Saku Koivu Retirement and Legacy

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Koivu did play well with recchi and corson. It was probably corson's last good offensive year although he was hurt alot too.

But the season I'm referring to, I believe the line was recchi and savage.
Ya I can't remember whether Savage was with them or Rucinsky. Rosy might have been with Damphousse. It's a long, long, time ago lol.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Ya I can't remember whether Savage was with them or Rucinsky. Rosy might have been with Damphousse. It's a long, long, time ago lol.

Yeah my memory seems to recall that rucinsky was a fixture with damphousse.

Roughly speaking, here's what I remember:

Koivu breaks into the league on a line with Petrov and Val Bure

Koivu then gets savage and recchi in when he was leading the league in scoring

Then the following year it became corson and recchi.

Then he got savage back into the dark years.

Post cancer, I remember it was alot of zednik with him and some audette.

Then it became Chris Higgins and koivu.

His last year in Montreal may be a contender for best linemate too.... wasn't Tanguay with him? Either way I seem to recall Tanguay had an injury filled season, but strangley enough, it's koivu's most recent season that seems to be the most fuzzy for me.

Last edited:

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
I was listening to Pierre Gervais' audio book lately. Koivu was a real gentleman. We were harsh on him back then, mostly because the entire team sucked so bad and he had to carry it with not much help.

I can only imagine him without his major injury in his rookie season. Or on a second line today behind Suzuki.

I kind of miss him.

Reactions: _habsfan9

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Kovalev for balej was amazing deal too.

Gainey had some massive losses on his trade resume, but he did have some balls. He swung for the fences. Sometimes it was a home run, other times, a massive failure.

Bergevin was a center away from having a serious contender in the mid 2010s but just didn't have that same bravado as Gainey to take a big swing. He was content to hit singles and doubles.
Gainey's problem was losing guys for nothing through players going free agents. Plus his daughters death messed him up for a while.

Reactions: CapSpace

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Gainey's problem was losing guys for nothing through players going free agents. Plus his daughters death messed him up for a while.

Well. Aside from that one season where he intentionally blew up the core, I don't think there are many examples to cite.

The one that comes to mind is Sheldon Souray, but he also picked up hamrlik off the market in the same summer.

On a related note, Souray was still on the market a few days into free agency, and Gainey had called up souray's agent and gave him an offer but said he had 10 minutes to decide.

Souray was about to say yes because his other destinations didn't work out but then he saw on TV that the Habs had signed hamrlik.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
The torch of the dark era…? no thanks.

Loved Koivu but it’s over.
200w.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad