Confirmed with Link: Sabres sign CJ Smith (UMass-Lowell LW)

Patman

Feb 23, 2004
www.stat.uconn.edu
Unfortunately he was three minutes late to the contract signing and per team rules will now be thrown into a volcano.

That's bad, right? Volcano=no good?

---

UMass Lowell alum here... nothing to say because i'm worthless at analyzing hockey... 100+ points in 3 seasons... first player to do that at Lowell since the era where teams scored 4 per game apiece.

We wish he would stay but it makes sense for him to move forward with his career. Oh well.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
My problem isn't really with Vesey himself, but more with the circus that surrounded his choosing a team (which is largely Vesey's fault, I guess). Many of us spent a lot of time on Vesey, and even Drake Caggiula, and I like that this signing of a player (who had a nice college career) seemed to come out of nowhere.

Yes I remember the talk when we were in the running to sign Vesey, Caggiula and O'Connor. For the most part the vast majority of college free agent signings don't amount to much. Ruhwedel and Casey Nelson are two recent examples. But the way Vesey handled himself soured me immensely. I don't feel it's the players "right" to finish his college career and then choose where to sign even though he was drafted by a franchise. Mike Van Ryn did it several years back. To me it's a chicken **** move. I feel a NCAA player who is drafted should not be allowed to finish his 4 years and then right away become an UFA. They should be required to finish all 4 years AND must be 25 years of age. That would literally eliminate every Vesey type situation as no player with NHL prospects is going to sit around the 2-3 years they have once graduating until they turn 25 years old.

If the NHL cares so much about parity they would close that route to NCAA players. It seems the teams that benefit from **** like that are the Rangers and Blackhawks of the NHL world. If they want to make it more fair and generate parity they should want NCAA players with a future in the NHL to be forced to sign an ELC with the team that drafted them. It should also extend to CHL players to. No more refusing to sign an ELC and re entering the draft or anything of that sort. Players shouldn't have that "right". This is a professional league that only exists due to the 30(31) teams who sustain the league. They aren't forced to be in the NHL so it's ridiculous and laughable that they somehow have "rights". Any player that utilizes loop holes for their own gain at the expense of the drafting team is a piece of human garbage and I wish nothing but ill will. Cal Peterson will be the next piece of garbage to pull a Vesey.

ende

Dec 12, 2005
Yes I remember the talk when we were in the running to sign Vesey, Caggiula and O'Connor. For the most part the vast majority of college free agent signings don't amount to much. Ruhwedel and Casey Nelson are two recent examples. But the way Vesey handled himself soured me immensely. I don't feel it's the players "right" to finish his college career and then choose where to sign even though he was drafted by a franchise. Mike Van Ryn did it several years back. To me it's a chicken **** move. I feel a NCAA player who is drafted should not be allowed to finish his 4 years and then right away become an UFA. They should be required to finish all 4 years AND must be 25 years of age. That would literally eliminate every Vesey type situation as no player with NHL prospects is going to sit around the 2-3 years they have once graduating until they turn 25 years old.

If the NHL cares so much about parity they would close that route to NCAA players. It seems the teams that benefit from **** like that are the Rangers and Blackhawks of the NHL world. If they want to make it more fair and generate parity they should want NCAA players with a future in the NHL to be forced to sign an ELC with the team that drafted them. It should also extend to CHL players to. No more refusing to sign an ELC and re entering the draft or anything of that sort. Players shouldn't have that "right". This is a professional league that only exists due to the 30(31) teams who sustain the league. They aren't forced to be in the NHL so it's ridiculous and laughable that they somehow have "rights". Any player that utilizes loop holes for their own gain at the expense of the drafting team is a piece of human garbage and I wish nothing but ill will. Cal Peterson will be the next piece of garbage to pull a Vesey.

Agree.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007

In fact this doesn't go far enough. Free agency should be abolished altogether and any player who doesn't want to play for the team who drafted him should not only never be allowed to play hockey again, but if his refusal to play is a detriment to his team, he should also have to pay reparations to the team.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Not going to lie it gives me great satisfaction to see Vesey playing the way he has. On a team as deep as the Rangers he's been a disappointment for all the hype he generated. I highly doubt he would be putting up much better numbers here either even with far more ice time.

Vesey just reinforces the trend that these longtime NCAA guys aren't elite prospects unless they're Jack Eichel and only spending a year there. Back when we got Vesey and he was suddenly a surefire top 6 weapon and Jack's true complement on the wing, some of us were looking at his comparables and saying hell, a lot of these guys don't even turn into elite minor leaguers. Maybe 20% carve out an NHL career. Winning a Hobey Baker at age 22 or 23 and $1.50 will get you a cup of coffee in the NHL, and you could see that trend over a couple decades.

Nice to have a lottery pick, but a guy with CJ Smith's pedigree is a minor league player until proven otherwise IMO.

Cue all the snarky guys going do you even watch him, and of course I ****ing don't. But all the wiseacres who tried that line about Vesey all last summer and how he was a future 40 goal scorer should learn something about what your observations are worth watching guys light up that level of league. I recall a lot of specific promises that if you just watched him with one's keen scouting eye, it was easy to see he was at least a 30 goal scorer at the NHL level. Pshaw.

Last edited:

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016

meh, worrying about nothing, these guys who play 4 years in college are almost always lower round draft picks meaning long shots to make the NHL. CJ Smith wasn't drafted at all.

what i already worry about, nightmare actually, is Eichel being only obligated to be with us for 5 more years. i hate he's from Boston, people from there are fiercely proud of coming from there, who knows, maybe it's sociologically tied up with being the birthplace of the American Revolution. I'm already thinking Pegula has to figure something out to entice him to stay, without circumventing the salary cap.

I do calm myself down with the fact that no NHL superstar has bolted the team that drafted them but I think eventually that streak will be broken. Lebron James left Cleveland, Kevin Durant left OKC. Edmonton and Toronto I'm sure will worry about McDavid and Mathews who both come from hometowns that have NHL teams.

It would be so Buffalo.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
meh, worrying about nothing, these guys who play 4 years in college are almost always lower round draft picks meaning long shots to make the NHL. CJ Smith wasn't drafted at all.

what i already worry about, nightmare actually, is Eichel being only obligated to be with us for 5 more years. i hate he's from Boston, people from there are fiercely proud of coming from there, who knows, maybe it's sociologically tied up with being the birthplace of the American Revolution. I'm already thinking Pegula has to figure something out to entice him to stay, without circumventing the salary cap.

I do calm myself down with the fact that no NHL superstar has bolted the team that drafted them but I think eventually that streak will be broken. Lebron James left Cleveland, Kevin Durant left OKC. Edmonton and Toronto I'm sure will worry about McDavid and Mathews who both come from hometowns that have NHL teams.

It would be so Buffalo.

Not one bit worried. We will lock Eichel up this year. If Eichel wanted to be somewhere else he would have stayed at BU.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
In fact this doesn't go far enough. Free agency should be abolished altogether and any player who doesn't want to play for the team who drafted him should not only never be allowed to play hockey again, but if his refusal to play is a detriment to his team, he should also have to pay reparations to the team.

:biglaugh: Clearly.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Generally the college draft route is not an issue. But I think if there is to be some equity, and to enforce the spirit of the draft, rights should extend to 2 years after graduation a la RFA. The compensation will not be much even at the maximum rookie level but that should help a bit. The glory teams will not wink wink tell a player who is looking good in his junior year to hang there. Yeah that is a no no--but someone who is close to someone who is close to someone says he has it on good authority etc etc....

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009

I know you are being sarcastic but what right do these NCAA players have where they should be allowed to dictate where they get to sign even if they were drafted?! I don't know about NCAA but in regards to Euro draft picks teams would hold their rights to age 31 in the pre 04-05 lockout days. Regular unrestricted free agency didn't happen for players until they turned 31 and passed their prime so I think it's funny how they can finish their degree and in 4 years at the age of 22 totally **** over a team and get to pick where they go. These players haven't earned ****. Seeing Vesey pretty much massively disappoint pleases me greatly. If/when Peterson does the same thing I will be actively rooting against him hoping he does poorly wherever he goes.

As for Smith I'm glad we are signing one of the top goal scoring college prospects. We went the dmen route with Ruhwedel and Nelson and it didn't work out at all. Maybe we can find a future top 6/9 forward instead in Smith. These college free agents are total lottery tickets so if he ends up even being an NHL regular playing on the 3rd line potting ~15 goals a year then this signing is like hitting a jackpot.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I know you are being sarcastic but what right do these NCAA players have where they should be allowed to dictate where they get to sign even if they were drafted?! I don't know about NCAA but in regards to Euro draft picks teams would hold their rights to age 31 in the pre 04-05 lockout days. Regular unrestricted free agency didn't happen for players until they turned 31 and passed their prime so I think it's funny how they can finish their degree and in 4 years at the age of 22 totally **** over a team and get to pick where they go. These players haven't earned ****. Seeing Vesey pretty much massively disappoint pleases me greatly. If/when Peterson does the same thing I will be actively rooting against him hoping he does poorly wherever he goes.

You've got some rather specious reasoning here. What bearing does the holding of rights of players drafted prior to the 2004-05 lockout have on players drafted now. That's literally two collective bargaining agreements ago. Unrestricted free agency happens at 27 now, not 31. The idea that the way rights were held two CBAs ago should have anything to do with rights now is absurd.

Also with the way things work now-a-days how many NCAA players remaining in college for four years after being drafted is going to "**** over" the team drafting them? Most college players drafted with high picks are going to be signed long before they ever have a chance to complete their NCAA eligibility. The exceptions are largely going to be players that teams were hesitant to sign before they reached that point and, frankly, if a team knew it had four entire years to sign a first round pick and opted to wait until he was within view of free agency to try to sign him in earnest, they have no one to blame but themselves. And when it comes to players who were first rounders and don't sign, teams get compensatory picks for them.

When a player was a mid to late round pick and doesn't sign? Those picks are a crap shoot anyway. Every team passes on signing guys that it's drafted in that range every few years. So on an extremely rare occasion it's the player that opts to not sign rather than the team? It's a minor loss of an asset that, if chance had broken differently, would've ended up lost for other reasons.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
blue collar huh - i think Murray being able to offer him 5 games immediately, that's $55K, plus the $92.5K signing bonus which I assume is also paid immediately meant more than the city being blue collar. not to mention the roster depth isn't great, he sees who needs to beat out and it's not that intimidating.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00