Confirmed with Link: Sabres have signed Lawrence Pilut (LD, HV71)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
So people are down on Antipin? I guess he didn't play the press box with enough class?

If I was Pilut I would take a look at HFBoards before making a decision so he can get a feel for the misery hes signing up for, experience the self wallowing that nothing will ever be good enough and truely experience the losing culture that grips the Sabres team directly thru its HF fans.
Antipin would be great to bring back. They'll need to buyout or trade some of the: McCabe, Beaulieu, Bogosian, Fedun crowd to make room though. Let's be honest, they'd all make it through waivers so we don't really have to.

Reactions: BackGroundMusic

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Antipin would be great to bring back. They'll need to buyout or trade some of the: McCabe, Beaulieu, Bogosian, Fedun crowd to make room though. Let's be honest, they'd all make it through waivers so we don't really have to.

They don't have to buy anyone out to fit Pilut in. Gorges is done, Fedun and Tennyson are both RHD and were varying degrees of unsatisfactory and will be in Rochester. While it would be awesome to part ways with Beaulieu on LD, there is also no guarantee Pilut is ready to fill those minutes right out of the gate.

Last edited:

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016

Beaulieu can be bought out with little impact. Fedun can be waived to play in Rochester. Similar to Beaulieu, if Buffalo wanted to, they could trade McCabe for a lower round pick (3-5). Someone would take a reclaimation project on him as an RFA. Bogo, I don’t know what to do.

What I’m saying is that Buffalo has a lot of “not very good” defensemen so it’s not an issue to move some of them out. The only particular problem is Bogo.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If you aren't Swedish or you didn't play at BU, you are SOL.

Phil Nyberg and Linus Wiessbach should transfer and the singularity will happen.

Back to Pilut, he should be in the mix, all depending on his camp. It's not like the guys returning are either good or healthy enough to automatically get bids over him so it should be on merit whether he makes it or not.

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
Phil Nyberg and Linus Wiessbach should transfer and the singularity will happen.

Back to Pilut, he should be in the mix, all depending on his camp. It's not like the guys returning are either good or healthy enough to automatically get bids over him so it should be on merit whether he makes it or not.

He's certainly an immediate upgrade over a few we have currently, but generally speaking, is it more often than not they adjust right away?

With recent acquisitions, and hopefully more to come over the summer, there is at least some optimism anyway.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Under the irresponsible stewardship of Darcy Regier the Swedish Sabre was traded, not drafted, and waived to the brink of extinction. Thanks to careful conservation measures this resilient species has been removed from the endangered Sabres list.

Reactions: Wisent42

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
This will be a nice gust of wind for the sails if confirmed. I didn't think we'd be in the conversation for this guy, but maybe our defensive ineptitude is finally starting to pay some dividends. Yay inadequacy!

My only reservation stems from Housley's handling of Antipin, who strikes me as a similar mold. Of the many Housley criticisms, that's the biggest one for me from a more strategic, rather than tactical, standpoint. The language barrier excuse has never truly flown IMO. I've seen several defensemen succeed who weren't fluent speakers. I've even seen more than one succeed despite being legally deaf. What's the point targeting these types of players if the coach won't play them or at least give them a decent window to sink or swim? And this is even discounting the fact that I liked what I saw from Antipin while deployed.

Time will tell, but adding talent (and shedding no-loads) is this offseason's job #1, and this is a good start to that if true.

Guhle/Nelson would have never gotten the ice time they did if Housley wasn't willing to give guys like that a chance to sink or swim.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
The fan montages on youtube drive me nuts when it's the only video you can find on a player. It's all 'goal oriented'. The only thing I've been able to find on this kid is ozone shooting from pretty stationary positions. He's not afraid to jump into the scoring areas in the ozone, but I was hoping I could see some stuff with him skating/rushing. Nothing.

Reactions: Aladyyn

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The fan montages on youtube drive me nuts when it's the only video you can find on a player. It's all 'goal oriented'. The only thing I've been able to find on this kid is ozone shooting from pretty stationary positions. He's not afraid to jump into the scoring areas in the ozone, but I was hoping I could see some stuff with him skating/rushing. Nothing.

You want some "not that"? How about... HV71 - Linköping HC

On for the first GA, where it looks like Reese (his partner) is in a bit deep. Then the two get split for the breakaway (saved), has to hurry to re-establish position in front at 1:42 of the video (saved), chases his man around behind the net and there isn't enough support in front on another GA at the 2:00 minute mark.

Only one other D-man on HV71 averaged more than 20:00 minutes ToI (Stefan Elliot, right at 20:00), while Pilut was close to 22.

This is the game he got hit high and was taken off with the neck brace on a stretcher - Linköping HC - HV71 Sylvegard was not penalized on the play

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
Guhle/Nelson would have never gotten the ice time they did if Housley wasn't willing to give guys like that a chance to sink or swim.
Neither Guhle nor Nelson are guys like that, namely established European pros like Antipin and Pilut, which was my point. But I’ll address it, just lumping them all together as NHL rookies or near-rooks as that goes to Housley’s usage tendencies.

The G/N examples don’t really address his use, or lack thereof, of Antipin and actually highlights my concern. In fact it makes it even worse since by that measure he is willing to let out some leash, but not with Victor. Why? Caution? Lack of trust? Ease him into the NA game? Language barrier? I don’t buy any of those.

That said, some may feel Antipin, a seasoned pro who seemingly fit snugly into Housley’s preferred style of play, was truly afforded an equal chance to show his wares all things considered. Given that leash if you will. I don’t, considering his ATOI and continuous scratches, but if that is one’s opinion, that Phil handled him as expected, or the thought is Antipin’s play didn’t warrant anything more than he got, then that precludes further discussion. Some feel that way and that’s fine, but my concern stems from liking Antipin’s game and wondering why Phil didn’t agree, or if he did, why he chose so much off time for Victor.

I’d say I don’t think he was given a truly fair shake, and personally I liked his skill set and thought we could’ve used more of it, especially when the season was effectively kaput and Bowl-You was seeing game after game. I’ll make allowances for the illness and late injury, but I’m not happy with Phil’s Antipin usage strategy this year and it’s why I’m cautious WRT Pilut’s potential arrival as he has a similar resume, even if some other rookies are afforded the chance to shine or get shined on. Maybe Phil explained all of this and I just missed it, but I’d love an explanation if Antipin exits and/or Pilut lands here. And to be clear, I’m not part of the pile on Housley brigade, but this was a problem for me this year (among many problems for us all with this team, I know).

Reactions: Chainshot

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Neither Guhle nor Nelson are guys like that, namely established European pros like Antipin and Pilut, which was my point. But I’ll address it, just lumping them all together as NHL rookies or near-rooks as that goes to Housley’s usage tendencies.

The G/N examples don’t really address his use, or lack thereof, of Antipin and actually highlights my concern. In fact it makes it even worse since by that measure he is willing to let out some leash, but not with Victor. Why? Caution? Lack of trust? Ease him into the NA game? Language barrier? I don’t buy any of those.

Housely stated several times why he scratched Antipin and what he wanted to see from him in the lineup. Maybe you didn't see it because of the tidal wave of criticism Housley gets on here. Where stuff he actually says can get lost or ignored. Simply put, he wanted Antipin to play like he did in Russia. Be up in the play , carry the puck out, join the rush, be aggressive, etc. Felt he wasn't doing it enough.

That said, some may feel Antipin, a seasoned pro who seemingly fit snugly into Housley’s preferred style of play, was truly afforded an equal chance to show his wares all things considered. Given that leash if you will. I don’t, considering his ATOI and continuous scratches, but if that is one’s opinion, that Phil handled him as expected, or the thought is Antipin’s play didn’t warrant anything more than he got, then that precludes further discussion. Some feel that way and that’s fine, but my concern stems from liking Antipin’s game and wondering why Phil didn’t agree, or if he did, why he chose so much off time for Victor.

This is a bit much. I pointed out two other rookies, who play similar games, got playing time. That does not translate into me saying Housley handled Antipin perfectly and there is nothing to discuss. Because I don't feel that way.

I’d say I don’t think he was given a truly fair shake, and personally I liked his skill set and thought we could’ve used more of it, especially when the season was effectively kaput and Bowl-You was seeing game after game.

The irony is Housley felt the same way. That we could use more of Antipin's skill set but Phil felt he wasn't bringing it enough. It led to Antipin not getting the "fair shake" you felt he deserved.

I’ll make allowances for the illness and late injury, but I’m not happy with Phil’s Antipin usage strategy this year and it’s why I’m cautious WRT Pilut’s potential arrival as he has a similar resume, even if some other rookies are afforded the chance to shine or get shined on.Maybe Phil explained all of this and I just missed it, but I’d love an explanation if Antipin exits and/or Pilut lands here. And to be clear, I’m not part of the pile on Housley brigade, but this was a problem for me this year (among many problems for us all with this team, I know).

I'm not arguing you have to like how he handled Antipin. I'm saying two other similar skilled rookies got playing time. If we are being honest, the reason why is they did what Housley wanted from Antipin a lot more than Antipin did. Whether thats fair is up to you. But I don't think Antipin being a "established European pro" had anything to do with his playing time. So I don't see his usage as a reason to worry about how Pilut would be used if he comes over.

You mentioned Beaulieu. He started off playing 18-19mins a night in Oct/Nov. Then dropped to 15min in Dec, 14mins in Jan, 16mins in Feb after McCabe left the lineup. Then back to 14-15mins after Guhle came up. He was viewed in a pretty similar light to Antipin after the first couple months. Bottom pairing depth dman who was an occasional healthy scratch. He played in 59gms and averaged 15:57mins a night compared to year to Antipin's 47gms and 15:17mins a night. I think this is missed by some due to the overall general frustration with Beaulieu and Housley.

What I'm getting at is Guhle/Nelson were view by his as doing more of what he wanted them to do and because of that they were trusted a lot more than Antipin or Beaulieu. Its why they got more minutes and stayed in the lineup when they were up.

Last edited:

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Housely stated several times why he scratched Antipin and what he wanted to see from him in the lineup. Maybe you didn't see it because of the tidal wave of criticism Housley gets on here. Where stuff he actually says can get lost or ignored. Simply put, he wanted Antipin to play like he did in Russia. Be up in the play , carry the puck out, join the rush, be aggressive, etc. Felt he wasn't doing it enough.

This is a bit much. I pointed out two other rookies, who play similar games, got playing time. That does not translate into me saying Housley handled Antipin perfectly and there is nothing to discuss. Because I don't feel that way.

The irony is Housley felt the same way. That we could use more of Antipin's skill set but Phil felt he wasn't bringing it enough. It led to Antipin not getting the "fair shake" you felt he deserved.

I'm not arguing you have to like how he handled Antipin. I'm saying two other similar skilled rookies got playing time. If we are being honest, the reason why is they did what Housley wanted from Antipin a lot more than Antipin did. Whether thats fair is up to you. But I don't think Antipin being a "established European pro" had anything to do with his playing time. So I don't see his usage as a reason to worry about how Pilut would be used if he comes over.

You mentioned Beaulieu. He started off playing 18-19mins a night in Oct/Nov. Then dropped to 15min in Dec, 14mins in Jan, 16mins in Feb after McCabe left the lineup. Then back to 14-15mins after Guhle came up. He was viewed in a pretty similar light to Antipin after the first couple months. Bottom pairing depth dman who was an occasional healthy scratch. He played in 59gms and averaged 15:57mins a night compared to year to Antipin's 47gms and 15:17mins a night. I think this is missed by some due to the overall general frustration with Beaulieu and Housley.

What I'm getting at is Guhle/Nelson were view by his as doing more of what he wanted them to do and because of that they were trusted a lot more than Antipin or Beaulieu. Its why they got more minutes and stayed in the lineup when they were up.
Just win Dahlin and let them play together with this kid with Guhle and Nelson/McCabe being the other pair I suppose behind Risto and Scandella. That assumes no major trades which are another possibility. Im not ready to push thr panic button at D if we can get such an Euro pro to sogn here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad