Salary Cap: Salary Cap 2015: Opinions are like Kunitz on the 1st line - Maybe you shouldn't

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I am very curious to know who the culprit is for some of the major gaffes that have occurred. The mismanagement of the cap last season? Botteril is supposed to be on a level all his own with that stuff. Where was he. Guerin with that Despres trade. Some of the worst asset management ever. Who is completely overseeing this and signing off on it. Who in the world is evaluating talent, seeing we lack skill, and then putting 2 of our most skilled forwards in the dog house? This cannot be real life.

If Botteril and Guerin are the choices for when JR leaves, grab the paddles boys, because we're going up the creek.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I don't even know how to feel right now.

Be happy. You're alive. You get to spend countless hours *****ing about things on he Internet. You have a roof over you head, clean water, and Internet. Life is good, man, life is gooooood.

None of this **** matters. We can talk about it 24/7, but in the end, whatever happens happens. Ain't a damn thing we can do about it. Just smile and enjoy the ride.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
I am very curious to know who the culprit is for some of the major gaffes that have occurred. The mismanagement of the cap last season? Botteril is supposed to be on a level all his own with that stuff. Where was he. Guerin with that Despres trade. Some of the worst asset management ever. Who is completely overseeing this and signing off on it. Who in the world is evaluating talent, seeing we lack skill, and then putting 2 of our most skilled forwards in the dog house? This cannot be real life.

If Botteril and Guerin are the choices for when JR leaves, grab the paddles boys, because we're going up the creek.

Apparently Botteril was against the Despres trade, but was outnumbered. Obviously that played a huge factor in the cap BS, among other things.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Be happy. You're alive. You get to spend countless hours *****ing about things on he Internet. You have a roof over you head, clean water, and Internet. Life is good, man, life is gooooood.

None of this **** matters. We can talk about it 24/7, but in the end, whatever happens happens. Ain't a damn thing we can do about it. Just smile and enjoy the ride.

Until you get a stroke watching these guys play defense!!!

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
The only way trading Perron or Bennett makes sense is if we're bringing back a 22 min a night, bonafide #3 defenseman. That's it. Nothing else will make sense.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013

Most media and rumors said that Botteril did due diligence in informing Rutherford about cap issues (Spaling, Lovejoy, Winnik, defense, etc). However Botteril couldn't stop Rutherford from making moves or force him to make moves.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The only way trading Perron or Bennett makes sense is if we're bringing back a 22 min a night, bonafide #3 defenseman. That's it. Nothing else will make sense.

Neither would bring that back. Trading BB right now doesn't make sense period, but if MJ is insisting Perron is a RW, then trading him for a middle pair D makes sense.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Hearing the contents of the draft day "argument" would help explain a lot about everything.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
He's not the fastest skater out there. Nobody is arguing with you. We're saying you're being ridiculous and reaching by saying--or alluding to--his skating is so terrible that it negates his hands, creativity, shot, passing, hustle, and willingness to go into the hard areas of the ice to battle and dig for pucks. All of which are either far better or no worse than anyone else up for a spot in the top-6 at LW. And his skating, while not a strong suit, is no worse than a handful of other guys on the roster.

I said none of that. I didn't even say his skating was bad. I actually corrected Shady when Shady said something about his skating. His edgework and balance is not a problem.

What I said is that Perron is slow. And Perron is slow. Not only is that obvious, but he openly admits it for at least a year now. I don't understand why I would get any pushback at all on this. He's slow. Watch how fast he's moving. Then watch almost anyone else. He doesn't move as fast.

You keep talking about Perron's "hustle." I'm not sure why. He has the most-inconsistent on-ice work ethic of any forward in camp other than probably Uher. On one shift, he'll take ten crosschecks to get to the net and on the next five he's coasting to God knows where doing God knows what. This is not a new problem that can be explained by an injury or coaching, either.

Further, his in game sense seemed to rise and fall throughout games where one shift he's deftly dangling the defense and the next he's not moving his feet and takes a lazy stick infraction nearly 200 feet from his goal.

Gee, that sounds familiar. It's from three seasons, four coaches and two teams ago.

I'm not exactly out on a limb seeing open and known problems with the guy that just might explain the Penguins thinking Plotnikov might be worthy of more even strength ice time and that, while Kunitz doesn't do more to help you, he does do less to hurt you 5 on 5 (incidentally, Perron's draft profile calls him a strict "Special Teams player," which we can't use him for).

Perron was, after all, in a two man race for which forward could rack up the most minuses with Max Lapierre last year. Lapierre's out of hockey and the other two guys who got scored on more than Perron did (Pouliot, Harrington) are both very probably headed back to the minors.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
I said none of that. I didn't even say his skating was bad. I actually corrected Shady when Shady said something about his skating. His edgework and balance is not a problem.

What I said is that Perron is slow. And Perron is slow. Not only is that obvious, but he openly admits it for at least a year now. I don't understand why I would get any pushback at all on this. He's slow. Watch how fast he's moving. Then watch almost anyone else. He doesn't move as fast.

You keep talking about Perron's "hustle." I'm not sure why. He has the most-inconsistent on-ice work ethic of any forward in camp other than probably Uher. On one shift, he'll take ten crosschecks to get to the net and on the next five he's coasting to God knows where doing God knows what. This is not a new problem that can be explained by an injury or coaching, either.

Gee, that sounds familiar. It's from three seasons, four coaches and two teams ago.

I'm not exactly out on a limb seeing open and known problems with the guy that just might explain the Penguins thinking Plotnikov might be worthy of more even strength ice time and that, while Kunitz doesn't do more to help you, he does do less to hurt you 5 on 5 (incidentally, Perron's draft profile calls him a strict "Special Teams player," which we can't use him for).

Perron was, after all, in a two man race for which forward could rack up the most minuses with Max Lapierre last year. Lapierre's out of hockey and the other two guys who got scored on more than Perron did (Pouliot, Harrington) are both very probably headed back to the minors.

Perron currently (as in not last season in April, not in EDM, not in STL, not when he was drafted) is not slower than Plotnikov, Bonino, Bennett, Hornqvist, and Kunitz as they are now among the forward group, and he has better agility, balance, and edgework than all of them.

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
Anyone has it on tape?

The Pittsburgh reporters on the Pens beat provided an exhaustive twitter play by play of the entire day. Including gems like "so-and-so just stood up" and "now he sat back down". They tried to eavesdrop as best they could but I don't recall them getting any actual information.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5

These guys?

9characterbanner.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad