Salary cap crunch next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
As HGF said, we jettison Bickell, Rozi, Oduya, Richards, and then probably one of Sharp/Seabrook. It's not ideal, but not the end of the world. Am I missing something to not be as concerned as everyone else?

I don't think Bickell will be impossible to give way for free.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
You're giving OPEC waaaaaaaaaay too much credit.

In what way am I giving OPEC too much credit?

OPEC is the reason oil prices have gone down.
Oil prices going down is the reason that Canada's currency is falling.
Canada's currency falling is the reason the salary cap could remain flat despite prior projections it would go up quite a bit.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
So the team wont be contending anytime soon and will waste away the prime years of Kane/Toews

That is smart

So gutting the forward depth (like 2010/11) is the better solution? If the doom and gloom cap scenario happens, the team will be in for some hurt either way you look at it.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City

Canada's currency falling is the reason the salary cap could remain flat despite prior projections it would go up quite a bit.

OPEC is one of multiple reasons oil prices are down. Supply is up, demand is weakening, USD is strong which puts downward pressure on it, and overall commodity prices are weak. OPEC is reacting to these confluences of factors.

ETA: There is weakening demand from China as well. OPEC isn't arbitrairly lowering prices and energy isn't the end-all be-all when examining economic factors.

Last edited:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
So gutting the forward depth (like 2010/11) is the better solution? If the doom and gloom cap scenario happens, the team will be in for some hurt either way you look at it.

Hawks can replace some of the forward depth in time with kids in system

Hawks are better capable of replacing up front or on D ,, Not in net

Crawford is a good #1 and no goalies in Hawks organization have #1 potential

Last edited:

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

*a* reason, not *the* reason. The loonie has been involved in a race to the bottom with a few other currencies for a while now. Tumbling crude oil prices are hastening the fall.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Hawks cant replace some of the forward depth in time with kids in system

There's no sniper in the system to replace Sharp. The Hawks would be left without a top line LW. Saad isn't showing enough to replace Sharp.

And while you're probably right about Darling - I'd like to see him prove he's not a NHL goalie before writing him off. I agree that Raanta isn't the answer.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
There's no sniper in the system to replace Sharp. The Hawks would be left without a top line LW. Saad isn't showing enough to replace Sharp.

And while you're probably right about Darling - I'd like to see him prove he's not a NHL goalie before writing him off. I agree that Raanta isn't the answer.

I think Darling has some NHL potential but not as #1

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I think Darling has some NHL potential but not as #1

But what do you base that on? I hope more than he is a late developer? He is very big, poised, positionally sound, doesn't give up crazy rebounds...what part of his game limits him to being a backup? I admit his 5 hole is a concern. But I haven't seen enough of him to know if that's a chronic problem or not (like Michael Leighton for example).

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
But what do you base that on? I hope more than he is a late developer? He is very big, poised, positionally sound, doesn't give up crazy rebounds...what part of his game limits him to being a backup? I admit his 5 hole is a concern. But I haven't seen enough of him to know if that's a chronic problem or not (like Michael Leighton for example).

I would like to see Darling prove himself as a #1 at professional level before viewing him as anything but #2

He has yet to be a #1 as professional. His best year of career in AHL last year he was part of a platoon situation

Play down in Rockford 50-55 games and maintain strong top tier play and earn #2 job behind Crawford next year and then we can start looking towards him as potential viable #1 in longrun

And the 5-hole given his frame bothers me

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I would like to see Darling prove himself as a #1 at professional level before viewing him as anything but #2

He has yet to be a #1 as professional. His best year of career in AHL last year he was part of a platoon situation

Play down in Rockford 50-55 games and maintain strong top tier play and earn #2 job behind Crawford next year and then we can start looking towards him as potential viable #1 in longrun

And the 5-hole given his frame bothers me

In an ideal world, yes. But this whole hypothetical was based on cap hell next summer. In which case, many things that are less ideal will happen to this roster.

In the end Crawford is a good goalie that is paid like a great goalie. That makes him a potential cap casualty. Though again, I doubt his contract would bring much interest around the league.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
OPEC is one of multiple reasons oil prices are down. Supply is up, demand is weakening, USD is strong which puts downward pressure on it, and overall commodity prices are weak. OPEC is reacting to these confluences of factors.

ETA: There is weakening demand from China as well. OPEC isn't arbitrairly lowering prices and energy isn't the end-all be-all when examining economic factors.

What I am pointing out is simply Saudi Arabia is exerting its influence to cause the prices to go down artificially low intentionally because it wants to maintain market share even at a lower price point and because it wishes to use the cheaper oil prices to cripple/weaken the North American oil production industry that relies on costly fracking to obtain its oil.

This isn't Saudi Arabia reacting to normal supply/demand factors but using its power to manipulate the market.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
What I am pointing out is simply Saudi Arabia is exerting its influence to cause the prices to go down artificially low intentionally because it wants to maintain market share even at a lower price point and because it wishes to use the cheaper oil prices to cripple/weaken the North American oil production industry that relies on costly fracking to obtain its oil.

This isn't Saudi Arabia reacting to normal supply/demand factors but using its power to manipulate the market.

I know what you are saying/pointing out and I am disagreeing that that is the only reason. There are other factors at work as well that are just as important to the recent slide in flat price.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
Right, and that is simple economics. There is also loss of demand in the Eurozone. If there wasn't all this happening OPEC wouldn't be slashing prices. As it stands they cannot cut it anymore before it really starts killing their margins. Once it reaches a certain price point they are going to need to cut production and we'll see prices come back in line.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
At what point does buying out Hossa become an option to become (closer to) cap compliant?

Guy will be 36 in two months and just doesn't seem like that contract is something Bowman would let sit on the books and hinder the Hawks from retaining young and core players.

Last edited:

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Hawks can replace some of the forward depth in time with kids in system

When we won the last cup we were on a shortened season of Crow/Emery splitting games with near identical stats, and Crow the prior season choked in the playoffs after sporting a .903. It was a big future-minded move going into the post season starting Crow but he was HARDLY a legit NHL #1 when we won that cup. Not to mention, Niemi. Crow has done nothing but improve since then.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
When we won the last cup we were on a shortened season of Crow/Emery splitting games with near identical stats, and Crow the prior season choked in the playoffs after sporting a .903. It was a big future-minded move going into the post season starting Crow but he was HARDLY a legit NHL #1 when we won that cup. Not to mention, Niemi. Crow has done nothing but improve since then.

And the goalie situation was an even bigger mess in 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad