Confirmed with Link: Sabres have signed Lawrence Pilut (LD, HV71)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Botterill sucked and deserved to be fired.

But it wouldn’t surprise me if the Pegulas’ new “three E’s” approach led to this outcome. The difference between Pilut in Rochester on a one-way deal in ROC for 40 games and him there on a two-way deal can buy a lot of upgraded parlor finishes on a family yacht.

Reactions: kirby11

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Ex-Sabres defenseman Lawrence Pilut: 'I did what I felt is best'
During a phone interview with The Buffalo News on Thursday, Pilut declined to divulge details of his conversations with the Sabres’ previous management team, who were among the 22 employees fired by owners Terry and Kim Pegula on June 16. Pilut expressed excitement for his “new adventure” in Russia and said he thought the move was best for his on-ice development.
Multiple sources familiar with the negotiations told The News that previous Sabres management, led by former General Manager Jason Botterill, declined to meet Pilut’s request for a one-way contract, which would pay Pilut the same amount if he was assigned to the AHL’s Rochester Americans. The sources added the Sabres did not present Pilut with a one-way offer until after the KHL deal was complete. Buffalo will retain Pilut’s NHL rights until he turns 27 years old, sources said.

It's worth reading to check out BN's new design lol

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
I see Bryson splitting time next year with Rochester. Also isn't Borgen more a RD? Now instead of having a cost effective LD under contract, we have to trade for one. Or try and find one in free agency.

He wasn't going to be cost effective hence why he took a nice deal in the KHL.

They can't continue to pay these d man all this money to not play. They need to find 6 guys on one way deals and then the guys that come up with injuries are guys on rookie deals.

Bryson
Borgen
Fitzgerald
Samuelsson
Laaksonen

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
He wasn't going to be cost effective hence why he took a nice deal in the KHL.

They can't continue to pay these d man all this money to not play. They need to find 6 guys on one way deals and then the guys that come up with injuries are guys on rookie deals.

Bryson
Borgen
Fitzgerald
Samuelsson
Laaksonen

How much do think Pilut was going to get paid by Buffalo? Giving Pilut a one-way deal would've freed up a spot down in Rochester so that a guy like Fitzgerald, a defenseman that was playing forward just to get playing time, would get back on track of development.

All the guys you listed are at least 2 years away from coming up to Buffalo.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Any chance he comes back and plays in Buffalo? Word is he has an NHL out clause in his contract. Maybe he’s just gonna play in Russia until NHL comes back and then competes for a spot on the roster.

I really believe he was a solid partner for Ristolainen, and if they became a 3rd pair (Dahlin-XXXX 1st pair, YYYY-Jokhiharju 2nd pair).

Or do they possibly trade his rights if he wants to come back to the league but not with Buffalo?

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
How much do think Pilut was going to get paid by Buffalo? Giving Pilut a one-way deal would've freed up a spot down in Rochester so that a guy like Fitzgerald, a defenseman that was playing forward just to get playing time, would get back on track of development.

All the guys you listed are at least 2 years away from coming up to Buffalo.

My guess would be about 1.5 million per year multiyear. Money certainly seems like it was a huge issue for Pilut which tells me he was taking the most money whether it was NHL or KHL. He is probably making about 800k - 1 million a year in Russia, but it is essentially tax free which would make it more than AHL here.

Pilut would come here as 7th d man and just end up sitting in press box so we are paying yet again millions to a guy to watch.

All those guys are not 2 years away from filling in. Borgen can fill in this year. Bryson next in line, and then Fitz. The other 2 can fill in the following year. There needs to be a track for these guys to see NHL time in their second years in AHL and hopefully full NHL duty by the time they are in their 3rd year of entry level deal.

Sabres had terrible asset management and development in previous years.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Botterill sucked and deserved to be fired.

But it wouldn’t surprise me if the Pegulas’ new “three E’s” approach led to this outcome. The difference between Pilut in Rochester on a one-way deal in ROC for 40 games and him there on a two-way deal can buy a lot of upgraded parlor finishes on a family yacht.
Interesting line of thinking but idk. At-worst he was the 7D, and was one of the three best guys on his side.

If he’s projected to 40 games in the A, they’re either doing a bunch of paper transactions when both teams are home to carry 12-6-2, or he got pushed down the depth chart by someone who is almost certainly paid more than the 2-way contract savings.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Any chance he comes back and plays in Buffalo? Word is he has an NHL out clause in his contract. Maybe he’s just gonna play in Russia until NHL comes back and then competes for a spot on the roster.

I really believe he was a solid partner for Ristolainen, and if they became a 3rd pair (Dahlin-XXXX 1st pair, YYYY-Jokhiharju 2nd pair).

Or do they possibly trade his rights if he wants to come back to the league but not with Buffalo?
His KHL contract does not include an NHL out-clause because generally, the KHL contracts do not include a release (out)-clause.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
My guess would be about 1.5 million per year multiyear. Money certainly seems like it was a huge issue for Pilut which tells me he was taking the most money whether it was NHL or KHL. He is probably making about 800k - 1 million a year in Russia, but it is essentially tax free which would make it more than AHL here.

Pilut would come here as 7th d man and just end up sitting in press box so we are paying yet again millions to a guy to watch.

All those guys are not 2 years away from filling in. Borgen can fill in this year. Bryson next in line, and then Fitz. The other 2 can fill in the following year. There needs to be a track for these guys to see NHL time in their second years in AHL and hopefully full NHL duty by the time they are in their 3rd year of entry level deal.

Sabres had terrible asset management and development in previous years.

An increase in 600k apparently doesn't make one cost effective. Did you honestly think that the guy, with SOME NHL experience wouldn't want a raise in his pay?

"Sabres had terrible asset management and development in previous years" - and the best medicine to do that is to rush development of players. Borgen's game is not something you just decide to rush. Hell, McNabb, a guy Borgen's game mostly resembles, was way more productive in the AHL, and still needed 2 additional years in junior, and 4 years in the AHL before he broke out. And that was after being traded to a team with a better track record of developing guys correctly. Buffalo has yet to show they are capable of developing defenseman within their system consistently.

Borgen is not ready for the NHL. His 4 games in 2019 season showed that, and his play in Rochester, though improved, didn't show the necessary jump in his play to warrant any NHL time. Sure, in case of emergency for injury callup purposes he may be able to fill in for the odd game, but he's far from being ready for full-time duty.

Bryson was impressive with his game in Rochester. I would actually put him ahead of Borgen at this point. He's got the offensive game that could be very useful in Buffalo if his game called for it, but I'd personally like to see him round out his defensive game better.

Fitz is a ways in his development unfortunately.

For your "Track" to the NHL, with a properly built team, we should pushing your "goals" for guys a year later. Defenseman on average should be looking for spot duty in their 3rd year in the AHL, and full time duty possibly 4 years in the AHL, IMO.

Reactions: HighPingDrifter

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
He can buy himself out but it’d also require the Sabres to bake whatever that price is into his NHL contract.
You are correct, he can buy-out his KHL contract, but it is not a release/out-clause.

If you are interested in the KHL by-laws, I will quote

Article 32 of KHL LEGAL REGULATIONS
Early termination of the Standard KHL Hockey Player’s Contract at the Hockey Player’s initiative

2.In case of early termination of the Contract at the Hockey Player’s initiative (on his own volition), the Hockey Player shall perform a monetary payment in favor of the Club with which the Contract was terminated, according to the following procedure and in the following amount:

a) if the Hockey Player has not reached by termination of the Contract 29 years, he shall pay the Club 2/3 of the earned remuneration (fee) amount that was not paid for the period remaining till the Contract expiry

4.The Hockey Player shall perform the above-mentioned monetary payment in favor of the Club within two (2) months upon termination of the Contract.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
An increase in 600k apparently doesn't make one cost effective. Did you honestly think that the guy, with SOME NHL experience wouldn't want a raise in his pay?

"Sabres had terrible asset management and development in previous years" - and the best medicine to do that is to rush development of players. Borgen's game is not something you just decide to rush. Hell, McNabb, a guy Borgen's game mostly resembles, was way more productive in the AHL, and still needed 2 additional years in junior, and 4 years in the AHL before he broke out. And that was after being traded to a team with a better track record of developing guys correctly. Buffalo has yet to show they are capable of developing defenseman within their system consistently.

Borgen is not ready for the NHL. His 4 games in 2019 season showed that, and his play in Rochester, though improved, didn't show the necessary jump in his play to warrant any NHL time. Sure, in case of emergency for injury callup purposes he may be able to fill in for the odd game, but he's far from being ready for full-time duty.

Bryson was impressive with his game in Rochester. I would actually put him ahead of Borgen at this point. He's got the offensive game that could be very useful in Buffalo if his game called for it, but I'd personally like to see him round out his defensive game better.

Fitz is a ways in his development unfortunately.

For your "Track" to the NHL, with a properly built team, we should pushing your "goals" for guys a year later. Defenseman on average should be looking for spot duty in their 3rd year in the AHL, and full time duty possibly 4 years in the AHL, IMO.

Did you even read my post? You are arguing about something I said in my post.

My post:

You argumentative response:

Sure, in case of emergency for injury callup purposes he may be able to fill in for the odd game, but he's far from being ready for full-time duty.

So exactly what I said. Get him some games this year to be ready for year 3 full time duty. That should be the trek of every player IMO. By the 3rd year of entry level deal, you better know if that guy can play in the NHL.

You can't compare McNabb and Borgen. One went college route, the other went WHL. Brogen is going to be 24 years old this year. You can't be sitting on these players forever. College players should have different timelines.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Would rather have kept Pilut on a one way and moved McCabe. Would have saved money and improved the team.

A one way contract would have bern fine next year..it would have bern dahlia, Pilut, McCabe.

Could have traded one of the RD for a LD thrn McCabe is 7

Thry Q’d him they still retain his rights till he is 27.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Exactly. I really think Krueger will love Borgen because he knows his game. He isn't like Colin Miller who should be a force as a defensive defenseman, but tries to do too much. Krueger also doesn't seem to like Montour which I think a lot of it is because he isn't sound defensively.

There is a reason why Jokiharju is so well liked. He plays very within himself, defensive focused first.

Joker's biggest asset is his transition game not his defensive game. He's a very heady defenseman moving the puck up the ice with getting himself open for an outlet and passing it up. He's average at best defensively.

Montour was 2nd on the team in TOI where he was counted on for EV, PP, and SH time. He was used all over the ice for Ralph.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Joker's biggest asset is his transition game not his defensive game. He's a very heady defenseman moving the puck up the ice with getting himself open for an outlet and passing it up. He's average at best defensively.

Montour was 2nd on the team in TOI where he was counted on for EV, PP, and SH time. He was used all over the ice for Ralph.

I beg to differ on Joker. His position defensively is excellent. Reminds me of Tallinder.

I seem to recall Montour having to play forward because Ralph wasn't to happy with his defensive play and was going to scratch him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad