Player Discussion Ryan Smyth

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
My thoughts are that by the mere fact of existence somebody will hate you. Some will love you.

This is such a nothing story. Basically of somebody hating somebody else. I like Ryan Smyth more than some tosser seething over one thing that allegedly happened.
Hence why I thought it was funny:thumbu:

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I found this to be funny and thought it could deserve its own thread but not offended if a Mod removes it.

Thoughts……….

"F*ckin' nerd:" Ex-NHL defenceman not a big fan of Oilers' Ryan Smyth | Offside

That is too funny, thanks for sharing! Love when guys share these stories, as silly and jacked up as some of them may be. To be taken with a grain of salt always. For what it's worth, I said back in the day that the title "Captain Canada" was more like an insult than the bestowing of some revered crown for the very reasons that the guy stated.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
To each their own of course, but I’ll never get the interest people have in listening to these type of washout blowhards who try and start up podcasts once they flame out of the league.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
If Smytty likes to go up to refs to secure his points he would fit in well on my beer league team.

But isn't this the NHL? I'm pretty sure goals/points aren't awarded by the ref on the ice. Maybe they are initially but each goal is reviewed to ensure that the points are properly handed out. That would've been straightened out even if Smyth doesn't say anything.

The more shocking thing about this video is that Scottie Upshall says he didn't like Smyth. That's almost sacrilegious for a northern Albertan boy that grew up in the 90s.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Upshall and OBrien. One podcast I don’t listen to. Not a big fan of Ryan but he isn’t a bad guy.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Never heard of shane obrien in my life. Upshall I know.

Journeyman defenseman and goon who primarily played for the Lightning and Canucks among others during the mid-2000's and early 2010's. 537 NHL games to his name (which is 537 more than I've ever played).

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Never heard of shane obrien in my life. Upshall I know.
I think he played for Canucks at some point. Desharnais type. Cross-checking Smyth in front of the net is probably the pinnacle of his career))))

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
conor-mc-gregor-who-the-fook-is-that-guy.gif

Who the f*** is Shane O'Brien? Lmao.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Shane O'Brien: 40 career playoff games over 9 seasons
Ryan Smyth: 93 career playoff games over 19 seasons

Even simply averaging this out, Smyth had a higher per season playoff game total than that jabrony.

I think he played for Canucks at some point. Desharnais type. Cross-checking Smyth in front of the net is probably the pinnacle of his career))))
The Flames too lol, no wonder that clown hates Smyth and the Oilers.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Smyth was always a massive goal suck, it's why he was the player he was. He wasn't just competing to get to the puck before the opposing team, but he was also blatantly competing against his own teammates. I remember many goals where he would put in maximum effort to get his stick on a puck that was just about to cross the line with or without him, just so he could get the last touch before it would go in the net.

Without that obsessive/narcissistic/selfish/whatever need to always be the guy that gets the goal, I doubt he would have the career he did. I can totally see why some of his former opponents and teammates would hate him for that mentality, but guy could barely shoot the puck and somehow was one of the better goalscorers in the NHL for 15 years, he was doing something right :laugh:

Reactions: Mack a doodle doo

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Smyth was always a massive goal suck, it's why he was the player he was. He wasn't just competing to get to the puck before the opposing team, but he was also blatantly competing against his own teammates. I remember many goals where he would put in maximum effort to get his stick on a puck that was just about to cross the line with or without him, just so he could get the last touch before it would go in the net.

Without that obsessive/narcissistic/selfish/whatever need to always be the guy that gets the goal, I doubt he would have the career he did. I can totally see why some of his former opponents and teammates would hate him for that mentality, but guy could barely shoot the puck and somehow was one of the better goalscorers in the NHL for 15 years, he was doing something right :laugh:
I bet scored more goals with his ass in one season than O'Brien in his entire career))

• Haha
Reactions: 94 Oil Drops

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Says more about O'Brien than Smyth.
You won't hear intelligent ex-NHLers chirp Smyth like this because it's punching down.

Smyth was a real simple fellow who put up a 39G season as a 20 year old, and ended with >1000 GP. He idolized Gretz almost like a child would and you could also see his love and dedication to the game was child-like. Besides his career numbers his overall style was absolutely legendary for the level of throwback dustiness: the mullet, the gauntlets, the jersey tuck, that shovel 2-peice twig!

lol at O'Brien being this dumb and hateful.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa

The Smytty clapper was a thing of beauty.

Reactions: SaltNPeca

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad