Salary cap change the way the MLS have it?

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I wonder what your view is about the MLS changing the salary cap so that up to 2 players are not counted in the salary cap allowing teams to get and hold on to their star players.
Could this be something for the NHL? Would that give to much of an advantage to the teams with big markets and/or very rich owners?

:dunno:

Link

cosape

Dec 2, 2006
Toronto
Soccer is a bit different thing because the greatest stars are not playing in MLS instead in ice hockey best players are in NHL. In that way teams can get world-class players to MLS.

According to my understanding that rule was introduced first time when Pele was coming to play in MLS.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
I wouldn't mind a franchise player cap exception but only for a guy that your team drafted and developed. For instance, the Pens would get a cap exception for Crosby. This would ensure a team wouldn't lose 'The Face of the Franchise' due to cap issues. I don't feel a team should be penalized due to it's own success.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
I wouldn't mind a franchise player cap exception but only for a guy that your team drafted and developed. For instance, the Pens would get a cap exception for Crosby. This would ensure a team wouldn't lose 'The Face of the Franchise' due to cap issues. I don't feel a team should be penalized due to it's own success.

yea but these athletes should have more pride playing the game than getting paid.. hell shaq in the NBA who gets paid mad bucks wanted a low salary just to play with the Miami heat...

Crosby87.*

I like that idea, unless they become KC. Then throw that idea away ;)

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC

And conversely teams should not be rewarded for complete incompetency, i.e. a series of top 3 draft picks !!!!

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
As I've said every time this suggestion is made, the NHLPA would never go for anything that treats two players differently based on whether they were "drafted and developed" by the team. Just the fact that a player was traded would be taking potential money out of his pocket.

Furious George

Ville the Villain
Mar 22, 2006
Shark Infested Water
Soccer is a bit different thing because the greatest stars are not playing in MLS instead in ice hockey best players are in NHL. In that way teams can get world-class players to MLS.

According to my understanding that rule was introduced first time when Pele was coming to play in MLS.

From what I've read today, I think this rule was only just implemented in November. And the MLS is maybe a decade or so old, Pele came to America when there was a different league, I think it was the NASL (North American Soccer League.)

Anyways, to the question, I could see some reasons for that the NHL implementing a policy like this, but for now I think the salary cap is working just fine. I believe the NBA has a similar rule where you're allowed to go over the salary cap in order to retain your own players. I really think the best product is going to be one where all teams are on the same level though, with a hard cap and no special rules or exemptions.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Pele never played in MLS (which didn't start until after the 1994 World Cup). You're thinking about the North American Soccer League which ran from 1968-1984.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Considering the cap is there to control spending and not for competitive balance no. Allowing exemptions like that does not help to control spending which is the reason for the cap.

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site
I think they are completely different situations. The MLS is still trying to grow its brand and game. Quite frankly the league's talent has sucked and therefore producing a terrible product, which is part of the reason the league has struggled. It has improved over what it was when it first started out, but its not to the point where it should be (mostly due to money and stupid rules like the 3 Senior Internationals but I digress). Why would a great player want to come here over the EPL, Spanish Liga, etc. Most of the time if they even do come over, they are washed up. The NHL has the best players in the world.

GSC2k2*

yea but these athletes should have more pride playing the game than getting paid.. hell shaq in the NBA who gets paid mad bucks wanted a low salary just to play with the Miami heat...
Shaq is making $20 mil with the Heat. He took no salary cut to play there. You must be thinking of someone else.

Simon

Oct 11, 2004

I don't like it at all. The following are the highest paid players (in terms of cap hit*) drafted by their respective teams. It's actually surprising how little movement there already is involving 'face of the franchise' type players.

Also in the cases of Calgary and Vancouver, their captains have been with those teams for over 10 years but, alas, were acquired through trades.

Ana: McDonald - 3.33 (undrafted)
Cbj: Nash - 5.4
Cgy: Kobesew - 1.2
Chi: Ruutu - 1.88
Col: Sakic - 5.75
Dal: Turco - 5.7
Det: Lidstrom: 7.6
Edm: Hemsky - 4.1
Lak: Frolov - 2.9
Min: Gaborik - 6.33
Nsh: Hamhuis - 2.0
SJ: Marleau - 4.167
Stl: Cajanek - 1.85
Phx: Doan - 3.2
Van: H/D Sedin - 3.575

Atl: Kovalchuk - 6.4
Bos: Bergeron - 4.75
Buf: Afinogenov - 3.33
Car: Staal - 4.5
Fla: Bouwmeester - 2.175
Mtl: Koivu - 4.75
NJ: Elias - 6.0
NYI: Martinek - 0.7
NYR: Lundqvist - 1.88
Ott: Alfredsson - 4.34
Phi: Gagne - 5.25
Pit: Malkin - 3.834
TB: Richards - 7.8
Tor: Kaberle - 4.25
Wsh: Kolzig - 5.45

*I used http://www3.telus.net/public/dreyes/nhl/ to get players cap hits

Simon

Oct 11, 2004
So considering that the average salary saved with a 1 star exemption is 4.147m, the question is do you average that money into the 54% and thus take away salary opportunities from players who weren't drafted by their organization, or do you put that above and beyond the imposed cap, thus raising the ire of owners?

Personally I like the salary cap in it's present form, I think it increases my interest in many minor personnel transfers. I also credit it for peaking my interest in teams that otherwise I wouldn't care less about.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
I don't like it at all. The following are the highest paid players (in terms of cap hit*) drafted by their respective teams. It's actually surprising how little movement there already is involving 'face of the franchise' type players.

Also in the cases of Calgary and Vancouver, their captains have been with those teams for over 10 years but, alas, were acquired through trades.

Mine was just a suggestion. After reading your post, I kind of agree that maybe I'd make the Franchise Player rule account for guys who have played the vast majority of their career with one team, to account for guys like Iginla and Naslund. What I would want to avoid is a team signing or trading for a high priced player and designating him as their Franchise Player. I certainly wouldn't want teams/players to get screwed out of this benefit because they happened to trade for a player when he was still very much in the developmental stages of his career.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Shaq is making $20 mil with the Heat. He took no salary cut to play there. You must be thinking of someone else.

he could be making 25M though:P

NYI: Martinek - 0.7
*I used http://www3.telus.net/public/dreyes/nhl/ to get players cap hits

You forgot Dipietro 4.5M

As for the cap issue i have always been a fan of a soft cap. Have a cap, if a team goes over it by some amount(like 2-3 million) tax them 100%, if they go over that amount by anymore tax them 150%-200% and give all that cash to the "weaker" teams.

The star player cap is only good for "weaker" leagues where they need to attact star players(like MLS or the CFL, which are weaker then Europian soccer leagues or the NFL(although in the CFL's case it more a way to compete with the "world league of american football")). Since the NHL is probably the most popular hockey league in the world they don't need to attract star players dishing out deals that would put the salary structure out of wack. Now let's say if a startup league like the proposed WHA a couple years back came into existence, they would probably be wise to use the star player cap.

Last edited:

GSC2k2*

he could be making 25M though:P

The original quote was that he took a "low salary". $20 mil is not low. More to the point though, he could not get 25 mil, due to the way the cap works. Othere teams would be restricted by the individual salary caps. He can only get 20 because of the way the cap works. He is actually maxed out on his salary. :teach: :P

GSC2k2*

Any exceptions to any cap system are by design necessarily intended to only assist larger market teams in paying more to players (chiefly FA's) and in having a higher payroll tan they otherwise would under a hard cap. Accordingly, if one is interested in doing that, then one should want an exception system. If not, then it is nuts to want one.

Myself, even though my team (the Habs) could spend more in all likelihood, I think it would be a bad thing. The key guiding principal to me is that teams should not benefit from accidents of geography (being in a big market).

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
Half the league would go bankrupt trying to get a big name on their team.

Bad idea.

There isn't really a point to have it in the NHL anyway. The NHL is the premiere league in the world. The MLS is not and therefore need gimmicks like that to get star players.

Realm

Jun 5, 2005
bad idea, so this way the Rangers could say to Crosby. We will give you $25 million to play with us.....no thanks!

KL*

I wonder what your view is about the MLS changing the salary cap so that up to 2 players are not counted in the salary cap allowing teams to get and hold on to their star players.
Could this be something for the NHL? Would that give to much of an advantage to the teams with big markets and/or very rich owners?

:dunno:

Link

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes and YES!

Yes.

The NHL needs to do this. Definitely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->