Saku Koivu Retirement and Legacy

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Will sentimentally be my favourite player forever. The only bright light on the Habs as I truly evolved into a true hockey fan.

Reactions: HabsQC

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Wow.. So sad. I will never forgive Gainey for casting him off as an after thought.. Then trading McDonagh for Gomez who couldn't even hold Koivus jock strap.

Sadness he will retire without a cup. Thanks for being the lone bright spot in so many dark seasons.

ZARTONK

Headscratcher!
Jul 4, 2008
Montreal
koivu_cancer510.jpg

Thank you for everything Saku.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
The habs never was the same without Koivu. Screw you Bob Gainey I hate you forever.

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
Too much of a stunt... I don't think Koivu would need to bother with that.

But definitely the best Hab of the most recent generation, and my personal favourite.

Just do it this week or next week before the season starts. We will all have forgotten about it come October.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Godspeed, Saku. You were, as said, a bright light during a dark time for the Canadiens. A class act all the way.

He needs to appear, in jersey, with the "C", at the home opener. Give him the final farewell that he richly deserves.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
I'm all for giving him a one day contract.

I'm very happy with Malhotra's signing, but it would have been fun to see Koivu for a last season as the fourth line center.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
In the light of recent news, I'm just happy he's not trying build media support of a stupid and counter productive last stint.

Good luck in your future endeavors.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Just do it this week or next week before the season starts. We will all have forgotten about it come October.

Yeah I think it would be nice too. A stunt would be signing him for the whole year or something and slapping the C on him. A one-day contract would just be a nice gesture and a bit of closure on the Koivu/Montreal relationship without providing a distraction during the season. I'm for it.

I'm very happy with Malhotra's signing, but it would have been fun to see Koivu for a last season as the fourth line center.

FWIW I seem to remember a quote from Koivu this off-season saying that if his only playing options were as a team's 4th line center, he would probably just retire.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Yeah I think it would be nice too. A stunt would be signing him for the whole year or something and slapping the C on him. A one-day contract would just be a nice gesture and a bit of closure on the Koivu/Montreal relationship without providing a distraction during the season. I'm for it.
I think there are PTO's and SPC's are there 1-day contract provisions in the new CBA?

Anyway, I don't see how it should be different than bringing down Cournoyer or Lafleur or whoever to hold a ceremonial torch in one of the now-standard ceremonies. It doesn't need to go to the gimmick-y lengths of a contract.

I'd have him in town for a jersey retirement ceremony, though. I don't subscribe to the theory that you have to hold to standards of past generations. In the last 20-some years, which is a long time, he was our "greatest" player, and I would support a big send-off and jersey retirement ceremony for him. No 1-day contract required.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I think there are PTO's and SPC's are there 1-day contract provisions in the new CBA?

Anyway, I don't see how it should be different than bringing down Cournoyer or Lafleur or whoever to hold a ceremonial torch in one of the now-standard ceremonies. It doesn't need to go to the gimmick-y lengths of a contract.

Hmm good question, I'm not sure what the CBA has to say about it. But you make a good point, I'm fine with the scenario you posted in your second paragraph too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad