa>Kessel.

Staal down the middle.

Gonchar,Whitney,Gill,Orpik, Scuds and a young Letang is a pretty damm good Dcore.

And Fleury was a monster that year. Like the only time he ever showed why he was a #1OA pick

Reactions: KIRK

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Like I said, upfront we have clear and definite areas that need addressed. The blue line is more about players needing to play close to their customary level.

Yeah most of us agree what we need or pretty close to it.

A 3C, LW for Geno/Phil and a new 4th line. The 4th line can be filled internally once the other trades push people down or even just a deadline trade for a 4th line LW (might be Hags if we don’t need the cap, likely we will though) to go with Sheahan and hopefully Simon.

I’m really warming to the idea of getting Kane for the 3rd line.

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Trade-Malkin-Kessel
Kane-Trade-Rust
Trade-Sheahan-Simon

We have the assests to do it. Depends on what’s available though.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah most of us agree what we need or pretty close to it.

A 3C, LW for Geno/Phil and a new 4th line. The 4th line can be filled internally once the other trades push people down or even just a deadline trade for a 4th line LW (might be Hags ice we don’t need the cap, likely we will though) to go with Sheahan and hopefully Simon.

I’m really warming to the idea of getting Kane for the 3rd line.

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Trade-Malkin-Kessel
Kane-Trade-Rust
Trade-Sheahan-Simon

We have the assists to do it. Depends on what’s available though.

My theory would be that if you address 3C you move Sheahan down to fourth line pivot which instantly boosts that line. Add another LW and you completely transform the bottom six. And in doing so no one is playing more minutes than their talent level warrants.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think getting prime Malkin and Crosby easily offsets that. Also, Hossa>Kessel.

Staal down the middle.

Gonchar,Whitney,Gill,Orpik, Scuds and a young Letang is a pretty damm good Dcore.

And Fleury was a monster that year. Like the only time he ever showed why he was a #1OA pick
It's a close call, but I still like the 16 team.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I love all five cups, I am so blessed and thrilled that my favorite team in the world, in any sport, had two eras in which they were the gold standard. Love this team!

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I love all five cups, I am so blessed and thrilled that my favorite team in the world, in any sport, had two eras in which they were the gold standard. Love this team!

My Aussie Rules football team averages a cup every 4 years since I was born. :)

Recently similar to the Penguins too. In 2008 we had a couple of the best young forwards in the league but came up against an older very successful team and won. Then we had a spell of under achieving (injuries hurt us too) then threepeated 2013-2015

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Looking at the 92-93 team. I change my answer. They would smack all the cup teams. My god were they loaded.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
My Aussie Rules football team averages a cup every 4 years since I was born. :)

Recently similar to the Penguins too. In 2008 we had a couple of the best young forwards in the league but came up against an older very successful team and won. Then we had a spell of under achieving (injuries hurt us too) then threepeated 2013-2015

Show off!:mad:

:cool:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Assuming JR has a deal lined up to deal Letang for the cap space and pieces to help us now and longterm with a replacement D.

Who’d move Guentzel+Maatta for EK? You lose Guentzel’s ELC but gain the best D-man in the league locked in for 2 more runs and open up the cap possibility of keeping him around for longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad