Proposal: Ryan Strome UFA

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
How would you feel about the Leafs acquiring Ryan Strome via Free Agency?

Strome cannot drive a line by himself and he knows this. However, he has found success when playing with skilled players that can compliment his style of play. I would compare him to a Chandler Stephenson in that he can be a good accessory for star players. Because of this, the price to sign him would be relatively cheap but I think we can get great value from him if he plays with Matthews or Tavares. I suspect something around a $5M AAV. Strome is also from Mississauga so maybe he takes a hometown discount.

If we can acquire a good player for free, we can afford to trade another good player to address weaknesses in our lineup. The obvious one is goaltending. I'll leave any proposals out of this but I know we're all thinking of the same player.

Yay or nay to this plan?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Great kid but way down priority list my friend .. it starts in net 1st and then we have to nail down Rielly's partner in a trade with Coyotes .. after we have backend figured out there will be nothing left to do much upfront .. and quite frankly that is not where any issues reside

Reactions: Racer88

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
How would you feel about the Leafs acquiring Ryan Strome via Free Agency?

Strome cannot drive a line by himself and he knows this. However, he has found success when playing with skilled players that can compliment his style of play. I would compare him to a Chandler Stephenson in that he can be a good accessory for star players. Because of this, the price to sign him would be relatively cheap but I think we can get great value from him if he plays with Matthews or Tavares. I suspect something around a $5M AAV. Strome is also from Mississauga so maybe he takes a hometown discount.

If we can acquire a good player for free, we can afford to trade another good player to address weaknesses in our lineup. The obvious one is goaltending. I'll leave any proposals out of this but I know we're all thinking of the same player.

Yay or nay to this plan?
No. Slow as they get, doesn't use his size, and doesn't drive anything on his own. Too many other priorities.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Gaudreau, Malkin, Bergeron, Kadri, Forsberg, Kane, Giroux, Perron, Trocheck, Marchment, Nichushkin, Domi, Palat, Niederrieter, Rakell

I have most of this list ahead of him. But, I think he'd be a fine addition.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
It doesn't appear to make for the greatest fit. A $5M forward isn't a pressing need for the team or the best use of that cap space. The signing also doesn't particularly help the cap situation since the player traded away to make room for Strome probably accounts for less by comparison.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Gaudreau, Malkin, Bergeron, Kadri, Forsberg, Kane, Giroux, Perron, Trocheck, Marchment, Nichushkin, Domi, Palat, Niederrieter, Rakell

Probably all out of our price range or not the type of player Dubas would target.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Would his style mesh with Tavares?

I don't think he'd be willing to sign what the Leafs could offer.
Rangers fan coming in (saw this thread in the recent threads on main page)

Yes he meshes with Tavares, in Strome’s rookie season he played on Tavares’ RW with NYI and put up 50 points. They have good chemistry, play at each other’s pace, and compliment each other well.

I don’t think his style meshes with the Leafs unless you keep him at Tavares’ RW. He’s pretty slow, not aggressive on the forecheck, but is a good playmaker and has good hockey/offensive IQ. Defense is not good, faceoffs are not good, he can take dumb penalties as well but those have slowed down over the past few seasons.

I’m pretty confident he can be a 45-55 point guy still with the right usage away from Panarin. I do know he’s over PPG without Panarin, off the top of my head I believe he has around 15 points in 12 or so games without Breadman.

He’s a solid player that can fill in at 2C and does exceptionally well with players as good as him or better. He’s complimentary though, don’t expect any line driving. His main form of offense is through great positioning.

If I’m the Leafs I don’t pursue. I expect him to get around 5 million per on his next contract for about 3 years. I think that’s *fair* but we’ll see what he gets. Don’t think Leaf’s can afford him and I don’t think they should try to

He is a great leader off the ice though I will say. Very outgoing and positive. Needs to shoot way more, he actually has a nice shot but he differs to Panarin a lot (rightfully so)

Reactions: ULF_55

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I think next season is the time to move Tavares to the wing, so I can see the logic, but Strome's cap hit is going to be too high for us.

Reactions: ULF_55

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006

Crap...didn't realize how deep and strong the free agent pool is this year.

I know it's said practically every year, and that most guys generally re-up with their current team before making it to free agency. But with it only being a month away, I'd have figured some of these longer tenured players would have re-signed by now (Malkin in particular, along with Gaudreau, Forsberg and Kane; I'd say Bergeron most definitely too, but seems like retirement is a distinct possibility with him).

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
need to go out and get heavy guys for the bottom 6 - guys like paul, copp, crouse etc. And most importantly figure out wtf is going on in net.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
wouldn’t mind if we signed both Strome brothers.

But I think Copp, Perron, Marchment, Rakell would be my top targets

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I wouldn't mind him but the money has to work and it only makes sense if both Willie and Kerf are gone which I don't expect to happen. There are some other pretty good UFA options as Magic Man pointed out but almost all of them are unaffordable unless they move Willie or Mrazek to make space for a goalie at the same time. I don't think KD will be in the hunt for heavy guys, unless we are talking about guys that play heavier than Mik or Engvall. A dark horse might be Domi who's value is at an all time low but he is tough rather than a hitter so does he change the way they can play? I do think moving Willie for value and signing one of these UFAs for less than $6.9 could be a big win for the club, because once Gaudreau and Forsberg are signed he becomes a lot more valuable.

Reactions: EK392000

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad