Friedman: Sabres preparing for An Additional Top Ten Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Think you missed the point, which was that people said these are the players that are non-starters. In hindsight none of the players mentioned could even sniff the value of ROR.

Point being just because you state someone to be a blue chipper that will not be involved there is a great chance that the said player will not pan out as expected.
Just going to talk about your last paragraph.

Sure, absolutely no doubt. No argument. People overrate prospects here. We all do it.

At the same time...my point being: Just because you say a team should give up it's blue chip prospects for your player... as we've seen by ROR... you often don't have to do it to get the player.

I mean, we actually do know what ROR's market value was based on what BUF accepted.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Just going to talk about your last paragraph.

Sure, absolutely no doubt. No argument. People overrate prospects here. We all do it.

At the same time...my point being: Just because you say a team should give up it's blue chip prospects for your player... as we've seen by ROR... you often don't have to do it to get the player.

I mean, we actually do know what ROR's market value was based on what BUF accepted.

I don't think anyone believes that was RORs market value based on a GMs stupid decision.
The Sabres painted themselves into a corner with ROR and were stubborn

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
tenor.gif

Your buddy said I posted most of the 2400 replies to this dumb thread but I'm 90% sure it's just you posting gifs...

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
I've said on these boards and elsewhere that Eichel to LA makes good sense for Buffalo. They'd be lucky to Turcotte and Vlardi plus a nice D man and the top 10 pick. But if you're LA, maybe you shoot for a cheaper, healthier star center with playoff pedigree to complement your team now AND later.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
You do understand the Bonus was a big part why we didn't land those players .

Yes.

To quote a genius: That's what market value is.

Hence why trading 2 or 3 ELC bluechippers and a top 3 pick for an injured player with a $10m contract is NOT market value.

Glad we finally can agree 100 pages in.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Ok you don't want a franchise center I got it .
We've already established that you can get perfectly good Conn Smythe/Selke Caliber 1B for the price of a guy who retires rather than play for you, another guy you wished retired, a middle 6 F "prospect" and a late conditional 1st.

My momma taught me to never pay retail when you can buy wholesale.

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo
We've already established that you can get perfectly good Conn Smythe/Selke Caliber 1B for the price of a guy who retires rather than play for you, another guy you wished retired, a middle 6 F "prospect" and a late conditional 1st.

My momma taught me to never pay retail when you can buy wholesale.

Ok go find one

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
I think Jack gets traded AFTER the expansion draft but BEFORE the NHL draft.

The difference between the Sabres protecting Bjork and Idk, Thompson is so insignificant. Our last protected list is entirely gone and no longer on the Sabres.

However if you trade Jack to a team that already has super difficult decisions for the expansion draft, yet you want future picks and young talent that isn't eligible for the expansion protection list, then you really deter that team from trading for Jack, who you obviously protect before the expansion draft. Your just adding to a teams problems going into the expansion list they need to create.

So do the trade partner "a solid" and say sure, we'll hold Jack through expansion lists we all need provide, so we have to eat protecting him, and you can certainly work that into the negotiation on his value.

Some teams may have already said, "look GMKA, we want to make an offer that looks attractive, however having to protect Jack really screws us. So as long as Jack is still available Thursday before the real NFL draft, we'll sign on the dotted line for him".

Thoughts? How much does this help out a team like LA or Minny?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad