Saginaw Spirit 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumpnchase17

Dec 13, 2017
How long do they continue to play the same players over and over boasting the worst PP in the league? Some of these guys couldn't make a pass in a singles bar. Maybe change them up. you cant get any worse? 4th line are doing pretty good, Give them a shot.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
The success of this team is from the players, not the coach. He changes lines every whistle, guy has no clue!! Will not change pp. worst in league and same players!! Coskey I love, but can't win a faceoff and they have him taking key faceoffs! I don't get it. Players are making him look good right now, but that won't last long. He was out of a coaching job for a reason!!! Now we see it.

hardclimate

Jan 7, 2015
Since we only see the Spirit once a year, these are my reactions based on today's game:
1. it's a good team - Cormier is the real deal - they have good speed, good size and break out well
2. Middleton seems to play 45 minutes out of 60
3. the coach yells a lot

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
How long do they continue to play the same players over and over boasting the worst PP in the league? Some of these guys couldn't make a pass in a singles bar. Maybe change them up. you cant get any worse? 4th line are doing pretty good, Give them a shot.

Interesting idea. Couldn't hurt. Any fourth liner in particular you think should get PP time?

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Jenkins (24), Everett (86), Giroux (177), and Grondin (211) all appear on NHL central scoutings mid term list. Rankings are among North American skaters. Congrats gentleman and keep up the hard work that has gotten you noticed so far.

https://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/assets/binary/295170586/binary-file/file.pdf

Really surprised by Jenkins ranking. 24 among NA would put him somewhere in the early to mid second round.

Dumpnchase17

Dec 13, 2017
Interesting idea. Couldn't hurt. Any fourth liner in particular you think should get PP time?
Katic and Stepien have scored recently with Preuter on the assist so throw them all in and see what happens. Or mix them in with the crew.They could also try a forward on the D.

twinsdad

Dec 1, 2014
Grand Rapids
Thanks for the correction. Saw his name listed on the scoresheet so that was my bad.
Yes, I saw his name too. And he was not announced as a scratch either. So I was hoping that his injury in Sudbury was not that bad. But, he never was on the bench. I was not there early enough to see if he was even able to warm up with the team.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Since we only see the Spirit once a year, these are my reactions based on today's game:
1. it's a good team - Cormier is the real deal - they have good speed, good size and break out well
2. Middleton seems to play 45 minutes out of 60
3. the coach yells a lot

As a Leaf fan (and big Middleton supporter) that only gets to catch the odd Saginaw game is this perception normal?

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
As a Leaf fan (and big Middleton supporter) that only gets to catch the odd Saginaw game is this perception normal?

Injuries on the D has not helped. For some reason to my knowledge TOI/G is a not a stat posted on team web sites or anywhere else for that matter. If anyone has a site it would be much appreciated?

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Injuries on the D has not helped. For some reason to my knowledge TOI/G is a not a stat posted on team web sites or anywhere else for that matter. If anyone has a site it would be much appreciated?

I know. I wish there was a place for that info. If the OHL site can show me a diagram of where every single shot was taken from and give me a play by play for every face off and shot it seems like they could give us TOI numbers.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

So would you say that 25-30 min a night with the toughest matchups is a fair statement? It seems that way from what I've seen but want to be fairful projecting that to the norm.

If so that makes his 5v5/GA (32 in 40 games) staggeringly impressive

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
So would you say that 25-30 min a night with the toughest matchups is a fair statement? It seems that way from what I've seen but want to be fairful projecting that to the norm.

If so that makes his 5v5/GA (32 in 40 games) staggeringly impressive

4thline, your estimate would be close. Also consider who they play SSM, Sarnia, Kitchener, London and Windsor. He is the anchor of the D.

Reactions: 4thline

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Savard18, as a fan and an uncle of a former OHLer I personally now and then always wanted to know how much TOI did he play? As a fan it is a revealing stat for comparing age groups or 1st-2nd rounders etc.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
Tough loss, but Kitchener is a strong under rated team. Good effort on Saginaw!

Still confused on the 7 second shifts. Every whistle, automated change! I love the success this year, but I have to give credit to DD and the talented kids, not too the coach. With the ridiculous shifts, pp, and quick line changes he looks lost while coaching and is being constantly outcoached!

Is Gilmour done for the year???

Last edited:

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Tough loss, but Kitchener is a strong under rated team. Good effort on Saginaw!

Still confused on the 7 second shifts. Every whistle, automated change! I love the success this year, but I have to give credit to DD and the talented kids, not too the coach. With the ridiculous shifts, pp, and quick line changes he looks lost while coaching and is being constantly outcoached!

Is Gilmour done for the year???

Did the same in Kitchener being out coached.

Dumpnchase17

Dec 13, 2017
Exciting game yet clearly it was boys vs men. Kitchener are bigger, stronger and faster, maybe where Saginaw will be in 3yrs. The cheesy calls in the second period railroaded the team with no chance of recovery.
What an environment to play in for these young kids. 6900 people in attendance and the kids stood tall.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

NY would probably be expansion spot number one but as the article mentions, that market has been pretty well flooded with lower level pro hockey.

Idk if they'd want yet another team in MI but I mentioned on a different thread a while back that Port Huron could be a location. 3400 seat arena for hockey. Could make a division of Sarnia, Windsor, Saginaw, Flint, Port Huron. Biggest problem would likely be its proximity to Sarnia though.

Reactions: GensLensBrandon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad