Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling (Part 6 - Recalled to the NHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Watched him closely last night.

Pros: He is one strong 20 year old and didn't look out of place. Not easy to do going from the AHL to NHL as a 20 year old playing 3rd line center. What I like the most about his game is his skating for a big man. I think there is a higher degree of probability he reaches his potential faster than Kotkaneimi or Suzuki based on his skating ability. Once this kid gets comfortable with this power skating in the NHL, watch out! He is going to be a force at both ends! He's clearly committed to improving. Suzuki has that as well. Not so sure with the hunger Kotkaniemi has yet but we did draft him as a long term project so it's only fair to say we have to wait.

Cons: Seem to be out of gas in some of his shifts. Can he get use to the high degree of intensity? Will be nice to see how he looks after 10 games.

In terms of overall package at center, he's got it all. Size/Strength/Skating/Skill/IQ. A decent shot too

I think the question is how much skill and iq will he haave at the nhl level? Lars Eller level? Ryan Oreilly level? Ryan Getzlaf level?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think the question is how much skill and iq will he haave at the nhl level? Lars Eller level? Ryan Oreilly level? Ryan Getzlaf level?

That's a good question. I'll add Bergeron to the mix as well. I think his base is around the Eller level and who knows hot good he is after that.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Watched him closely last night.

Pros: He is one strong 20 year old and didn't look out of place. Not easy to do going from the AHL to NHL as a 20 year old playing 3rd line center. What I like the most about his game is his skating for a big man. I think there is a higher degree of probability he reaches his potential faster than Kotkaneimi or Suzuki based on his skating ability. Once this kid gets comfortable with this power skating in the NHL, watch out! He is going to be a force at both ends! He's clearly committed to improving. Suzuki has that as well. Not so sure with the hunger Kotkaniemi has yet but we did draft him as a long term project so it's only fair to say we have to wait.

Cons: Seem to be out of gas in some of his shifts. Can he get use to the high degree of intensity? Will be nice to see how he looks after 10 games.

In terms of overall package at center, he's got it all. Size/Strength/Skating/Skill/IQ. A decent shot too
He had another poor night. Out of position many times, losing puck battles, multiple turnovers and not getting the puck out of our own end. He's struggling at the moment much like Suzuki did for the first 5 or so games. The speed of the game needs adjustment to and he's figuring it out.

Reactions: Andrei79

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
He had another poor night. Out of position many times, losing puck battles, multiple turnovers and not getting the puck out of our own end. He's struggling at the moment much like Suzuki did for the first 5 or so games. The speed of the game needs adjustment to and he's figuring it out.
Yep, he had one good shift where he forechecked hard and intercepted a puck behind the net thanks to a good read. He then set up Lehk in front of the net, beside that, pretty quiet game except for a hit too.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

It was a rough night for the entire group so I would not expect Poehling to stand out in a game like this... unless he was elite level at 20. There is lots to like in his game and he just needs time. Playing with Byron and Lehkonen is also not ideal.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
They don’t? That’s the coaches call. Do you think playing 3 rookies in the top 6 translates into a winning record? I don’t. Not at this stage. Montreal will be a bubble team, regardless.

I would have kept Poehling in the AHL, I would never call up a prospect when he isn't even playing well at the AHL level. I mean the guy was just benched a few games ago for a brutal turnover that cost a goal. I don't get the logic of calling a player that just had a couple bad games in a row.

So that would leave Kotka and Suzuki, so if we are going to be a bubble team regardless, then why not do what's best for your future, instead of just trying to get 2 points, think of the bigger picture.

I think Eller is a good place to start, perhaps his production will be between Habs Eller and Danault.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think getting absolutely smoked early on didn't help him- and probably factored into that turnover... but at least he didn't get concussed so looks like his brain is healthy at least.

Reactions: DangerDave

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
based on his first two games, scratch those 3 names... so far he grinds that is all.

Let's hope it's him being nervous and oversimplifying his game and not the coaches asking him to play like this.

Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Suzuki did not look as bad as RP. Maybe habs should have played RP on the wing to acclimate him before giving him more responsibility.

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
based on his first two games, scratch those 3 names... so far he grinds that is all.

Let's hope it's him being nervous and oversimplifying his game and not the coaches asking him to play like this.

I wouldn't base on anything on 2 games - forget even going into the fact that he's playing with Lehkonen and Byron.

But yes, in his interview RP said the coaching staff told him he brings size and a physical presence. To me it's clear he thinks he can not get sent down again if he shows he does that. So that it is definitely on his mind.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think getting absolutely smoked early on didn't help him- and probably factored into that turnover... but at least he didn't get concussed so looks like his brain is healthy at least.

we're not yet sure he didn't get concussed. Last time it came out the next day. We'll see over the next couple of days.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I wouldn't base on anything on 2 games - forget even going into the fact that he's playing with Lehkonen and Byron.

But yes, in his interview RP said the coaching staff told him he brings size and a physical presence. To me it's clear he thinks he can not get sent down again if he shows he does that. So that it is definitely on his mind.
"so far".

that's stupid if true, if all they want from him is size and physicality might as well let him develop in Laval.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I would have kept Poehling in the AHL, I would never call up a prospect when he isn't even playing well at the AHL level. I mean the guy was just benched a few games ago for a brutal turnover that cost a goal. I don't get the logic of calling a player that just had a couple bad games in a row.

So that would leave Kotka and Suzuki, so if we are going to be a bubble team regardless, then why not do what's best for your future, instead of just trying to get 2 points, think of the bigger picture.

I think Eller is a good place to start, perhaps his production will be between Habs Eller and Danault.

If he is going to produce below or even at Danault level, then our best hope to get max value from him might be as a power winger who can also play C in a pinch, like John Leclair turned out.

Reactions: DangerDave

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
not for where he was picked, it would be a win imo.

True, but this organization needs more than that. We need a #1 and a #2 center from Domi, Kotkaniemi, Poehling, and Suzuki. We don't need a #2 center and three mediocre #3 centers. It will be very difficult to contend unless we have a #1 and a #2 center from among those 4. We can find a #3 center in the UFA market or even the trade market.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I thought that his play changed after the hit he received in the Flyers zone, it looked like it shook him up a little. We need this type of player to succeed and I hope that he is permitted to make a few mistakes without being sent down. He is going to be a good one and I felt that he would hit the ground running but baby steps are a better way to look at his progression I guess. Was there a play last night in our crease where he was directly responsible for saving a goal against us? Maybe some of the replay gurus's here can dig it up. I might have dreamt it but for some reason, I think that he did.

Reactions: 26Mats

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
True, but this organization needs more than that. We need a #1 and a #2 center from Domi, Kotkaniemi, Poehling, and Suzuki. We don't need a #2 center and three mediocre #3 centers. It will be very difficult to contend unless we have a #1 and a #2 center from among those 4. We can find a #3 center in the UFA market or even the trade market.
So true. We need some Aho types or what the Canuck propsects are showing.

Sand94

Oct 5, 2017
TB, boston, at one point the wings. I'm sure others can answer better though as the past few years I have gotten further and further away from following the NHL and have really become much more of a AHL, NCAA, Euro league watcher. I haven't seen one full NHL game yet this year and I have barely watched a non Habs NHL game in years so I am not as up to date on things.
So basically what you're saying is that your opinion is entirely based o conjecture. I honestly can't take anyone seriously who says X or Y player/rookie needs more ice time, yet they don't even watch the games....

Buddy, turn on the tv and watch these guys play in the NHL. Yes that's right, THE NHL. Not junior leagues, not Under 18 tournaments, the FKN NHL. THEN and only THEN will you understand why they aren't getting ice-time or better line mates. Because they aren't playing well and are not good enough for it RIGHT NOW.

"But...But...But... they had really good junior stats so we should play them top minutes! It's bad development! They would have become Barkov,Mackinnon,Petersson!"

If every player who dominated juniors was good enough to dominate the NHL, better yet, good enough to even make the NHL, we'd have enough players to fill 100 teams.

Some guys just aren't good enough. Call it lacking talent, smarts, endurance, physicality, confidence, discipline...Wtv it is, sometimes, scratch that, MOST TIMES they just can't reach that next level.

Just because it's happening to our beloved habs prospects doesn't mean we suck at development. There's about 100 cases for every team where a player looks good in junior and doesn't pan out. Such is life.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Yep, he had one good shift where he forechecked hard and intercepted a puck behind the net thanks to a good read. He then set up Lehk in front of the net, beside that, pretty quiet game except for a hit too.
He also got hammered the very next shift and he didn't look right after. I'm not convinced he should have been sent back out. I'm not an expert on concussions or Poehlings game but I'd be careful with him going forward

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Love that the hype has gotten so out of hand that if he becomes a Lars Eller it would somehow be a disappointment. Eller's a high end 3C who filled in capably on the Capitals' 2nd line when Backstrom was injured, and he was a big part in a cup winning team. Plays great defence and pulls 15-20 goals out of thin air every year playing with mediocre linemates and can play up the lineup if necessary.

If that's a disappointment for a player taken 25th overall who scored 8 goals in college in his draft + 2 season I don't know what to say.

Reactions: angusyoung

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Great, we likely have the two players you want, in Domi and Kotkaniemi.

Suzuki could be a top-9 RW and Poehling a top-6 or 9 LW.

Then add Danault as 3C, and we have a center line!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad