Confirmed with Link: Sabres sign G Devon Levi to a 3 year ELC

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Last night shouldn’t be taken as “oh Levi can be great in the NHL” because he played well in the 2nd and 3rd. This was a microcosm of him right now and this season and it should be an even bigger emphasis on what we are doing to him jerking him around.

No experience so he gets absolutely shellacked in the 1st then bounced back. We know he can be brilliant. But. He. Needs. AHL. Experience. Send him down after this trip.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
Last night shouldn’t be taken as “oh Levi can be great in the NHL” because he played well in the 2nd and 3rd. This was a microcosm of him right now and this season and it should be an even bigger emphasis on what we are doing to him jerking him around.

No experience so he gets absolutely shellacked in the 1st then bounced back. We know he can be brilliant. But. He. Needs. AHL. Experience. Send him down after this trip.

He either needs sent down, or he needs to be getting 50% of the starts. What is the point of having him in a backup role? This season is done anyway.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Strange game from Levi. Couldn't stop a beach ball the first 10 minutes, then becomes full Dom Hasek

As I said earlier, this reminds me of Dom's first season here. You could see the talent, but he was inconsistent

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Strange game from Levi. Couldn't stop a beach ball the first 10 minutes, then becomes full Dom Hasek

As I said earlier, this reminds me of Dom's first season here. You could see the talent, but he was inconsistent
Probably rusty to start the game, then dials it in. Makes the case for more reps in Rochester. He’s gonna be a great goalie, but a prolonged AHL stint will speed up his development.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Probably rusty to start the game, then dials it in. Makes the case for more reps in Rochester. He’s gonna be a great goalie, but a prolonged AHL stint will speed up his development.

I think sustained NHL time would be what he needs, like what Dom needed.

However, with UPL having EARNED the number 1, that will be hard to come by

Reactions: Jacob582

RoyalOverNavy

Feb 25, 2023
Good decision. Now on to the next next decision.
Do does GMKA keep Levi in Rochester the rest of the season?
I would be tempted but for the fact that he's a much better goalie than Comrie.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Good decision. Now on to the next next decision.
Do does GMKA keep Levi in Rochester the rest of the season?
I would be tempted but for the fact that he's a much better goalie than Comrie.

Maybe I'm nuts, but I keep him in Rochester for a good bit. Let's look ahead to our schedule:

Our next back-to-back occurs in MARCH.......March 2/3 and then March 6/7. In fact, between 2/13 and 3/12, we play 15 games and only have ONE multi-day break.

Our next game is 2/6 and then we don't play again until 2/10, then not again until 2/13.

So personally, I'm leaving Levi in Rochester until AT LEAST 2/13.

Let's assume that UPL gets 2/6, 2/10 and 2/13 -- plenty of time off between starts. Then we start the every-other-day meat grinder for a month. By the time 2/13 comes, Comrie is going to need to be exposed to waivers again (meh). But if the Sabres are relatively healthy, I'm fine doing the 3 goalie thing during the every-other-day monthlong meat grinder.

So yeah, I say we leave Levi in Rochester until 2/15 or so. Then call him back up and let him spell UPL some. Comrie gets eternal backup duty.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

RoyalOverNavy

Feb 25, 2023
You're not nuts. As I mentioned, I have to wonder if Sabres brass is considering leaving DL27 in Rochester for the duration of the season.
I don't think the Sabres will make the playoffs with or without Levi. I do think they can make a real good run at it with Luukkonen getting the bulk of the minutes, though.
The Amerks have over 30 regular season games remaining (35, I think). And throw in playoffs (hopefully a similar run to last year). Give Levi a heavy load of that, please.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
You're not nuts. As I mentioned, I have to wonder if Sabres brass is considering leaving DL27 in Rochester for the duration of the season.
I don't think the Sabres will make the playoffs with or without Levi. I do think they can make a real good run at it with Luukkonen getting the bulk of the minutes, though.
The Amerks have over 30 regular season games remaining (35, I think). And throw in playoffs (hopefully a similar run to last year). Give Levi a heavy load of that, please.

see the stats posted above. We are so far back due to Comrie's play.

If UPL keeps up this play, Levi is never going to be more than a backup anyways. Use him as the backup then

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
see the stats posted above. We are so far back due to Comrie's play.

If UPL keeps up this play, Levi is never going to be more than a backup anyways. Use him as the backup then
Levi is one of the worst goalies in the entire league and literally has the same career avg as Comrie, yet Comrie gets all the blame from you for this season’s misfortunes after only playing a few games.

Your hatred for Comrie makes no sense, along with anything else you say on here. Did Comrie hurt you? It really does seem personal because there is no logic behind your stance, which was established before Comrie played a game, and no one has agreed with on here at all.

You can’t even back up your dumb opinions with reasons behind it.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Hopefully Sabres' management has come to the sensible conclusion that the playoffs are almost certainly out of reach (9 points from WC2, 5 teams to pass, 31 games left), and Comrie's likely ineptitude will not be harmful.

Levi can start in Rochester for the duration of the season, where he should have been all along.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
Levi is one of the worst goalies in the entire league and literally has the same career avg as Comrie, yet Comrie gets all the blame from you for this season’s misfortunes after only playing a few games.

Your hatred for Comrie makes no sense, along with anything else you say on here. Did Comrie hurt you? It really does seem personal because there is no logic behind your stance, which was established before Comrie played a game, and no one has agreed with on here at all.

I'm not sure how much I buy into these advanced stats, but Levi and UPL have almost identical goals saved above expected, and it is far from worst in the league.

1706493041876.png

Reactions: Dingo44

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I'm not sure how much I buy into these advanced stats, but Levi and UPL have almost identical goals saved above expected, and it is far from worst in the league.

View attachment 812348

If you look at conventional stats, Levi is 47th (out of 55 goalies with 15+ GP) in Sv% and GAA.

So I suppose there is some support for "one of the worst goalies in the league".

However, the eye test and the fancy stats to tend to negate that argument.

I think Levi has been fine. Some games/areas need improving.....others he's played well.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
If you look at conventional stats, Levi is 47th (out of 55 goalies with 15+ GP) in Sv% and GAA.

So I suppose there is some support for "one of the worst goalies in the league".

I think Levi has been fine. Some games/areas need improving.....others he's played well.

To my eye, the Sabres bleed high danger chances against, especially early in the game. Maybe that isn't the best environment for a rookie goalie anyway and he should be getting AHL time. I think his performance has ranged from "meh/okay" to "very good" for a rookie.

Reactions: Zman5778

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX

Levi having the same year as comrie?

I have seen it all posted now. Totally detached from reality and the stats, both conventional and advanced

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX

For once, we agree on the goaltending. Levi has been fine this year. Just needs to be more consistent

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
They literally both have the same career NHL save percentage. It's pure reality.

we're not talking about career. We are talking about the present!

Comrie is a much worse goalie right now that is Levi. The conventional and advanced states prove that beyond any reasonable doubt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad