Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling (Part 6 - Recalled to the NHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Great, we likely have the two players you want, in Domi and Kotkaniemi.

Suzuki could be a top-9 RW and Poehling a top-6 or 9 LW.

Then add Danault as 3C, and we have a center line!

I'm not counting my chickens until they hatch. No guarantee KK pans out. No guarantee Domi repeats last season. It's nice to have 4 options for 2 spots. But we still need at least 2 of those options to come to fruition.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
FWIW, they were mentioning on 690 how a Poehling has been caught off guard a few times by not anticipating or being ready for an incoming hit, which has resulted in him getting rattled.

Did anyone else see something like that? I have noticed him on the receiving end of hits and getting rattled but I don’t know if they were just fortuitous events or how much of what happened was on him.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Too bad this team has zero depth which causes them to rush kids who could use proper seasoning. Poehling is not ready from what I have seen the past 2 games, maybe I am jumping the gun and should give him 10-15 games before making that assessment
Oddly enough - I don't think depth is a problem with the Habs, IMO, if anything it's a strength. What they lack is top end talent.

Furthermore, I think the Habs do a disservice to their kids by constantly putting them in the NHL but not giving them ANY rope or even a role to progress in.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Too bad this team has zero depth which causes them to rush kids who could use proper seasoning. Poehling is not ready from what I have seen the past 2 games, maybe I am jumping the gun and should give him 10-15 games before making that assessment

And he may not be ready to play center but may be ok on the wing. I just don't know. Have to see more.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
FWIW, they were mentioning on 690 how a Poehling has been caught off guard a few times by not anticipating or being ready for an incoming hit, which has resulted in him getting rattled.

Did anyone else see something like that? I have noticed him on the receiving end of hits and getting rattled but I don’t know if they were just fortuitous events or how much of what happened was on him.
When guys are nervous or trying to impress they tend to do things unnatural to them. I noticed the same thing about him. He was a bit out of control. Boy needs to settle down.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

He has his head down quite a bit.

Reactions: Runner77 and 26Mats

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
He'll get used to the fast pace soon, he has all the tools. He just thinks that he has that extra second on everyone else which he doesn't.

His skating is also very underrated, his top speed is amazing and he's quicker than I thought.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Suzuki did not look as bad as RP. Maybe habs should have played RP on the wing to acclimate him before giving him more responsibility.
Suzuki was pretty terrible for the first 2-4 games. Just lost positionally and always behind the play. Now he's adjusted to the speed of the game and here we are today. He looks like a regular

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Suzuki was pretty terrible for the first 2-4 games. Just lost positionally and always behind the play. Now he's adjusted to the speed of the game and here we are today. He looks like a regular

I think it was more really wanting to not get sent down amd therefore trying to really impress, than being nervous. Plus the adrenaline mist have been crazy playing your first NHL road game in another team's barn.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Terrible is a bit excessive,out of place,sure. At least he was defensively sound to warrant an ongoing audition.

Reactions: Goal Caufield

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I think it was more really wanting to not get sent down amd therefore trying to really impress, than being nervous. Plus the adrenaline mist have been crazy playing your first NHL road game in another team's barn.
yea all that equates in the same way to being nervous. We can use other words like "hyped up".

Soon the game will slow down for him a little and he can be himself. Just like it did with Suzuki.

I'm looking forward to see what he can bring. I like his size and i feel he skates well.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Kennedys

Jul 22, 2015
Saguenay

Lack of depth is not a problem the Habs are having. They don't have high end talents though

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
yea all that equates in the same way to being nervous. We can use other words like "hyped up".

Soon the game will slow down for him a little and he can be himself. Just like it did with Suzuki.

I'm looking forward to see what he can bring. I like his size and i feel he skates well.

The Flyers kid playing in his 10th NHL game that took the penalty shot on Price looked nervous - as in frozen, stiff, not confident in his abilities. I didn't see that in Poehling.

Jul 6, 2016
What's up with Poehling ? Is he the one who's going to get cut when KK is back ? Or they gonna put Weal on waivers ?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Lack of depth is not a problem the Habs are having. They don't have high end talents though

You guys seem to be talking about the same thing:

Julien wants Poehling and Fleury in the lineup because he doesn't think the alternatives are talented enough ( Weal or Cousins at C, and Folin as #6 RD).

But let's give Fleury and Poehling time to try to adjust to the NHL. If they can't, send them back down. Hopefully Juulsen will be ready soon.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
True, but this organization needs more than that. We need a #1 and a #2 center from Domi, Kotkaniemi, Poehling, and Suzuki. We don't need a #2 center and three mediocre #3 centers. It will be very difficult to contend unless we have a #1 and a #2 center from among those 4. We can find a #3 center in the UFA market or even the trade market.

well good luck getting a #1 center, there's a reason why they are so hard to come by. Hopefully one of them can be but until we see what they can do in the NHL over time we'll just have to wait and see. Or I should say getting a #1 center on a team that can contend is very difficult so we'll see.

So basically what you're saying is that your opinion is entirely based o conjecture. I honestly can't take anyone seriously who says X or Y player/rookie needs more ice time, yet they don't even watch the games....

Buddy, turn on the tv and watch these guys play in the NHL. Yes that's right, THE NHL. Not junior leagues, not Under 18 tournaments, the FKN NHL. THEN and only THEN will you understand why they aren't getting ice-time or better line mates. Because they aren't playing well and are not good enough for it RIGHT NOW.

"But...But...But... they had really good junior stats so we should play them top minutes! It's bad development! They would have become Barkov,Mackinnon,Petersson!"

If every player who dominated juniors was good enough to dominate the NHL, better yet, good enough to even make the NHL, we'd have enough players to fill 100 teams.

Some guys just aren't good enough. Call it lacking talent, smarts, endurance, physicality, confidence, discipline...Wtv it is, sometimes, scratch that, MOST TIMES they just can't reach that next level.

Just because it's happening to our beloved habs prospects doesn't mean we suck at development. There's about 100 cases for every team where a player looks good in junior and doesn't pan out. Such is life.

Well first off I have said over and over that I hate how this team rushes top prospects to the NHL too soon. I would not have put Suzuki in the NHL at 20, I would have had Kotka play in Liiga last year to work on getting physically stronger, and I would never have called up Poehling when he wasn't even playing well in the AHL.

I don't trust the Habs development plan, and I'm not a fan of Julien. The Habs track record with development speaks for it's self, yet they continue to call up kids at 20 that aren't ready imo. I don't watch a lot of juniors, I watch just about every AHL game our team plays every year and a bunch of NCAA/Euro league games. I used to never miss a Habs game ever since the first year that NHL Center Ice came out but last year I only saw maybe half the games and this year I only saw bits of a few games.

But feel free to ignore my posts, I'm just one fan and I will offer up my opinions and never let anyone tell me what to do.

Reactions: DangerDave

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
The Flyers kid playing in his 10th NHL game that took the penalty shot on Price looked nervous - as in frozen, stiff, not confident in his abilities. I didn't see that in Poehling.
That's because you didnt get to witness Poehling take a penalty shot. He would have yellowed his shorts like that kid did.
Did you notice anything "nervous" about the Flyer kid before the penalty shot?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
well good luck getting a #1 center, there's a reason why they are so hard to come by. Hopefully one of them can be but until we see what they can do in the NHL over time we'll just have to wait and see. Or I should say getting a #1 center on a team that can contend is very difficult so we'll see.

We can hope. But I will be disappointed if not 2 of Domi, Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, and Poehling are #1 and #2 centers, even if the other 2 are complete busts.

In comparison to that hope, I could care less how many of them are 40 point 3c's. Gotta get a #1 and a #2.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
We can hope. But I will be disappointed if not 2 of Domi, Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, and Poehling are #1 and #2 centers, even if the other 2 are complete busts.

In comparison to that hope, I could care less how many of them are 40 point 3c's. Gotta get a #1 and a #2.

well if we are contenders one day, I could see Domi on the wing. I never considered Poehling a top 2 center as I just don't think he has the offensive upside for that but we'll see. Kotka and Suzuki we can hope on since the skill level is there and in Kotka you have the size. Both have their issues and I wish they weren't rushed to the NHL but there's a lot to like about their upsides as well. It's so hard to project how these kids will translate to the NHL and how long it will take for them to hit their stride. I don't know if I would bet on either being a true #1 center on a contending team down the road but their prime years are still far away so we'll see how they progress.

I'm working on my rankings and it's very clear we need a lot of help at forward.

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
well if we are contenders one day, I could see Domi on the wing. I never considered Poehling a top 2 center as I just don't think he has the offensive upside for that but we'll see. Kotka and Suzuki we can hope on since the skill level is there and in Kotka you have the size. Both have their issues and I wish they weren't rushed to the NHL but there's a lot to like about their upsides as well. It's so hard to project how these kids will translate to the NHL and how long it will take for them to hit their stride. I don't know if I would bet on either being a true #1 center on a contending team down the road but their prime years are still far away so we'll see how they progress.

I'm working on my rankings and it's very clear we need a lot of help at forward.

Timmins just seems so much better at drafting goalies and D's. I'm fine with focusing on those two areas and hoping Bergevin can trade hot D and goalie prospects for good young forwards. We got offered a lot of good young players for Sergachev.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad