Post-Game Talk: Sabres "win" 3-2

Kamo

Jul 10, 2011
We've been getting pummeled in puck possession since Enstrom went down.

Enstrom is probably our most important defense men, only because if Buff, Myers or Trouba goes down, one of the other two can step up and fill those minutes. On the left side though.... :help:

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Like who?

You believe DeLeo or Kosmachuk are better players than Burmistrov?

Not really. Except for Petan, who is about 1000 x better than Burmi.
But I don't think the rest are much worse. They rookies have growth potential. Burmi doesn't have that. This is as good as he ever will be. The vets we let walk were undoubtably better.

Point is we made a roster spot for this guy. One I don't think he deserved. Before he left, after he returned, or right now.

More importantly I fear that like Thorburn, TNSE will just keep signing and playing him out of some kind of....what? Loyalty? I guess. I don't know. I really can't fathom it.

Also to address the whole "draft position" argument....
I think it is valid. The Narative since day one on this kid has been about "potential". And ensuring the "asset isn't wasted." The Jets/TNSE have put a great deal of effort and time into Signing Burmistrov, and convincing him to return to the Jets. And finding a place and ice time for him. I don't see why. We have let other assets "walk for nothing" yet Burmi we chase? Why? If it isn't for his potential? It's not like there is a shortage of non-scoring hockey players out there.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
focus on the positives.
Wheeler looked very good. Petan looked good and confident.
Copp was one of the stronger players out there. his goal was laughable but his move to get around the D was excellent.

redneckjabronie

Nov 17, 2015
But I don't think the rest are much worse. They rookies have growth potential. Burmi doesn't have that. This is as good as he ever will be. The vets we let walk were undoubtably better.

Point is we made a roster spot for this guy. One I don't think he deserved. Before he left, after he returned, or right now.

More importantly I fear that like Thorburn, TNSE will just keep signing and playing him out of some kind of....what? Loyalty? I guess. I don't know. I really can't fathom it.

I think it is valid. The Narative since day one on this kid has been about "potential". And ensuring the "asset isn't wasted." The Jets/TNSE have put a great deal of effort and time into Signing Burmistrov, and convincing him to return to the Jets. And finding a place and ice time for him. I don't see why. We have let other assets "walk for nothing" yet Burmi we chase? Why? If it isn't for his potential? It's not like there is a shortage of non-scoring hockey players out there.

Bang on. If Petan played like Burmistrov, he'd never get a shift and never see the NHL under Maurice/Chevy. Not sure what management sees in this guy. Clearly not a top 6 player, makes a ton of stupid mistakes and he's approaching 25. There is little upside left for a forward after age 25, you know what you have. And it's not that impressive.

With Connor coming in, Petan's progression and quite possibly a top 3 pick, current top 9 guys like Burmistrov and Stafford become expendable. Stafford looks out of place......the guys coming in are fast and play a skilled game and he looks like a sloth out there.

Lorenzo1000

Sep 8, 2003
Winnipeg
My pick from day 1 was Petan.
Or DeLeo, Or Kosmachuck.
Or kept Tulisty, or Stempniak.

There were plenty of options.

Petan is too small for the NHL. I seriously doubt he will ever amount to anything. De Leo is far more interested in going in the corners than Petan. Not that that will make any difference. Burmi is a different kind of player and has played really well the last part of this season. Good possession player and good penalty killer.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
Petan is too small for the NHL. I seriously doubt he will ever amount to anything. De Leo is far more interested in going in the corners than Petan. Not that that will make any difference. Burmi is a different kind of player and has played really well the last part of this season. Good possession player and good penalty killer.

Players like St. Louis, Gaudreau and Zuccarello say hi.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
focus on the positives.
Wheeler looked very good. Petan looked good and confident.
Copp was one of the stronger players out there. his goal was laughable but his move to get around the D was excellent.

Yes not to mention the fact that this was a massive loss for us in a positive way for the draft seeding. Today was a pretty great day.

Lorenzo1000

Sep 8, 2003
Winnipeg
Players like St. Louis, Gaudreau and Zuccarello say hi.

All guys who will actually go in the corner. Petan either gets knocked off the puck like someone swatting away a fly or won't go in the corner to get it. Same with his games with the Moose. He's a perimeter player who's weak on the defensive side of the game too.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
All guys who will actually go in the corner. Petan either gets knocked off the puck like someone swatting away a fly or won't go in the corner to get it. Same with his games with the Moose. He's a perimeter player who's weak on the defensive side of the game too.

That has nothing to do with his height, though.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

Not what I've seen in the past run of games. He's been along the walls plenty and in the corners also. Does he win board battle after board battle? No. Is he willing to muck it up when he has to? Sure.

I disagree that he's a perimeter player. Shift after shift over the past few games he's tracked the puck well and made smart plays regularly all over the ice, including many that have resulted in opportunities for his line-mates. That's his job. He's a playmaker. He's making plays and improving defensively with it, IMO. Not sure what you're looking for.

folix

Jul 24, 2011

Yeah, not sure your argument holds any water when comparing del Leo to Petan as big size "difference"

Petan is honestly more 5"7 to 5"8. He really is small, but so is Johnny hockey, every thing in today's NHL is more about speed and skill. Big slow teams just don't do well anymore.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
It was an odd experience: I loved Ehlers' goal and Copps goal, but when they lost I loved that too. You get the best of both worlds being a sports fan of a team that's tanking.

re: the goal - I blame Stuart and Hutchinson far more than Burmistrov. Turnovers happen, if Stuart could move his feet he could have got a stick on that shot, and Hutchinson should have that one 95% of the time imo.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I remember debating YWG and some other poster about the odds of the Jets not having a 3 game win streak all year. Some sort of logical fallacy the other dude found himself in how they were 'bound' to get there because the odds of them going a whole season without winning 3 in a row were inconceivable. I am paraphrasing heavily but ... almost at home stretch now. a whole season without a 3 game win streak is on our door step. Chevy is truly quite the architect.

Talk about an exaggeration. :laugh: Can you at least be a little realistic with how that conversation went down? :laugh:

To Tank or not to Tank...that is the question...I think?

What do you want? I am confused...[mod]

Obviously attention. :laugh:

I thought about responding to this post but it is such a ludicrous, over the top, exaggeration with such little context to actually discuss I can't really say much. How is anyone supposed to take this post seriously? :huh:

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
The bolded is the problem, people think that because of his draft position he should be some kind of superstar, but he's not paid like one and he's not played like one. If we can upgrade the roster with someone better I'm all for it, but there's several players that would get pushed off before him.

Exactly, people keep saying that Connor or someone could push him out of the roster but (in my opinion at least) Lowry, Copp, Thorburn and Peluso at the least would all go first. Maybe Burmi isn't a first liner but he can still be a useful player.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER

blind burmi homer. Petan is at least 2000 times better than Burmi. :shakehead

Garbox

Feb 27, 2016
Finland
I like to think of myself as a reasonable and trusting person.

I'm assuming that my code will run, and the user won't make stupid mistakes.

Based on this comment; trusting - yes. Reasonable - umm...

Never underestimate the stupidity of users :naughty:

With love,
IT Support

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Honestly, I don't blame those that are down on Burmi. I disagree. But I base that on both hope, a fuzzy eye test of his high skill level, and his performance pre-KHL, which is a long time ago now. The only undeniable fact is that he has been playing better lately. Thanks for the graphs Whileee. He did have a pretty crap season before that.

So if you're not on the Burmi train yet, cool. I think you will be proven wrong eventually. But it's up to Burmi to do that proving on the ice. He's off to a good start. But I accept those who need to see more before they change their mind. That's fair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad