Recalled/Assigned: Sabres Recall G Jonas Johansson from Rochester (1-29-20)

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Very surprised. Thought for sure it would be a Hammond.
I think they know they have to get an NHL assessment on Johansson sooner rather than latter. Hutton has to be replaced for next year. Another goaltender has to come from somewhere, and before you trade assets or spend money in free agency, you better find out if your solution as Ullmark's backup next year is already in the organization. I think JJ has been under rated for some time now. He is a BIG positional goaltender, more similar in style to Ullmark than Hutton. Better defense in front of him at the NHL level will prove him out to be backup capable I think. UPL and Portillo may end up the best two of the four, but they are both years away.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
It would be amazing if he could come in and take command of the crease while Ullmark is out. Give us some sort of silver lining in all of this mess.
Hoping for the same. Also hoping they realize that Cornel is the real deal too and give him a NHL deal to end the year.

FormerSabresFan

Sep 14, 2015
You guys know JJ is gonna get absolutely lit up against NHL talent, right?

There's no silver linings in Buffalo, just s.h.i.t. storms...all day, every day.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
Having JJ be able to be Ullmarks backup would be a reasonable cheap tandem for our new GM to work with

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
How did he look in his relief play thus far?

Also, do you think Buffalo will trade Hutton at this trade deadline and just go with Ullmark and Johansson for the rest of this season?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Also, do you think Buffalo will trade Hutton at this trade deadline and just go with Ullmark and Johansson for the rest of this season?

I don't think Hutton has any trade value, considering he's signed for another year at $2.75 M after this one. We don't know the nature of how long Ullmark will be out or if he will return prior to the deadline anyway.

As for how he played? He was square to shots and tracked the play calmly. He was still beaten twice (once off the pipe, one a GA that was a snipe). I had no complaints with him at all and he should get more time than RK likely will give him since Hutton is no longer an NHL netminder.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

1st NHL game in relief with a leaky team in front of him? I was happy with his play. He seemed to be solid in his base while moving in the crease. IMO, I think once Buffalo is for sure eliminated, I think you see JJ sent down to get ready for the playoff run, if Ullmark isn't back in time, and UPL our other solid goaltending prospect is given a few games up with the club to see his progress.

I believe Hutton will be here until the end of the season.

As for JJ, he needs to show a little more experience in the AHL before full time Backup time in the NHL. But Im happy where he shown to be.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Why do people think UPL should be on the Sabres in a year at 20 yrs and a half a year of ECHL pro hockey, but think JJ hasn't had enough seasoning at 24 yrs? JJ is more or less in the same place Ullmark was last year. They should give him a bunch of NHL games and then send him to the AHL for the playoffs.

Reactions: Chainshot

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4