Sabres fire Don Granato, hire Lindy Ruff as head coach

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Berube is going to be another Bylasma. IMO, they need someone who knows how to build a program.

Why do you say that? Genuinely asking. The only year I really followed STL closely is the year they won the cup, and that was because Buffalo had their 1st round pick.

But just looking as a casual fan, He didn’t have generational talents in their prime propping up his record like Bylsma did (with Crosby and Malkin). And it seems like he built a winning program in St. Louis.

I worry more about Gallant being a poor fit than Berube.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
At some point which I believe we have arrived at that point, maybe past it now, coaches won't want to sign in BUF and destroy their career and legacy.

If Todd Mac or Burube or evason or woodcroft is available, I don't see any of them seriously considering Buffalo in a strict on ice capacity unless they have no other job option/career prospect and their contract is up. You don't recover from being 3-4 years of Sabres hockey.

NJ should get whoever they want, city and lifestyle plus team wise they're way ahead. It's not a coincidence that OTT and BUF have been struggling to find a legitimate coach. It's either someone that's older like Gallant/Lindy that are fine with ending their careers after or someone getting their 1st shot

good news is there's a lot of options and not that many vacancies from what i can tell so maybe this is the year they snatch a good one.

Reactions: Bone Density

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Hanging your team's success on Devon Levi was always going to be a recipe for disaster. I don't know of many, if any, NCAA, let alone rookie goalies who were able to carry their team into the Playoffs in their first season. Even Roy was 23-18 with a .875 sv% in his rookie season (which they won a Cup), but it helps having 6+ HoF'ers on your team. Buffalo doesn't have any.
Here's the thing, you are right Levi shouldn't have been expected to step in. However, goaltending has nothing to do with how bad this year was. UPL has been a great starter this year.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
He had expectations going into the season but honestly Buffalo was a flawed team. I’m the end they finish outside the bottom 10 and within probably 6-7 points of the PO.

They need better quality vets than EJ, Okposo, Skinner as the veteran presence. Guys who can still contribute at a higher level and won playing at a high level vs be along for the ride.
Maybe a guy like Ryan O'Reilly? ;o)

Just one of those cases where the total is less than the sum of the parts. They have struggled to turn the "loser" attitude that seemed to be embraced in Eichel's draft year.

Have to agree with Quincy with the rot occurring from the head down. They've tried to jump start the process with some bad UFA deals that mostly ended up badly. I honestly hope they get their shyte figured out because the NHL is better with a competitive Sabres team.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
At some point which I believe we have arrived at that point, maybe past it now, coaches won't want to sign in BUF and destroy their career and legacy.

If Todd Mac or Burube or evason or woodcroft is available, I don't see any of them seriously considering Buffalo in a strict on ice capacity unless they have no other job option/career prospect and their contract is up. You don't recover from being 3-4 years of Sabres hockey.

NJ should get whoever they want, city and lifestyle plus team wise they're way ahead. It's not a coincidence that OTT and BUF have been struggling to find a legitimate coach. It's either someone that's older like Gallant/Lindy that are fine with ending their careers after.

good news is there's a lot of options and not that many vacancies from what i can tell so maybe this is the year they snatch a good one.
could be. The organization has deep talent pool. It does need veterans that are the committed to winning types though, I agree with everyone on that. We'll see what they do, I hope they find "the guy" though, because the debt was owed, and Sabres fans have more than paid that price. So here's to hoping they find a decent coach that can push them to the next level of compete, for their fans sake.

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Here's the thing, you are right Levi shouldn't have been expected to step in. However, goaltending has nothing to do with how bad this year was. UPL has been a great starter this year.
Sure...but you lost your season before you started playing him regularly

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
UPL was a .910 this year. Goaltending was fine, good even.
He's right there with the playoff goalies, on a non-playoff team in GAA and save %. The D needs to play better and the offense needs to pick it up. +2 goal differential isn't good enough to make the playoffs. PK wasn't bad but the PP was horrible.
Screenshot_20240416_143035_NHL.jpg
Screenshot_20240416_142750_NHL.jpg
Screenshot_20240416_142750_NHL.jpg

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Of all of those situations, Kruger was the only one who was truly worst in the league. Granato isn’t a BAD coach, he is just not suited for the team that doesn’t already know how to dig deep.

This hasn’t been a bad team for the past two seasons, they have been a team that has lacked somethjng that Granato couldn’t fill. Bylsma wasn’t the worst coach, he just didn’t mesh with the GM. Housley became pretty bad over time. Kruger was dreadful.

Yea I think this is right.

Granato was okay. I think the league adapted to his strategies this year and was not able to readjust. But overall, he did sole good things, but couldn’t get the team to take the next step.

Krueger was absolutely abysmal by any standard. One of the worst coaches of the last 15 years

Housley was okay as well at firsts. But like Granato, seemed to get worst over time as he couldn’t adjust.

Bylsma was a decent, middling coach.

And before that was the tank years. I’d rank them as follow:

Byalma
Granato
Housley
A needle to the eye
Kreuger

Reactions: Strexvale

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010

Granato was okay. I think the league adapted to his strategies this year and was not able to readjust. But overall, he did sole good things, but couldn’t get the team to take the next step.

Krueger was absolutely abysmal by any standard. One of the worst coaches of the last 15 years

Housley was okay as well at firsts. But like Granato, seemed to get worst over time as he couldn’t adjust.

Byalma
Granato
Housley
A needle to the eye
Kreuger
I'll be honest, if Bylsma stayed as the coach of the Sabres, I think they break the drought during the shortened season...

Reactions: Dirty Dog

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008

Curious as to what Oilers fans think how the match would be. We definitely need a coach with a bit more bite. Granato's downfall I think was his tactics and inability to have players ready to go. He was more of a friend than their coach.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Byalma
Granato
Housley
A needle to the eye
Kreuger

I guess Garden Gloves was so bad that everyone just blocked him from memory entirely.

jd1970

Feb 23, 2007
Downtown Buffalo
Hanging your team's success on Devon Levi was always going to be a recipe for disaster. I don't know of many, if any, NCAA, let alone rookie goalies who were able to carry their team into the Playoffs in their first season. Even Roy was 23-18 with a .875 sv% in his rookie season (which they won a Cup), but it helps having 6+ HoF'ers on your team. Buffalo doesn't have any.
Ken Dryden, but that was a million years ago.

Meichel Kane

My Name Is
Jun 6, 2006

NJ should get whoever they want, city and lifestyle plus team wise they're way ahead. It's not a coincidence that OTT and BUF have been struggling to find a legitimate coach. It's either someone that's older like Gallant/Lindy that are fine with ending their careers after or someone getting their 1st shot

Yeah if it's a choice between Buffalo and [insert well-run franchise], you go with not-Buffalo. I think the big names will be patient, but there's only 32 head coach jobs out there, and most open positions you're going to be inheriting some degree of mess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad