Saginaw Spirit 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Word on the street is Perfetti definitely not reporting.

If he does report it is a bonus and if he doesn't we pick up some OA's with the picks. Hancock, Maksimovich would add to our offensive numbers. Much has to do with our 2 Import picks as to the direction we take. If an offensive forward is taken then we only need one of the aforementioned above. Then concentrate on Theo Calvas to help anchor the D and Michigan born to boot. Still leaves one OA for a goalie if needed closer to trade deadline. We have to address our scoring or lack of to rise in the standings.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
Congrats to Blade Jenkins on OHL First All Rookie Team.

Its going to be very exciting to watch Blade next year.

Reactions: Finster8

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
you can get a boatfull of draft picks for him. plus extra 2 round pick because he is top 5 pick

Saginaw can be awarded a comp 6th pick next draft, one after the 5th pick this season; so, there will be no comp 2nd.
The Petes picked 3rd. They cannot be awarded their comp 1st round pick until after the non-playoff teams picks; so, they would get an extra 2nd (at the end of 2nd round, I believe).
Rumour was that Oshawa had found a team (Saginaw) to select and trade Purfetti to them the day before draft.

Last edited:

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Was watching Canada play the USA and saw Wilde play. He will definitely be a 1st Rd pick the kids has all the assets to play next level. Reminds me of McAvoy type and DD has to try and get him in a Spirit uniform. If the offense adds some depth and Mids comes back for an OA, Wilde signs saves us a bundle of picks to get a player of his stature.

Reactions: LondonKnightsRule

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
I have to let you guys in on a little known secret. Players selected to attend highly prestigious Ivy League or other difficult to enter universities do so, to guarantee their return to finish up a degree from said school. This is important because on academics alone, they may have failed the necessary requirements to attend . The one or two years spent there, reserves them the right to graduate from said school...and that means something later on in life.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Doubt Gilmour they will watch how he develops next year.
Mids and Cormier we're drafted 2016 and still have shelf life wouldn't surprise me that both get signed. Cormier never played on a SSM or London to show how good he really is. How many games did he steal? Without him we do not make the playoffs this year.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
Mids and Cormier we're drafted 2016 and still have shelf life wouldn't surprise me that both get signed. Cormier never played on a SSM or London to show how good he really is. How many games did he steal? Without him we do not make the playoffs this year.

Right, Gilmour was a 2017 NHL draft year along with Webb, sorry.

I agree with your thoughts on Cormier. He'd be signed by now if on a different team. I am a true Saginaw fan, but I think this applies to most kids that get drafted or almost drafted in Saginaw. Development seems to be a bit better elsewhere, once traded, they seem to flourish, feel bad for the kids here sometimes.

I am hoping Middleton signs with Leafs. I thought he had a strong year.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Does it matter when you qualify for the 8th and final spot out of ten teams and are swept four games to none.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Does it matter when you qualify for the 8th and final spot out of ten teams and are swept four games to none.
I am commenting on Cormier's performance of course nothing else. Better than not making the playoffs. Looking forward to the team getting better. Your comment is abviously true but why mention it serves no purpose to what was said.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Yeah. It matters. It got him a nation-wide televised game in the playoffs. Unfortunately that didn't go so well. Development is one thing, but players will get spotted whether they're in Windsor, London, Saginaw, Flint or Sudbury. Scouts might get a few more views at West teams though. Cormier will land a pro contract somewhere this year, one way or another.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Yeah. It matters. It got him a nation-wide televised game in the playoffs. Unfortunately that didn't go so well. Development is one thing, but players will get spotted whether they're in Windsor, London, Saginaw, Flint or Sudbury. Scouts might get a few more views at West teams though. Cormier will land a pro contract somewhere this year, one way or another.
I disagree, but that is okay. I just do not see many positives when you drop from a 6th or 7th seed to a 8th seed and get swept. I would say the same thing about Flint if we ever make the playoffs again. If the series was 4-3 then you will really get noticed. Plus I imagine the viewership ratings were not that great. I am not knocking Saginaw I have always thought making the playoffs to simply make the playoffs and getting swept has little benefit IMO.

Last edited:

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
I disagree, but that is okay. I just do not see many positives when you drop from a 6th or 7th seed to a 8th seed and get swept. I would say the same thing about Flint if we ever make the playoffs again. If the series was 4-3 then you will really get noticed. Plus I imagine the viewership ratings were not that great. I am not knocking Saginaw I have always thought making the playoffs to simply make the playoffs and getting swept has little benefit IMO.

So was Saginaw just going to say hey SSM you are the #1ranked team in Canada and we are the bottom of the teams in the playoffs no sense playing you will beat us anyhow. So we lost 4 straight we never gave up. It is hockey and those young men have pride being swept is part of any organization.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
So was Saginaw just going to say hey SSM you are the #1ranked team in Canada and we are the bottom of the teams in the playoffs no sense playing you will beat us anyhow. So we lost 4 straight we never gave up. It is hockey and those young men have pride being swept is part of any organization.
There's often little to gain on those occasions a team just gets crushed in four straight but you get better at anything by playing better competition. They learned at least a little from that series and the org got to pocket the $ from two packed home games.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Does anyone know what the plans of Alex Turcotte are? He is in 19-20 committed to Wisconsin. He could do the same as what Jenkins has done and has worked out well for Everett and Goldowski.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Does anyone know what the plans of Alex Turcotte are? He is in 19-20 committed to Wisconsin. He could do the same as what Jenkins has done and has worked out well for Everett and Goldowski.

Drinkell said when they drafted Turcotte he was a flyer since we had all the 2nd round picks. Most likely staying USDTP this year and hoping for him to show after getting drafted.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Thanks bcspragu, if we could get some of these gambles to pan out such as Turcotte, Wilde, and Perfetti that is a load of talent and that is how a Championship team is built. If Perfetti deal is already done with Oshawa that could land us 3-2nds 3-3rds and if London wants to up the ante Saginaw is sitting with enough picks to acquire some heavy hitters to an already young solid team.
DD has plenty of work to do this off-season to get the team as competitive as possible.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Thanks bcspragu, if we could get some of these gambles to pan out such as Turcotte, Wilde, and Perfetti that is a load of talent and that is how a Championship team is built. If Perfetti deal is already done with Oshawa that could land us 3-2nds 3-3rds and if London wants to up the ante Saginaw is sitting with enough picks to acquire some heavy hitters to an already young solid team.
DD has plenty of work to do this off-season to get the team as competitive as possible.
Finster8, doesn't this keep kicking the can down the road to competing for higher seeds? Saginaw seems to always have a bounty of picks because of this. However, getting Jenkins to report after a poor year in Plymouth was quite a coup. If, a big IF, those other guys ever report, you would be talking about a top 2 or 3 seed in the entire league

Last edited:

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Finster8, doesn't this keep kicking the can down the road to competing for higher seeds? Saginaw seems to always have a bounty of picks because of this. However, getting Jenkins to report after a poor year in Plymouth was quite a coup. If, a big IF, those other guys ever report, you would be taking about a top 2 or 3 seed in the entire league

Picks from Perfetti deal will be used to bring in O/A's (we can bring in 2 only one returning) and scoring help look for a 2000 or 99 to be brought in over the off season to help immediately . Likely trades have already been in the works since the season ended. Allows the team to make trades now to help club first half of season vs moving a first round player at the deadline for a rental.

Also frees us up to take 2 players next year in the first to move one at the deadline for a rental in 2019-20 while maintaining our current pick stockpile for future use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad