Rumor: Sabres to host 2016 Entry Draft

Puppa2Miller

Oct 4, 2007
A playoff team is unlikely to trade its 2016 1st when it could trade its 2015 knowing what it is. You have to keep in mind that in the 2016 draft there will be at least three lottery-ized slots, so if you miss the playoffs you not only have a tiny chance at #1, but also fairer chances at #2 and #3... perhaps solid chances at #4 and #5 if they expand it that much. The dynamics between trading picks is going to be altered in some way. On the flip side, teams may not want to give up 2015 1sts knowing that if they wind up in the mid-teens they still could get a really good prospect whereas that may not be the case in 2016.

I think you will start seeing NBA type conditions put on trades where the pick is protected if it ends up winning one of the lottery slots.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
That's weak protection though. In the NBA the pick would have been protected this year, next year, and so on. If the pick doesn't get turned over after a few years it usually becomes just a 2nd rounder.

That's just silly then. I'd prefer to keep the ballsy nature of trades alive. I don't follow the NBA much so I don't know the exact specifics.

Bearbait

Mar 4, 2011
The incentive for 2016 picks over 2015 picks already exists, because we have three 1sts in 2015 already. There's always a preference to spread picks out over drafts when all things are equal. All things aren't equal due to the strength of the 2015 draft, but it's hard to sit here and figure out how you then weigh those two factors. At some point you'd rather have a mid-teens or early-twenties 1st from the weaker draft rather than yet another in 2015.

Stockpiling 1st round picks in ANY draft is never a bad thing though. Case in point: In the 1998 draft, Colorado had 4 first rounders, they took Tanguay, Skoula and Regehr with the first three. Skoula didn't fulfill expectations so I guess the argument could be made that he was a bust, but that's another discussion...

In Hershey (AHL affiliate at the time) they were still trying to develop Wade Belak into a defensemen, but with no other physical presence in the lineup, he became a nightly fighter weather he wanted to be or not (trust me, it was painfull watching how Bob Hartley used Belak in those days) They desperately needed an enforcer, and so Colorado (who were right in the middle of the Detroit rivalry and the McCarty/Lemieux crap was still going on in that prior year) drafted the best fighter in the draft in Scott Parker. People look at that draft now and wonder how the Avs could "waste a pick" on Parker when all those other skilled players were still available.

With draft picks stockpiled, they were able to fill a very specific need that they had in the organization. It didn't hurt that the guy had just put up 30G's and 22A's the previous season in the WHL. Offensive potential on the 4th line was a plus, and that's why they drafted him, he just pounded people to death and that's what they needed.

So stockpiling inside one draft isn't necessarily a bad thing, more options are good in any draft.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I watched the video of the Reinhart selection last night. Devine is cheesing the whole time. Black is smiling. Everyone on stage looks happy. Except for Dwight - he looks legitimately angry and annoyed that he had to be there. Quite funny and - at this point - typical and par for the course.
I like the story from Anaheim after they drafted Getzlaf. Everyone in the organization loved him, nobody thought he would fall that far, and they were popping champagne when they had the good fortune to pick him at 15. Murray got back to the table/war room and was like "hey, we have another first, there's still work to do." Corey Perry was their next pick.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
How about this idea.....The team that finishes last in the league each year gets to hold the draft in their city ? (Or the team that wins the lottery)

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
Joining Colin Campbell will be the Mayor of Buffalo, Sabres Pres. Ted Black, HARBORCENTER Pres. John Koelmel and Pres. Of Kaleida Health.

Sounds more like combine.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
@BillHoppeNHL

Should caution fans ... one report it's the draft. LOTS of speculation it's the combine. Our friend @StepnerWKBW reporting it's the combine.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Joining Colin Campbell will be the Mayor of Buffalo, Sabres Pres. Ted Black, HARBORCENTER Pres. John Koelmel and Pres. Of Kaleida Health.

Yep, I'd say almost definitely the combine. They put in the bid, after all. President of Kaleida Health kinda gives it away.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport

HARBORCENTER and Kaleida health being at the press conference pretty much means that it's about the Combine. They have no reason to be there otherwise.

The draft would mainly be held in First Niagara Center and there's no major need for medical staffing other than the usual event EMTs and doctors.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
HARBORCENTER and Kaleida health being at the press conference pretty much means that it's about the Combine. They have no reason to be there otherwise.

The draft would mainly be held in First Niagara Center and there's no major need for medical staffing other than the usual event EMTs and doctors.

The announcement for tomorrow has already been confirmed as being about hosting the combine: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1723551

Bps21*

They should make the following announcements all at once:

Buffalo is getting the combine for 2015 and 2016. Then they're getting the draft in 2016. They're also winning the lottery in 2015 as thanks for building us this great facility. Then they'll be getting the Cup.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It still remains a possiblity that they land the draft. It would be another feather in their cap, and of course more of the FNC/Inner Harbor development would be completed by '16. Hard to imagine it's been 16 years since the last draft in Buffalo.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
Florida drafts #1 overall then hosts the draft the following year...maybe we can repeat that scenario.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad