Injury Report: Ryan Suter (Lower-Body Injury, Out for Season)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Maybe you have to have played D to understand how hard it is to do some of the things he does, and how effortlessly he makes it look. Agree on the strength. He almost never blows up people, but quietly and efficiently rubs them out of the play, all the while staying in position to make another play immediately after.

Eye Floater

Feb 3, 2009
USA
Maybe you have to have played D to understand how hard it is to do some of the things he does, and how effortlessly he makes it look. Agree on the strength. He almost never blows up people, but quietly and efficiently rubs them out of the play, all the while staying in position to make another play immediately after.

As a former defenseman, you're absolutely right. The subtle little things he does to evade forecheckers and pressure and to create space and time for himself are ridiculous, and he makes it look effortless. Most defensemen can't even think to do half of the things he does.

We are very very lucky to have him, and I would take him over those pure offensive guys like Karlsson, Burns, and Subban 100 times out of 100. His only real weakness is his shot. He's our best player by far, IMO.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

He plays like Lidstrom and even at the ASG he said meeting him with his kids was the best part of the trip. I grew up idolizing Lidstrom and I can tell you when you watch them play side by side in the D zone it's uncanny. Plus that outlet pass is incredible.

The lack of physical prowess is nothing. He doesn't have it eat at his energy and can play solid when many others can't. This is why Lidstrom played opposite some of the hardest hitting Dmen on Detroits roster. They did the dirty work so he could be a ninja

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Wow, it still astounds me how many people underrate Suter's game on the main board!

Doesn't surprise me. Most teams' fans see him 2 or 3 times a year vs their team, maybe they catch a nationally syndicated game or two with him.

Nothing about him is sexy/flashy, and a lot of his game is little things that are easily missed.

It is Wild World

Dec 28, 2016
Somalia
Suter is underrated because of his on ice personality and playing style. He is not flashy offensive weapon like Karlsson or man beast Burns who is also offensively gifted and has that incredible beard to go along with. Then you have a Wisconsin farm boy who is reserved and well mannered even against his opponents. He plays the game so effortlessly it is almost boring to watch. He gets the job done and is huge factor as to why we are consistently among the best defensive teams in the league

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Suter is worth his paycheck. Parise, not so much.

It was painfully obvious the day they signed those contracts that that would be the case sooner rather than later. Admittedly I didn't think it would be this soon.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Well, the good thing is, Suter is worth his paycheck and part of Parise's too. When you look at it like that, the pain of Parise's paycheck is lessened. We have Suter because we have Parise.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
I always hated Suter's usage under Yeo. It seemed so forced having him quarterback the powerplay constantly, and playing the half the game. Obviously he is still getting a bunch of PP time but I rarely find myself cursing at the television over and over again like the last few seasons. The teams PP strategy seems so much better than it used to be, whether that is just a microcosim of the whole team seemingly having career years I don't know, but hell I'm loving it. Coach Boudreau has had such a positive impact on this roster, it is incredible. Suter has been playing his game per usual, but I still wish he was more of a threat to shoot.

space321

May 11, 2011

I feel Zach still has a couple 30g 30a seasons in him if he can stay healthy. For the whole last year he was on and off injured, especially that "hip check" by James Neal which put him out of the playoffs.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I feel Zach still has a couple 30g 30a seasons in him if he can stay healthy. For the whole last year he was on and off injured, especially that "hip check" by James Neal which put him out of the playoffs.

I feel the same way, but do worry about his fragility. He seems to get injuries every year.

I am hoping that Suter gets even more reduced TOI when Brodin gets back.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Honestly if my boy is done for this year we might as well pack it in. Outside of maybe Dubnyk I don't know if there's a more critical piece to the team.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Honestly if my boy is done for this year we might as well pack it in. Outside of maybe Dubnyk I don't know if there's a more critical piece to the team.
Yep, should just give up. Might as well not even show up to the games.

*rolls eyes*

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
It's time for Brodin and Dumba to show what they can do, but hell, they just need some warm bodies back on D.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
If Suter is out it's really a much bigger deal than Parise being out come playoffs. The Wild will lose any series with him out. Especially against the Jets. I'm not even dramatizing, it's kind of just ...that's how it is...I can't believe it. I didn't get to see the game until the 3rd period and then the first words I hear are "with Suter out..."

Reactions: Northerner

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Even a high ankle sprain can cause a player to miss a month.
Oh, I know. They can linger for a long time. You can sort of play with them, but it makes you less effective...can't push off, or do much of anything.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Wait and see is about all we can do right now.

On a side note. Hard to believe the Suter thread is only a couple pages long and it was started in 2014. :huh:

Reactions: Northerner

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Wait and see is about all we can do right now.

On a side note. Hard to believe the Suter thread is only a couple pages long and it was started in 2014. :huh:
He's a steady no-frills D-man that just goes about his work, and does that work VERY well. Not much to discuss other than the PP discussions that come up most of the time on his frustrating tendency to slow things down at the worst time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad