Player Discussion Ryan Strome

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Heres a question.

Where do you put him when he comes back? He's so limited in his ability that I don't know the answer to that.

I guess the easy answer is to put him back on Panarins line and keep Copp there. I don't love the idea of a "kid" 3rd line, but it does spread out the "wealth" a bit more.
I mean, isn’t it pretty obvious? Hunt on the second line is a joke. He replaces Hunt and Copp moves to wing.

The bigger question occurs when Kakko returns…

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Heres a question.

Where do you put him when he comes back? He's so limited in his ability that I don't know the answer to that.

I guess the easy answer is to put him back on Panarins line and keep Copp there. I don't love the idea of a "kid" 3rd line, but it does spread out the "wealth" a bit more.
Kreider-Zib-Vatrano
Panarin-Copp-Kakko
Laf-Strome-Chytil
Motte-Goodrow-Hunt/Brodzinski/Rooney

Reactions: Chaels Arms

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
Kreider-Zib-Vatrano
Panarin-Copp-Kakko
Laf-Strome-Chytil
Motte-Goodrow-Hunt/Brodzinski/Rooney
Chtyil has been too good in his own zone lately so I'm not sure GG would want to make that third line weaker defensively.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Chtyil has been too good in his own zone lately so I'm not sure GG would want to make that third line weaker defensively.
Strome and Panarin both played better and more responsibly away from each other. They’re just a toxic relationship that brings out the worst parts of each

Reactions: Chaels Arms

shnagle

Apr 27, 2003
NYC
Visit site
I think even Panarin is ready to breakup with Strome. His quote from Mollie Walker's article in the Post today. "Copper made a good pass, and then I was surprised when I [lifted] my head I [saw] him backdoor,” Panarin said after the win. “He has good speed, which is nice.” 😂

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
Strome and Panarin both played better and more responsibly away from each other. They’re just a toxic relationship that brings out the worst parts of each
I think the only way to avoid the Panarin Strome combo is if Panarin moves up with Mika. I highly doubt we'll ever see Strome on the third line.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Easiest place for Strome to be is in the pressbox, but Gallant would never be able to get away with that.

Get Kakko back, play him in Hunt's spot. Hunt to the 4th line with Motte on the wings and either Rooney or Brodzinski as the 4C.

All I know is that he should not be re-signed under any circumstance.

JC704

Jan 6, 2012
Ideally, I'd like to see the front office re-sign both Ryan Strome and Andrew Copp. The organization is still deeper on the wings and the blueline, and I think those vacancies on the wings are always much easier to fill.

Would like to see Strome sign between $5-6 million AAV on a 4 or 5-year contract to take him through the end of his prime years with Panarin. Copp I think would likely cost between $4.5-5.25 million AAV, similar term. Long term, both won't be able to stay because of the salary cap, but for the short term (next year or so), I think having both players around dramatically increases their chances to make a Stanley Cup run.

To create the cap space, they can move/bury Georgiev (replacing him with a cheaper veteran), trade Nemeth in the offseason, or move a player like Chytil at the Draft. My intention with Strome is to strike while the iron is hot here, and then move him down the line in a similar way Brassard was. Strome has proven his early years are behind and him, and that he has improved and rounded his game to the point where he can be a 2nd line center on a good team and a really good middle-six player overall.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
... can we get like a 5th rd pick for Strome's short UFA re-negotiation time? Is that still a thing?

I can't see us even trying to re-sign Strome. So it's straight to UFA.

Sucks to see him go for free. The value addition from Spooner to Strome is astronomical.

Wish we would have cashed on it, but it is what it is. Team is deeper for it and the playoffs.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Ideally, I'd like to see the front office re-sign both Ryan Strome and Andrew Copp. The organization is still deeper on the wings and the blueline, and I think those vacancies on the wings are always much easier to fill.

Would like to see Strome sign between $5-6 million AAV on a 4 or 5-year contract to take him through the end of his prime years with Panarin. Copp I think would likely cost between $4.5-5.25 million AAV, similar term. Long term, both won't be able to stay because of the salary cap, but for the short term (next year or so), I think having both players around dramatically increases their chances to make a Stanley Cup run.

To create the cap space, they can move/bury Georgiev (replacing him with a cheaper veteran), trade Nemeth in the offseason, or move a player like Chytil at the Draft. My intention with Strome is to strike while the iron is hot here, and then move him down the line in a similar way Brassard was. Strome has proven his early years are behind and him, and that he has improved and rounded his game to the point where he can be a 2nd line center on a good team and a really good middle-six player overall.
There is literally zero way we can sign both. We don’t have the cap room, even with moving the 3 players you suggest. Strome is gone.

Reactions: Fitzy

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
... can we get like a 5th rd pick for Strome's short UFA re-negotiation time? Is that still a thing?

I can't see us even trying to re-sign Strome. So it's straight to UFA.

Sucks to see him go for free. The value addition from Spooner to Strome is astronomical.

Wish we would have cashed on it, but it is what it is. Team is deeper for it and the playoffs.
He didn’t really go for free, we got a lot of very productive seasons out of him.

There’s no harm in ducking what could be a very risky UFA contract.

excaliber

Mar 30, 2018
I don't get all the hate for Strome here yet all the love for Chytil? All I keep hearing for the last couple years is Strome is leaving, he needs to go yet he's still here and the most productive linemate for Panarin. Panarin has got the short end of the stick with the second line.

It's nice to have a pretty loaded roster with the new acquisitions but I don't see a replacement for Strome.

Be careful what you ask for.

Reactions: Rangers ftw

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
Notwithstanding the goal last night, my gut feeling (not backed up by anything yet) is that Strome might be more important to PP1 than we thought, even if he isn't getting as many touches in the bumper spot.

Our gameplan on the PP is pretty well established. Get the puck to Zibanejad for a one-timer. Lately, the passing lanes from Panarin or Fox to Zibanejad just have not been there. Strome might be better than Copp at drawing attention in the slot to open up those lanes. If we start to see the connections from Fox or Panarin to Zibanejad over the next few games, it would support my feeling.

Also, the goal he scored is pretty important. It looked like the RD was slow to get over to Strome because he was cheating toward Zibanejad. If a few more of those goals go in, it is harder to the PK to take away Zibanejad's one-timer.

Reactions: nyaz11

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Notwithstanding the goal last night, my gut feeling (not backed up by anything yet) is that Strome might be more important to PP1 than we thought, even if he isn't getting as many touches in the bumper spot.

Our gameplan on the PP is pretty well established. Get the puck to Zibanejad for a one-timer. Lately, the passing lanes from Panarin or Fox to Zibanejad just have not been there. Strome might be better than Copp at drawing attention in the slot to open up those lanes. If we start to see the connections from Fox or Panarin to Zibanejad over the next few games, it would support my feeling.

Also, the goal he scored is pretty important. It looked like the RD was slow to get over to Strome because he was cheating toward Zibanejad. If a few more of those goals go in, it is harder to the PK to take away Zibanejad's one-timer.
Yup good post. Also someone else mentioned this, Strome is great on the PP at when to hold the puck along the boards with pressure and wait for the PK to move off, and when to do a quick little pass to Fox or when to whip it around. Very underrated skill and so important to get our PP off and running.

Reactions: excaliber

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Coaches must really love this guy. Copp can’t even get pp1 time over him. Someone who could actually win an important face off.

Reactions: tlk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad