McKenzie: Sabres may move on from Lehner

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Bob Mckenzie on his bobcast mentioned on his Bobcast Podcast that the new sabres management way look to move on from Lehner he seems to think they aren't sold on Lehner as the guy

I believe and have always believed Lehner was better suited as a backup. I do believe that if Buffalo wants to move forward they need to find the guy in net.

If they do move Lehner who would you bring in?

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
No one because Lehner is the starter.......get defenseman no real concerns on goalies.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
It's about time honestly, he's been consistently quite a bit below average and showing no real signs of improving.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I mean I've only really paid attention to him against the Habs but he's usually looked solid against us (of course, we make everyone look solid) but he has SV% of .924 and .920 in two seasons with a Buffalo team that has had Bylsma and weak defense. Is he really to blame to the point where they're "ready to move on"?

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
He's a credible starter, he cant save a puck for his life in the shootout but his numbers match that of a good starting goalie in the NHL. The only reason we move from Lehner is because he went to arbitration.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
This is odd, I was under the impression Lehner was a solid young starter. 25 years old, 166 games experience, and a solid year with a .92% SV and 59 GP looks good on the stat sheet.

I remember wanting the Oilers to acquire him over Talbot but I guess I was wrong..

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
His save% has been good the past few seasons he's a capable starter fix the D

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Buffalo paid a big price for him as that 1st they traded in 2015 (21st) turned out to be White for Ottawa and could have been Boesser (23).

Edit... his value now is a mid 2nd rounder plus a 5th rounder.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
You're sorely mistaken about him being below average.

I'm looking at the numbers as we speak, hasn't been above average in any of the seasons i'm looking at, 13/14-16/17 using Ian Flemings SAV3 charts.

He's quite a bit below average in xGSAA/60, Adjusted Save %, AAA% etc in this time span, all 5v5.

So he must be incredible on the PK to make him an above average NHL goalie because 5v5 he's not very good when adjusting using xG.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I'd really like to see him start another year behind a hopefully improved D and a non Disco system. I don't see the need to move on with more pressing needs. It's premature.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The only reason to move on from him is if they aren't sold on his personality (and he's viewed as divisive). He has the skill to be a long-term starter.

There have always been rumblings about him being difficult and unprofessional. I have no idea how much merit these claims have, but if the new Sabres management team has questions about these they could move on from him.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
no way, goalies are hard to come by...hes still big and young, and has put up solid numbers past two years infront of bad team

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
This is odd, I was under the impression Lehner was a solid young starter. 25 years old, 166 games experience, and a solid year with a .92% SV and 59 GP looks good on the stat sheet.

I remember wanting the Oilers to acquire him over Talbot but I guess I was wrong..

You are pretty much right on. Once they actually get a defense then he and his numbers will look even better. It would be a mistake to give up on him now.

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
Where does Bob come up with this angle? Botterill, talking about Lehner:

“I have no problem starting next season with him in goal,†the Sabres’ general manager told Sportsnet in an article published Tuesday. “There are more pressing needs. I liked what I saw from him when he won the Calder Cup.â€

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Outside fan. But this one surprises me a lot. Lehner doesn't strike me as amazing, but he seemed very solid last year and the year before. The timing of this seems way off.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
If the stars were able to get Bishop for a 4th, the Sabres should have offered a 3rd. Keep Lehner as the backup.

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
Outside fan. But this one surprises me a lot. Lehner doesn't strike me as amazing, but he seemed very solid last year and the year before. The timing of this seems way off.

It is, Bob is channeling his inner Eklund here

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
Perfect offseason to do it. Think they should go after one of the lesser young exposed goalies and have him challenge Lehner for the job. See if either can distanced the other under a new (hopefully better) coach.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Perfect offseason to do it. Think they should go after one of the lesser young exposed goalies and have him challenge Lehner for the job. See if either can distanced the other under a new (hopefully better) coach.

Ditch Lehner if you can get Grubauer for cheap. Profit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad