Ryan Tesink Trade

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
The problem here is that Tesink played 6 games for his new team before there was a problem.

But what I'm wondering is if he was hurt prior, Saint John didn't know and traded him in good faith, than after 6 games they realized there was a bigger issue. If teams don't do their own physicals it could happen.

Saint John didn't realize.
BB didn't conduct a physical.

League awards some compensation that doesn't come from Saint John.
I just can't get over that it's the 5th overall.

ClemQ

Jun 14, 2012
But what I'm wondering is if he was hurt prior, Saint John didn't know and traded him in good faith, than after 6 games they realized there was a bigger issue. If teams don't do their own physicals it could happen.

Saint John didn't realize.
BB didn't conduct a physical.

League awards some compensation that doesn't come from Saint John.
I just can't get over that it's the 5th overall.

again - my point is that this decision essentially takes all the risk away from the team acquiring players. Should it not be their responsibility to do due diligence? And, Yes, he was injured prior. However, he had returned to the line up. Playing well enough to play 6 games and actually was first star in one of those games.

It's a complete farce.

JohnnyB11

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, NB
again - my point is that this decision essentially takes all the risk away from the team acquiring players. Should it not be their responsibility to do due diligence? And, Yes, he was injured prior. However, he had returned to the line up. Playing well enough to play 6 games and actually was first star in one of those games.

It's a complete farce.

Don't mean to nitpick, but he was first star in two of those games, not just one.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
There HAS to be something we don't know about this. My best guess is the following: BB asked SJ if Tesink was OK, they said yes. So BB played Tesink, who actually had a nagging injury but did not tell anybody. He played 6 games, but then started complaining about being hurt. So BB doctors examined him, and became aware that he had an injury that had never been healed before, but had been bothering him for a long time.

The kicker here is that BB didn't give up just a 6th round pick to get Tesink. They gave up the 3rd OVERALL pick in the draft. Which is a pretty big fricking deal... So when they became aware of this situation, they complained to Courteau... I mean why not? In this given situation, they'd be stupid not to try something with the league in order to get compensation...

That's my best guess and at least this would make some sense...

JohnnyB11

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, NB
There HAS to be something we don't know about this. My best guess is the following: BB asked SJ if Tesink was OK, they said yes. So BB played Tesink, who actually had a nagging injury but did not tell anybody. He played 6 games, but then started complaining about being hurt. So BB doctors examined him, and became aware that he had an injury that had never been healed before, but had been bothering him for a long time.

The kicker here is that BB didn't give up just a 6th round pick to get Tesink. They gave up the 3rd OVERALL pick in the draft. Which is a pretty big fricking deal... So when they became aware of this situation, they complained to Courteau... I mean why not? In this given situation, they'd be stupid not to try something with the league in order to get compensation...

That's my best guess and at least this would make some sense...

There IS no sense in the facts that:

- no wrongdoing found on SJs part
- Tesink played every game for SJ except for suspension, and looked great in the process
- Tesink played 6 games for his new team, being named first star in two of them
- Then he is injured.
- BB keeps Tesink and is awarded a 5th overall pick next year, for no apparent reason.

How this league can get away with these shenanigans is beyond me. :shakehead

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
There IS no sense in the facts that:

- no wrongdoing found on SJs part
- Tesink played every game for SJ except for suspension, and looked great in the process
- Tesink played 6 games for his new team, being named first star in two of them
- Then he is injured.
- BB keeps Tesink and is awarded a 5th overall pick next year, for no apparent reason.

How this league can get away with these shenanigans is beyond me. :shakehead

To me it starts and ends with the medical test. If you read between the lines of what Bouchard said after the decision, there will be changes, and the medical checkup will be forced.

The league had a problem there, and it's the league that compensated the Armada, not Saint-John. In French we say, a bad for a good (un mal pour un bien).

JohnnyB11

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, NB
To me it starts and ends with the medical test. If you read between the lines of what Bouchard said after the decision, there will be changes, and the medical checkup will be forced.

The league had a problem there, and it's the league that compensated the Armada, not Saint-John. In French we say, a bad for a good (un mal pour un bien).

I realize SJ didn't compensate BB. IF it is as you suspect, I have no idea why the league would legitimately compensate BB (with a 5th overall pick no less, but that's a whole other issue). If the league will force a medical exam as a result, fine. But with this transaction, if BB didn't see fit to conduct a medical then why does the league compensate?? That responsibility should fall on BB and Joel Bouchard, NOT the league.

It really should be a question of did SJ knowingly lie or withhold info re: Tesink's health. ALL indications of his performance prior to and immediately after the trade, including the league statement, says that this wasn't the case. Therefore the result should be NO compensation. If the league wishes to change a rule so as to more readily avoid this in the future, so be it. But to create this kind of exception is bogus.

I know that may be a tough pill for BB fan to swallow, but tat's what would have been fair. The league decision now does two things - adds to it's already dubious reputation, and lends more believeability to the idea that there is favoritism shown by the league towards Quebec based teams (which further tarnishes the reputation). Rightly or wrongly so, that's what this ruling does.

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
That just made a complete farce of this league if it wasnt already. What a *** joke....
RN might as well appeal the Patrice cormier trade from a few years ago....they could argue that Rimouski knew he was going to make a stupid hit since he had done so at the world juniors.

Trading will never be the same in the league.

Remember when Luc Bourdon broke his ankle after only a few games being traded from Val d'Or in 2006? The Wildcats could sure use a first round pick right now :laugh:

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
I realize SJ didn't compensate BB. IF it is as you suspect, I have no idea why the league would legitimately compensate BB (with a 5th overall pick no less, but that's a whole other issue). If the league will force a medical exam as a result, fine. But with this transaction, if BB didn't see fit to conduct a medical then why does the league compensate?? That responsibility should fall on BB and Joel Bouchard, NOT the league.

It really should be a question of did SJ knowingly lie or withhold info re: Tesink's health. ALL indications of his performance prior to and immediately after the trade, including the league statement, says that this wasn't the case. Therefore the result should be NO compensation. If the league wishes to change a rule so as to more readily avoid this in the future, so be it. But to create this kind of exception is bogus.

I know that may be a tough pill for BB fan to swallow, but tat's what would have been fair. The league decision now does two things - adds to it's already dubious reputation, and lends more believeability to the idea that there is favoritism shown by the league towards Quebec based teams (which further tarnishes the reputation). Rightly or wrongly so, that's what this ruling does.

With the info we currently have, I sure find it ridiculous that my team was awarded such a high draft pick as a compensation. I was laughing my ass off when I learned that news. But as I said in my post, there is obviously things we don't know. How often do we see players playing even if they are injured? It happens a lot. As I said, my guess is that Tesink was playing through a nagging injury and thought nothing of it. Lots of players play through pain. Yet when BB doctors got a hold of him after 6 games with the Armada, they obviously didn't think it was nothing... could have been a very nasty injury that Tesink himself was hiding.

It obviously isnt SJ's fault (and as you know they didnt send any compensation to BB either). But the fact BB payed such a high prize (3rd overall pick) for a player that was (presumably) playing through an injury nobody knew about probably had the league looking really hard into this.

JohnnyB11

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, NB
With the info we currently have, I sure find it ridiculous that my team was awarded such a high draft pick as a compensation. I was laughing my ass off when I learned that news. But as I said in my post, there is obviously things we don't know. How often do we see players playing even if they are injured? It happens a lot. As I said, my guess is that Tesink was playing through a nagging injury and thought nothing of it. Lots of players play through pain. Yet when BB doctors got a hold of him after 6 games with the Armada, they obviously didn't think it was nothing... could have been a very nasty injury that Tesink himself was hiding.

It obviously isnt SJ's fault (and as you know they didnt send any compensation to BB either). But the fact BB payed such a high prize (3rd overall pick) for a player that was (presumably) playing through an injury nobody knew about probably had the league looking really hard into this.

And therein lies my problem. If BB docs decided to examine Tesink after 6 games with the team (Tesink's 6th game with the club was Jan 13, a full 10 days after his first game with the Armada where he was named first star of the game) there's absolutely no reason why the league should be compensating the Armada. Tesink missed significant time last season with a knee injury, this was absolutely no secret, but he returned and played the entire playoff run and Memorial Cup. This season he was a regular on the top line and was playing great on a team stripped of much of it's President's-Cup-winning-talent. The fact that BB supposedly didn't get some testing done on Tesink's knee until 10 days and 6 games into his tenure with the Armada falls on THEM. I know I didn't suspect anything wrong with him, and apparently BB didn't either. But it should be - 'Lesson Learned', not compensation for not having done due diligence.

And I still don't know why all the supposition is that he was somehow already injured before he joined the team - why is it so hard to believe that during any one of those 6 games with the Armada he re-injured himself or sustained a new injury of some sort? If that was the case, why should any compensation be awarded?

Anyhow, it's done and once again people are rolling their eyes and shaking their heads. And rightly so. Having said that, if I were an Armada fan I too would be wearing a smile on this one. Joel Bouchard seemed to add a significant asset out of thin air.

Last edited:

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
And therein lies my problem. If BB docs decided to examine Tesink after 6 games with the team (Tesink's 6th game with the club was Jan 13, a full 10 days after his first game with the Armada where he was named first star of the game) there's absolutely no reason why the league should be compensating the Armada. Tesink missed significant time last season with a knee injury, this was absolutely no secret, but he returned and played the entire playoff run and Memorial Cup. This season he was a regular on the top line and was playing great on a team stripped of much of it's President's-Cup-winning-talent. The fact that BB supposedly didn't get some testing done on Tesink's knee until 10 days and 6 games into his tenure with the Armada falls on THEM. I know I didn't suspect anything wrong with him, and apparently BB didn't either. But it should be - 'Lesson Learned', not compensation for not having done due diligence.

And I still don't know why all the supposition is that he was somehow already injured before he joined the team - why is it so hard to believe that during any one of those 6 games with the Armada he re-injured himself or sustained a new injury of some sort? If that was the case, why should any compensation be awarded?

Anyhow, it's done and once again people are rolling their eyes and shaking their heads. And rightly so. Having said that, if I were an Armada fan I too would be wearing a smile on this one. Joel Bouchard seemed to add a significant asset out of thin air.

He only played 4 playoff games but I do agree with what you are saying.

JohnnyB11

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, NB
He only played 4 playoff games but I do agree with what you are saying.

Sorry, I'm talking about the 2011-12 season, when he missed half a season or so with his injury, but then came back for the entire playoffs (17 games) and Memorial Cup. THEN played the full season in 2012-13 up until 6 games in with the Armada.

Wasn't clear. Sorry.

Last edited:

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Sorry, I'm talking about the 2011-12 season, when he missed half a season or so with his injury, but then came back for the entire playoffs (17 games) and Memorial Cup. THEN played the full season in 2012-13 up until 6 games in with the Armada.

Wasn't clear. Sorry.

Either way not a big deal. I should have clued in when you mention Mem Cup in the same sentence.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal

If that wasnt the case there wouldnt have been any compensation...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad