Cale Makar enters top 30 all-time playoff points among dmen

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Guy is such a beast. Generational D-man.

He could end his career at the top of the list. Only question mark I have is his durability.

Calm down.

This is an amazingly cool stat though. Impressive for sure!

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Calm down.

I’m higher than Makar than most but even then generational seems like a pretty tame statement at this point.

Hobey Baker, Calder, Norris (will have 4 consecutive nominations after this season and assuredly would have won the Fox Norris if he wasn’t injured), Conn Smythe + cup to go along with being number 3 all time in regular season PPG as well as number 2 all time in playoff ppg and the sample size is large in both. His is probably the best or second best start to a defenceman career of all time, only rivalled by Orr who took a few years to get going (but was younger at the time).

I challenge anyone to watch two playoff series’ of Matthews, Mackinnon, or Draisaitl and then do the same with Makar, most people will come away with the opinion that Makar is the best player of the four.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
With an assist last night he takes sole possession of 30th all-time in playoff points among dmen in just his 5th full season (6th playoff season which is of course what matters in this context).

His assist jumped him ahead of some impressive names like Rob Blake, Brent Burns, Gary Suter, and Alex Pietrangelo.

With at least one more playoff series guaranteed, it's quite conceivable he can jump up to 24th (needs 7 points to tie Dan Boyle). If the Avs go to the finals he has an outside shot at top 20 this year.

Might not be thread worthy but I think it's pretty insane how fast he's moving up the leaderboard.

That’s awesome, also didn’t realize Boyle was that high up there. Sorry, but that’s the most surprising part to me!

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Calm down.

It's borderline because I view generational D-man as players that can put 100 pts in a season on a regular basis and Makar has never done that.

But he is still young and can achieve that status.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
I’m higher than Makar than most but even then generational seems like a pretty tame statement at this point.

Hobey Baker, Calder, Norris (will have 4 consecutive nominations after this season and assuredly would have won the Fox Norris if he wasn’t injured), Conn Smythe + cup to go along with being number 3 all time in regular season PPG as well as number 2 all time in playoff ppg and the sample size is large in both. His is probably the best or second best start to a defenceman career of all time, only rivalled by Orr who took a few years to get going (but was younger at the time).

I challenge anyone to watch two playoff series’ of Matthews, Mackinnon, or Draisaitl and then do the same with Makar, most people will come away with the opinion that Makar is the best player of the four.
Isn't Matthews ranked the #1 playoff performer in the league? I read it on a website.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
It's borderline because I view generational D-man as players that can put 100 pts in a season on a regular basis and Makar has never done that.

But he is still young and can achieve that status.

A generational player on any position should be doing what McDavid's been doing regularly and sweep the awards. Makar's got one season where he's been the best Dman in the league. Never the best player. Erik Karlsson at his peak was closer to a generational Dman than Makar is now since he lapped the field in scoring.

• Haha
Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Isn't Matthews ranked the #1 playoff performer in the league? I read it on a website.
I understand this is not a serious comment but it’s a good exercise for people to do to understand the hype around Makar. You could also just ask Jets, Preds, Blues, Oilers, or Lightning fans which one of Mackinnon or Makar scared them more when playing the Avs, I would bet it is unanimous in favour of Makar.

Getting the cart ahead of the horse here but if he can win a second Conn Smythe he will join Orr in yet another exclusive category of being the only two dmen to win it twice

Reactions: Slurpeelover27

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
Calm down.

I mean, he isn't wrong. He's the best defenseman since Karlsson...arguably better. Last one who was undoubtedly better was Lidstrom who is from a different generation. I do think Makar is a talent you only see once or at most twice in a generation.

Reactions: Summer Rose

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Faber will pass him in a year or two

Also it's inspiring to see the first Caucasian player in the NHL doing so well, when he makes the HOF it will truly be a day to behold in the Caucuses

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
I mean, he isn't wrong. He's the best defenseman since Karlsson...arguably better. Last one who was undoubtedly better was Lidstrom who is from a different generation. I do think Makar is a talent you only see once or at most twice in a generation.

I totally agree about him being the best since Karlsson. But you don't just slap the generational tag on someone because they happen to be the best Dman in the league. A generational player is so much more. Again, look what McDavid's done so far. That's a generational player. Makar gotta stand out more against his peers to be considered generational.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
A generational player on any position should be doing what McDavid's been doing regularly and sweep the awards. Makar's got one season where he's been the best Dman in the league. Never the best player. Erik Karlsson at his peak was closer to a generational Dman than Makar is now since he lapped the field in scoring.

I'd argue he's been the best defenseman in the league over the last 4 seasons, and injuries have been why he hasn't won the Norris. If he's healthy in 2020-21 and doesn't miss 11 games, he wins over Fox, no question. If he doesn't miss 22 games last year and finishes with 90+ points, there's a chance he wins it despite Karlsson scoring 101. He also put up the best PPG rate this season, but missed 5 games so Hughes finished with 2 more points. Without the injuries, that's plausibly 4 straight Norris wins, to go with the Conn Smythe and Cup.

He's also 0.12 PPG ahead of the 2nd best D over the last 4 years combined. Over the same period, McDavid is 0.19 PPG ahead of the 2nd best F. I'd say that's pretty similar domination over multiple years.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
I'd argue he's been the best defenseman in the league over the last 4 seasons, and injuries have been why he hasn't won the Norris. If he's healthy in 2020-21 and doesn't miss 11 games, he wins over Fox, no question. If he doesn't miss 22 games last year and finishes with 90+ points, there's a chance he wins it despite Karlsson scoring 101. He also put up the best PPG rate this season, but missed 5 games so Hughes finished with 2 more points. Without the injuries, that's plausibly 4 straight Norris wins, to go with the Conn Smythe and Cup.

He's also 0.12 PPG ahead of the 2nd best D over the last 4 years combined. Over the same period, McDavid is 0.19 PPG ahead of the 2nd best F. I'd say that's pretty similar domination over multiple years.

And yet one sits there with his one Norris while the other got 5 Art Ross, 4 Lindsay, 3 Hart, and a Rocket. And he should've probably had more without voter fatigue. Kind of what generational players do though. Makar maybe could've had more without the injuries, but he doesn't.

Again, Makar is great! Best Dman in the league and probably top 3 among players I would want to start a franchise with. He's gonna have to start crushing his opponents if he wanna be a generational Dman though. Can't put up seasons like this one where he's replacement level without his superstar center on the ice and gotta start being healthy.

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
I totally agree about him being the best since Karlsson. But you don't just slap the generational tag on someone because they happen to be the best Dman in the league. A generational player is so much more. Again, look what McDavid's done so far. That's a generational player. Makar gotta stand out more against his peers to be considered generational.
McDavid is in the upper echelon of generational players. There are levels to this. I would argue Coffey was also a generational player, but he sure was hell no Bobby Orr, another generational player.

I do understand your point though. If Makar crashes and burns and just becomes an average defenseman from next season and onwards, the generational label will have been premature. However, if his career follows a normal trajectory, he has a shot of finishing very high in all-time defensemen rankings.

I wouldn't call him a generational player just yet, but his talent is most definitely generational. Now whether or not the rest of his career plays out like a defenseman you only see once in a generation (every 20 years for me) remains to be seen.

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad