Salary Cap: Salary Cap 2015: Opinions are like Kunitz on the 1st line - Maybe you shouldn't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
The Pittsburgh reporters on the Pens beat provided an exhaustive twitter play by play of the entire day. Including gems like "so-and-so just stood up" and "now he sat back down". They tried to eavesdrop as best they could but I don't recall them getting any actual information.

Good times. I assume it had something to do with the Kessel trade. Probably something about the pieces being moved, NTC problems and Saad being available.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
These guys?

9characterbanner.jpg

...no...

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
ringwraiths_by_covens_oz.jpg

Seriously guys, read a ****ing book or go to the movies once in a while...

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Perron currently (as in not last season in April, not in EDM, not in STL, not when he was drafted) is not slower than Plotnikov, Bonino, Bennett, Hornqvist, and Kunitz as they are now among the forward group, and he has better agility, balance, and edgework than all of them.

You posting this 100 times doesn't make it any truer, and Perron clearly lacks the consistent drive and effort of PH and Plots. But in any case he's certainly not fast enough to make up for his other shortcomings AND be allocated 5M a year for a team that has no room for him on a PP that's going to be out for 1:30 of every penalty.

It's a salary cap league (unless you're Chicago I guess), and paying 5m for 15 ES goals a year is not ideal.

I don't know why Perron not fitting in is a sudden revelation, that topic was discussed at some length after the Kessel deal. We discussed the value of the player, the fact he'd need a new deal with term, and the unlikelihood his value could be maximized on this roster. And that was without Plotnikov and BB coming into camp and looking great.

The tea leaves have been there for a while now. And Perron coming in and not looking or producing appreciably better than expected didn't help his cause. And don't say he played with crap, because so did BB, and he changed his game and addressed many of his issues. Like a man.

Last edited:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
If the team moved Kunitz (and eventually Scuds), there would be plenty of money to sign Perron.

Again though, if all these problems with Perron's game are true (IMO they aren't), why the hell trade a 2015 1st for him?

It's quite insane.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
What is amazing is that every other team speaks in terms of lines while know it all junior coach always talks about pairs and the other wing doesn't matter. Usually, in MJ's concept, the center and RW are most important and the LW's are all interchangeable. With that in mind, Perron on the RW of the 3rd line, is the 3rd best wing or Sprong is. It is an extremely flawed point of view.

I really hope MJ doesn't put up any Xmas decorations. With the way he has implemented this line-up, he'll be gone by December!

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
What is amazing is that every other team speaks in terms of lines while know it all junior coach always talks about pairs and the other wing doesn't matter. Usually, in MJ's concept, the center and RW are most important and the LW's are all interchangeable. With that in mind, Perron on the RW of the 3rd line, is the 3rd best wing or Sprong is. It is an extremely flawed point of view.

I really hope MJ doesn't put up any Xmas decorations. With the way he has implemented this line-up, he'll be gone by December!

He should go back to coaching the WinterHawks, guy has no business coaching this team. He is worse then Bylsma at stupidity....

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
If the team moved Kunitz (and eventually Scuds), there would be plenty of money to sign Perron.

Again though, if all these problems with Perron's game are true (IMO they aren't), why the hell trade a 2015 1st for him?

It's quite insane.

They make up things. Look at Despres? tried to make him look like a cancer, he never was. Will try with Perron now.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011

It's quite insane.

And that is the real question. The issues the org is apparently realizing exist now should have been red flags prior to that deal being done. There seemed to be a good deal of desperation and short-sightedness in some of those deals last year that should be the bigger complaint now than not doubling down on that mistake now by passing out 25 million bucks.

Another way to look at it that's more optimistic is that we simply don't need a RH trigger man on our PP any more, so we can afford to trade him for a greater need.

The truth is probably somewhere in between.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I sort of agree with Aiastelmon.

I don't know if I would give Perron 4-5M to play with Crosby and Kessel. I'm not sure he's an ideal fit. What I would do is MAKE SURE he's not an ideal and then I'd put him where I think he should be: with Malkin. I MIGHT pay him 4-5M to play with Malkin and Horny/Plots.

I also wouldn't pay him 4-5M to play on the 3rd line. Which seems to be the only place the Pens are willing to give him real time.

They are doing everything they can to not put Perron in a position to earn a next contract.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I bet Perron gets traded for someone like Hamhuis really soon, like within the first month of the season. I don't think Benning intends on missing the playoffs and the Canucks are extremely thin on the wings. If we re-sign Hamhuis, I'd be fine with that move, but I don't know that he'd waive to come here or want to re-sign here.

I also agree with IC and Aistelmon. I wouldn't pay Perron over $5 million regardless, but I would especially not pay him that much if he will either be a bottom-6 forward or Crosby's LW. There is 1 spot on the roster for Perron that I'd be willing to commit big money and long term for him, and that spot is currently occupied by a Russian monster that is a RFA after the year and has shown instant chemistry with Malkin. My main priority next summer would be to make sure to get Plotnikov signed to a multi year deal that doesn't kill our cap (think around $3 million per year, similar to what Komarov got from the Leafs).

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
I sort of agree with Aiastelmon.

I don't know if I would give Perron 4-5M to play with Crosby and Kessel. I'm not sure he's an ideal fit. What I would do is MAKE SURE he's not an ideal and then I'd put him where I think he should be: with Malkin. I MIGHT pay him 4-5M to play with Malkin and Horny/Plots.

I also wouldn't pay him 4-5M to play on the 3rd line. Which seems to be the only place the Pens are willing to give him real time.

They are doing everything they can to not put Perron in a position to earn a next contract.

Hey do you know if they're at all concerned about who's gonna take Kunitz/Dupuis' spot after they retire?

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
I bet Perron gets traded for someone like Hamhuis really soon, like within the first month of the season. I don't think Benning intends on missing the playoffs and the Canucks are extremely thin on the wings. If we re-sign Hamhuis, I'd be fine with that move, but I don't know that he'd waive to come here or want to re-sign here.

Benning wants to get younger, so I'm not sure they'd do that sort of move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad