Confirmed with Link: Ryan Reaves to NYR for a 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I still find it more likely that it was a confluence of events that led to that leadership group being let go.

Fast being let go and Hank being bought out to fit in ADA who was known to be a problem child. I'm sure there were deals on the table that Gorton didn't take from last off-season. The team showing little to no backbone on multiple nights in a shortened season. Etc

Teams that believe they're some grit away from a Cup run, make a few of the moves the Rangers just made, but the Rangers don't appear to be that close.

I think they acted too early and too rashly.

Reactions: Jim Halinski

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Never really believed in Enforcers as “Deterants”. I don’t really think that exists. Rather, you do find the types of players that can goad an Enforcer into a penalty. A Sean Avery if you will. That to me is biggest negative of employing a true Enforcer. With that said…I think there is still a place in the game for these guys. They have to know their role. When to do it, when not to. Don’t get lured into the bad penalty. I do think teams are much better off when you have a guy like Ryan Reaves on the bench. He’s the knows the role. He is the guy. Like the best at it in the League right now.

The Tom Wilson incident would have never happened if Reaves was on the bench. Would Wilson still throw a questionable hits? Yes. Maybe an Elbow, Yes, Maybe a Knee, Yes. Board Someone, yes. Chokeslam the life out of your organization by the vicious attack he did on Panarin last year? Nope…that’s just not going to happen.

The biggest thing I think that a guy like Reaves brings to the table is that he makes others guys on the team that much bigger. Gallant understand that well. As a Sophomore for the Red Wings he played with Bob Probert and Joey Kocur. The greatest Enforcer tandem of all time. Im sure he appreciated having those guys with him. I think the new additions will have a positive impact on the young NYR roster. Kakko, LaFreniere, Miller, Kravtsov, Chytil, Barron. Lundqvist etc. Whats the average age here 21 years old? A lot of them played last year on a losing team. They were a team that wanted to be identified as a club that was “Fast, Physical, and Relentless”. They were fast. They were relentless only against the Sabres. The rest of the league…not so much, largely evidenced when they played against the physical clubs last year. They were what 6-2 vs the Isles last year? Against the B’s they were what 5-3?

Im looking forward to where these new guys are going to fit into the roster.
Reaves skated 37 games last season. 71 the season prior and 80 the season before that. Im thinking he skates in 45-50 contests this season.
Goodrow skated in 55 games last season. 70 the season prior and 82 the season before that. Im thinking he dresses every game barring injury.
Nemeth skated in 52 games last season. 64 the season before that and 74 the season before that. Im thinking he dresses for 70 games this season.
Blais skated in 36 games last season. 40 the Season prior, and 32 the season before that. I have no idea what the Rangers really plan to do with him? Maybe 50 games?
Hunt skated in 26 games last season. 21 the season prior, and 31 the season prior to that. Im thinking 10-15 games this season on a packed roster. Hes a wrecking ball player.
Tinordi skated in 14 games for the last season. 28 the season prior, and was in the AHL for three seasons prior to that. I think he starts in Hartford and is traded at the deadline to a team that needs “Tuffness”

The guys that are here already
Lindgren was tough to play against already. Hes got a regular spot and maybe will wear a letter.
Trouba was tough to play against already. He’s got a regular spot and maybe will wear a letter
I would love it if K’Andre developed a mean streak. He is an incredible athelete that if…”IF” he ever realizes he is one of the biggest and strongest guys on the ice he can be an absolute force.
Gauthier is big, and fast as hell but is he tough to play against? With his tools, he should be running people over and playing a relentless style. Something just isn’t there yet. Maybe Gallant, or Goodrow can help him there.

This team is going to be tough to play against!!!
They already were when the whistle blew. Lapped the field in penalties under Quinn.

With the coaching change and the addition of tough hockey players, I'm expecting us to actually hit during play now.

That's why I've been so positive about the changes. Gorton and Quinn fell hard into that trap that playing hard was bad players doing stupid shit. Drury wants the same thing, he just has a better concept of it.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Never really believed in Enforcers as “Deterants”. I don’t really think that exists. Rather, you do find the types of players that can goad an Enforcer into a penalty. A Sean Avery if you will. That to me is biggest negative of employing a true Enforcer. With that said…I think there is still a place in the game for these guys. They have to know their role. When to do it, when not to. Don’t get lured into the bad penalty. I do think teams are much better off when you have a guy like Ryan Reaves on the bench. He’s the knows the role. He is the guy. Like the best at it in the League right now.

The Tom Wilson incident would have never happened if Reaves was on the bench. Would Wilson still throw a questionable hits? Yes. Maybe an Elbow, Yes, Maybe a Knee, Yes. Board Someone, yes. Chokeslam the life out of your organization by the vicious attack he did on Panarin last year? Nope…that’s just not going to happen.

The biggest thing I think that a guy like Reaves brings to the table is that he makes others guys on the team that much bigger. Gallant understand that well. As a Sophomore for the Red Wings he played with Bob Probert and Joey Kocur. The greatest Enforcer tandem of all time. Im sure he appreciated having those guys with him. I think the new additions will have a positive impact on the young NYR roster. Kakko, LaFreniere, Miller, Kravtsov, Chytil, Barron. Lundqvist etc. Whats the average age here 21 years old? A lot of them played last year on a losing team. They were a team that wanted to be identified as a club that was “Fast, Physical, and Relentless”. They were fast. They were relentless only against the Sabres. The rest of the league…not so much, largely evidenced when they played against the physical clubs last year. They were what 6-2 vs the Isles last year? Against the B’s they were what 5-3?

Im looking forward to where these new guys are going to fit into the roster.
Reaves skated 37 games last season. 71 the season prior and 80 the season before that. Im thinking he skates in 45-50 contests this season.
Goodrow skated in 55 games last season. 70 the season prior and 82 the season before that. Im thinking he dresses every game barring injury.
Nemeth skated in 52 games last season. 64 the season before that and 74 the season before that. Im thinking he dresses for 70 games this season.
Blais skated in 36 games last season. 40 the Season prior, and 32 the season before that. I have no idea what the Rangers really plan to do with him? Maybe 50 games?
Hunt skated in 26 games last season. 21 the season prior, and 31 the season prior to that. Im thinking 10-15 games this season on a packed roster. Hes a wrecking ball player.
Tinordi skated in 14 games for the last season. 28 the season prior, and was in the AHL for three seasons prior to that. I think he starts in Hartford and is traded at the deadline to a team that needs “Tuffness”

The guys that are here already
Lindgren was tough to play against already. Hes got a regular spot and maybe will wear a letter.
Trouba was tough to play against already. He’s got a regular spot and maybe will wear a letter
I would love it if K’Andre developed a mean streak. He is an incredible athelete that if…”IF” he ever realizes he is one of the biggest and strongest guys on the ice he can be an absolute force.
Gauthier is big, and fast as hell but is he tough to play against? With his tools, he should be running people over and playing a relentless style. Something just isn’t there yet. Maybe Gallant, or Goodrow can help him there.

This team is going to be tough to play against!!!

Yeah and I think it’s important to acknowledge that it’s a prediction based on (a) past performance, (b) in a specific role, (c) in a specific system with (d) specific linemates — which is supposed to indicate how a transferred player will perform in the future.

If the acquired player is used (a) in an identical role, (b) in an identical system with (c) compareable linemates — there is a clear logic behind an expectation that “past performance” will indicate coming performance.

In addition, we have very very little to go by as to how much these factors impact each other. We know that they do, but not to which extent. And it’s not an easy experiment. It’s like you put item a and b on the fire and blow on it with a fan going at c RPM to give it more oxygen and the temperature rises X degrees. OK. You are going to have to run a ton of experiments to sort out which factors had which impacts.

With that said, it’s always something. I don’t think it’s irrelevant.

Reactions: Lion Hound

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Teams that believe they're some grit away from a Cup run, make a few of the moves the Rangers just made, but the Rangers don't appear to be that close.

I think they acted too early and too rashly.

The crazy thing is, most every team has guys like the Rangers just brought in. It’s just the fact that last years team was so bereft of it that it required such a drastic change and visually, because it happened quickly, it may feel aggressive.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
The crazy thing is, most every team has guys like the Rangers just brought in. It’s just the fact that last years team was so bereft of it that it required such a drastic change and visually, because it happened quickly, it may feel aggressive.

The cost was a borderline 1st liner for an ordinary bottom 6 guy who gets hurt a lot.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
We all knew that Buch was the most likely to go.

However, we all assumed it would be in a deal for a top 6 center.

Now, the options appear to be to give up young talent for Eichel or I don't know what.

If Eichel is deemed healthy and the cost isn't too steep, that's fine.

Buch for a young center would have been nice yet who knows what the offers were. Was it a player equal or in question like Chytil? Similar to Strome? They needed grit so maybe this was the best they could get.

Imo, the Rangers aren’t as desperate for a center until they actually are. That sounds scary and is but at the moment we know what we have (Zibby, Strome, Chytil, Goody and maybe Barron). Who knows, maybe a Henricksson suddenly emerges.

Still a lot of time imo so happy the Rangers aren’t panicking. Somebody will become available is what i’m thinking.

Reactions: McSauer

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
From the Athletic: Rangers ranked as having 27th best off-season.

27. New York Rangers
Wins Added: -3.6 wins
Salary Added: $1.1 million

In: Barclay Goodrow, Dryden Hunt, Sammy Blais, Patrik Nemeth, Ryan Reaves, Jarred Tinordi

Out: Pavel Buchnevich, Tony DeAngelo, Colin Blackwell, Philipp di Giuseppe, Brendan Smith, Brett Howden

No team had a more baffling offseason as the front office seems to have gone all-in on the tougher to play against mandate. The Rangers spent an extra $1.1 million to be nearly four wins worse. Not a single player brought in is a significant needle mover and that includes Barclay Goodrow who will look much worse when not playing next to Gourde and Coleman. Ryan Reaves, at this stage of his career, hurts much more than he helps while neither Sammy Blais nor Patrik Nemeth offers much value above replacement.

It’s a whole pile of nothing but toughness. It has a place, but the Rangers should prefer players who are actually good on top of being in tough, like Wilson, to solve their Wilson problem. They overpaid to curb a hyper-fixation on one player and arguably set the team back to do it.

The Rangers should still be in the playoff mix after this, they had a strong base to begin with, but they didn’t make things any easier for themselves trading away Pavel Buchnevich. That’s a legitimate top line forward traded for a low pick and someone who hits. Great work.

that is an extremely subjective piece. Where is the calculation for player maturity? Laf, Kakko, Chytil, Krav, Miller, etc won’t contribute more while Panarin will make another trip to Moscow? That take is “baffling” imo.

Reactions: Rongomania

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
They already were when the whistle blew. Lapped the field in penalties under Quinn.

With the coaching change and the addition of tough hockey players, I'm expecting us to actually hit during play now.

That's why I've been so positive about the changes. Gorton and Quinn fell hard into that trap that playing hard was bad players doing stupid shit. Drury wants the same thing, he just has a better concept of it.
I like the optimism!

Reactions: Machinehead

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
that is an extremely subjective piece. Where is the calculation for player maturity? Laf, Kakko, Chytil, Krav, Miller, etc won’t contribute more while Panarin will make another trip to Moscow? That take is “baffling” imo.
I mean it seems spot on to me... do you take Ovie & Crosby being a yr older into consideration for an offseason?

Growth & or aging happens regardless.

The moves a GM can/does make are up for scrutiny... Drury's are FOR SURE

Reactions: EdJovanovski

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I mean it seems spot on to me... do you take Ovie & Crosby being a yr older into consideration for an offseason?

Growth & or aging happens regardless.

The moves a GM can/does make are up for scrutiny... Drury's are FOR SURE

i’m betting on these lottery choices and kids progressing more in a year than opponents veterans regressing. Had this Rangers team been loaded with players in their prime i wouldn’t make mention. Considering the kids are closer in age to High School Senior Prom than a college grad i’ll bank on them getting better.
The $1.1 million to build a 3rd and 4th line is up for ridicule? Good lord, that’s a bargain people.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Yeah and especially in our division. If push comes to shove we are barely on par with the teams around us.

I wouldn’t at all mind if we could establish more team toughness and scale back on the goons in a few years and be a team that can take care of itself like Tampa. But after the mismanagement I think an over correction was needed.

Reactions: egelband

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
i’m betting on these lottery choices and kids progressing more in a year than opponents veterans regressing. Had this Rangers team been loaded with players in their prime i wouldn’t make mention. Considering the kids are closer in age to High School Senior Prom than a college grad i’ll bank on them getting better.
The $1.1 million to build a 3rd and 4th line is up for ridicule? Good lord, that’s a bargain people.
Still doesn’t seem like something you can quantify to me or at least effect or adjust. Clearly the kids will get better as they grow.

That write up is about how the GM changed his team w moves & management & in this case Drury is being criticized (rightfully imo) for subtracting Buch and not adding much more than grit.

I’m certainly hopeful that Buch won’t be missed because KK and Kravtsov will replace and eventually exceed him, but we have the same centers and other than growth or the addition of Nils (which was happening regardless) the same D

Drury added some grit. That’s all

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Still doesn’t seem like something you can quantify to me or at least effect or adjust. Clearly the kids will get better as they grow.

That write up is about how the GM changed his team w moves & management & in this case Drury is being criticized (rightfully imo) for subtracting Buch and not adding much more than grit.

I’m certainly hopeful that Buch won’t be missed because KK and Kravtsov will replace and eventually exceed him, but we have the same centers and other than growth or the addition of Nils (which was happening regardless) the same D

The key will be to add speed to center ice.

We won’t get through Islanders trap nor can we counter Tampa, the Perfection Line, Carolina with Aho and Trocek, NJ down the road with Hughes and Hirscher — without it.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

ah, yeah, that’s all Tampa added too. The Isles went a long way by adding grit while subtracting Tavares. Vegas is loaded with grit as were both the Stars who went to the finals and the Blues who won the Cup. Montreal has more grit than skill beat the finesse Leafs.

The team has a 3rd and 4th line which they didn’t have before. That’s significant.

As far as center, who did you want? It’s not like July was the endall.

Reactions: bl02

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
ah, yeah, that’s all Tampa added too. The Isles went a long way by adding grit while subtracting Tavares. Vegas is loaded with grit as were both the Stars who went to the finals and the Blues who won the Cup. Montreal has more grit than skill beat the finesse Leafs.

The team has a 3rd and 4th line which they didn’t have before. That’s significant.

As far as center, who did you want? It’s not like July was the endall.
Having a 3rd & 4th line is significant… if u have the other pieces.

As far as what center? I dunno. My name isn’t Chris Drury and I’m not the GM of the NYR

Also, my pt of all this is the statement about the off-season seems fairly accurate to me.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Having a 3rd & 4th line is significant… if u have the other pieces.

As far as what center? I dunno. My name isn’t Chris Drury and I’m not the GM of the NYR

Also, my pt of all this is the statement about the off-season seems fairly accurate to me.

Well, if you’re not Chris Drury you must not know if you’re accurate.

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
Ahh so this is where the Quinn apologists went, this thread is the refuge.

we have a much improved team, and a lot thanks to just removing that asshat.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Ahh so this is where the Quinn apologists went, this thread is the refuge.

we have a much improved team, and a lot thanks to just removing that asshat.

If Kravtsov heads to Buffalo in an Eichel deal, will you still like the off-season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad