Salary cap change the way the MLS have it?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
There would really be no point in this. As it stands, no team should have to lose a franchise player or two. It's the supporting cast that takes the hit. In fact, many teams already do the 'franchise' player thing, whether its a young guy like Bergeron or Nash, or more experienced vets like Richards/Lecavailer, Elias, Luongo, etc. Once you make that initial big $$$ investment on a player, even if they hit the UFA market, if they're happy with you it's not going to be hard to retain them.

Like say Rick Nash, making $5.4 mill for the next 4 years. I don't know if he'll be a UFA at the end of that, but it should be close, even if he was though, it's only going to cost them another million or two to keep him, if they're close to the cap then it just means they'd have to lose a Carter or Berard, not Nash. And having been treated well by the organization there should be no reason why he'd want to leave.

Only thing the cap does is prevent teams getting too many 'franchise' players.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Wouldn't this basically circumvent the 54% limit of revenues that the players are entitled to?
Ah ... good point - do you count it or not count it?

If you propose that it doesn't count, I guarantee the owners shoot it down b/c they won't want the big-market teams offering obscene amounts of money to guys, killing the whole "cost certainty" concept.

If you propose that it does count, I think the guys on the low end of the pay scale finally step up and demand something for having potentially 20-25% of their pay sucked out by escrow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad