Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling Part 3 - Back to school edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Why do we have to keep making new threads? Wasn't that a problem with the old board? Can't you just edit the title?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Why do we have to keep making new threads? Wasn't that a problem with the old board? Can't you just edit the title?

it's what we were told to do from the top. We always kept threads under 1000 posts but with the new board they said it wasn't an issue but now they want us to go back to the 1000 post limit.

Reactions: Redux91

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
I think Ryan will have a terrific year, around 40-45 pts and 20 goals. In the development camp he really stood out by his frame and his skating. I would like to see him shoot the puck more and not always looking to make a pass as soon as he have the puck.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
I think Ryan will have a terrific year, around 40-45 pts and 20 goals. In the development camp he really stood out by his frame and his skating. I would like to see him shoot the puck more and not always looking to make a pass as soon as he have the puck.
Meh. When we have a shoot 1st mentality Centermen,we put him on the left wing no matter how big the production drop.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

He gained about 20 pounds of muscle from his draft year to this year. That is very impressive. Not to mention, at the camp, he was one of the stand outs and was still battling a throat infection at the same time.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
He gained about 20 pounds of muscle from his draft year to this year. That is very impressive. Not to mention, at the camp, he was one of the stand outs and was still battling a throat infection at the same time.

I'm not an expert but we shoud only tell 20 pounds.

Because I don't think it's possible physicaly to gain 20 pounds of pure muscle.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I'm so happy to see him go back to school to dominate at the college level playing against men. Hope he builds that confidence and ends the year in either Laval or Montreal depending when everyone finishes their seasons.

I see good things in his future. He gets 3rd line center tag a lot but he has so much more skill than that. Hope he'll be an everyday 2nd liner and Kotka develops into our no.1.

Kotka
Poehling
Danault
Olaffson
DLR
Evans
etc...

Future looks good down the middle!

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I'm not an expert but we shoud only tell 20 pounds.

Because I don't think it's possible physicaly to gain 20 pounds of pure muscle.

It's not. That being said, around that age (17-18) the fats gained are actually an athletic deposit of easily accessible energy more than anything "redundant".

Fat is an organ, athletes have vastly different fat profiles than inactive people "generally". But, some athletes are cheating their systems with "carbs bombs" (3000-4000k calories) before games. Guys who do that can carry some extra baggage on them (Ovechkin).

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I'm so happy to see him go back to school to dominate at the college level playing against men. Hope he builds that confidence and ends the year in either Laval or Montreal depending when everyone finishes their seasons.

I see good things in his future. He gets 3rd line center tag a lot but he has so much more skill than that. Hope he'll be an everyday 2nd liner and Kotka develops into our no.1.

Kotka
Poehling
Danault
Olaffson
DLR
Evans
etc...

Future looks good down the middle!
Quantity of names is nice, but there's only one player with good odds of becoming a quality top C. That's Kotkaniemi. Poehling's an optimistic maybe, Danault is a solid 3C, the rest are depth. Right now this list is relying on longshot gambles; we need to improve our odds over the next two drafts with high-quality picks.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Quantity of names is nice, but there's only one player with good odds of becoming a quality top C. That's Kotkaniemi. Poehling's an optimistic maybe, Danault is a solid 3C, the rest are depth. Right now this list is relying on longshot gambles; we need to improve our odds over the next two drafts with high-quality picks.

Every draft is a crap shoot. But having more prospects to hedge the failures is always a positive.

I agree with Kotka having the best odds of being a top line center which i said in my post. Poehling, has the size, skill and size to be a serviceable #2 in the NHL. Not a #2 like Backstrom, Malkin, Mathews etc who more like 1b centers but more like an actual #2 center in the ilk of Kesler, Stastney, ROR, etc where he can get 50-60 points a season.

As for the others, Danault has already shown to be a solid #3 and is young enough to be effective as that for years to come. The other names will hopefully push the others, put on the wing or traded to fill more important gaps in our line up.

Having numbers isn't the only thing but it's a hell of a lot better than not having them!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I'm not 100% sold on Danault as the future #3C. He has only played one full season where he got 40pts in 82 games playing a lot of games with Patch. I actually would consider moving him to 3rd line LW and play with DLR as the center and Shaw on RW. All depends on if DLR can take the next step from what he showed in the last 2 months of last season.

As far as Poehling and Kotkaniemi as our center depth. They are solid prospects at this stage. They have great size and skill. And they both play a responsible 200' game. I don't think they are longshot gambles.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Every draft is a crap shoot. But having more prospects to hedge the failures is always a positive.

I agree with Kotka having the best odds of being a top line center which i said in my post. Poehling, has the size, skill and size to be a serviceable #2 in the NHL. Not a #2 like Backstrom, Malkin, Mathews etc who more like 1b centers but more like an actual #2 center in the ilk of Kesler, Stastney, ROR, etc where he can get 50-60 points a season.

As for the others, Danault has already shown to be a solid #3 and is young enough to be effective as that for years to come. The other names will hopefully push the others, put on the wing or traded to fill more important gaps in our line up.

Having numbers isn't the only thing but it's a hell of a lot better than not having them!
Sure, I'm happy we have so many Cs in the pipeline. It's an important step forward. However, even in the most optimistic tint those players bump us no higher than decent. Which is a good start, but nowhere near where we need to be to compete. Exactly why we should be using this down-period to aggressively chase high-end picks and prospects. A great draft in 2019 with another top C and/or D substantially improves our odds of building a strong core.

I'm happy with the direction of our prospects, provided we don't stop halfway.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Sure, I'm happy we have so many Cs in the pipeline. It's an important step forward. However, even in the most optimistic tint those players bump us no higher than decent. Which is a good start, but nowhere near where we need to be to compete. Exactly why we should be using this down-period to aggressively chase high-end picks and prospects. A great draft in 2019 with another top C and/or D substantially improves our odds of building a strong core.

The last comment you made... I agree and the other important factor is rushing them onto our team. Keep the 2017 and 2018 picks off our team for another two seasons please. We need two more draft years with top 5 lottery pick chance

Reactions: Redux91 and Lshap

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I'm not 100% sold on Danault as the future #3C. He has only played one full season where he got 40pts in 82 games playing a lot of games with Patch. I actually would consider moving him to 3rd line LW and play with DLR as the center and Shaw on RW. All depends on if DLR can take the next step from what he showed in the last 2 months of last season.

As far as Poehling and Kotkaniemi as our center depth. They are solid prospects at this stage. They have great size and skill. And they both play a responsible 200' game. I don't think they are longshot gambles.
I'm surprised you like DLR better than Danault. Danualt has actually played the position and produced well, unlike de la Rose, whose offence still exists in people's imagination and not on the ice. But I'm happy to be proven wrong. Let DLR play center all season and let's see what he can do, once and for all. As long as we remember that we're discussing the 3C job. Neither of these guys are the solutions to the real problems.

I agree Kotka is likely to become a top-C. The longshots begin after him, starting with Poehling and dropping off with the other names. Nothing wrong with hoping for the best, as long as you plan for the worst. That's what the next two seasons should be about. I'm sure you agree we shouldn't be settling for what we have.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm surprised you like DLR better than Danault. Danualt has actually played the position and produced well, unlike de la Rose, whose offence still exists in people's imagination and not on the ice. But I'm happy to be proven wrong. Let DLR play center all season and let's see what he can do, once and for all. As long as we remember that we're discussing the 3C job. Neither of these guys are the solutions to the real problems.

I agree Kotka is likely to become a top-C. The longshots begin after him, starting with Poehling and dropping off with the other names. Nothing wrong with hoping for the best, as long as you plan for the worst. That's what the next two seasons should be about. I'm sure you agree we shouldn't be settling for what we have.

Not sure I like Danault over DLR at this stage but I am not set on putting Danault on a pedestal for one decent season. I think a Danault and DLR paring could be a good one. Both work hard and can win puck battles while also playing solid on D. I really did like DLR game towards the end of the season. He is a big body that can skate and he attacks and puts pressure on the other team very well too. Not counting on him to score or produce a lot of points but I think he can provide value in that 3rd line role.

I think Danault needs to be as hungry for ice time as he was heading into the 2016/2017 season. We have to be careful with automatically penciling him in to a spot in our line. He has only played one full season. I want to see a larger sample size and if he can produce without Patch.

We agree on Kotkaniemi. But Poehling is a very solid #2 or #3 center option. Honestly, do you think he is worse than Danault or DLR? I seriously doubt that. After that, we have several solid options. Long shots? Evans, Vejdemo, Ikonen, Hillis, McShane, Fonstad, Houde, etc are long shots indeed. However, I am high on Olofsson. I would put him just behind Poehling and I am looking forward to see what game he shows this year as a 18/19 year old. He has a solid chance at playing for team Sweden at the U20 world juniors too.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

I disagree. I think if we get legitimate centers 1-4 in addition to the skill and depth on the wings with Price and Weber, we are significantly better off and way above average but far more balanced a team.

If Kotka becomes a 70 point center and Poehling or whomever becomes a 50-60 point 2nd line center, I think we’re right there with anyone in the league across our entire lineup as long as the bottom 6 do their job. With Olaffson, Danault, DLR, Evans etc. who are capable of that role, I’m more than comfortable with that lineup at their ability.

Of corse, development isn’t a sure thing so I’d expect surprises along the way.

Last edited:

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
He seems so mature for his age and he seemed like a young leader in the training camp, he apparently took Kotka under his wing during that camp being locker neighbors. They he responded to the question and the way he sees himself it’s pretty impressive. The last player to such things was Pacio :sarcasm:

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
The DLR talk is funny considering they actually re-signed plekanec..

But for real tho, i honestly believe Poehling is better than a 3rd line C .. BUT should we keep sucking and tanking and obtain one of the monsters next year...well then and only then does poehling at 3rd C sound good, but should it somehow not happen and we get a winger or a D, i really think people underestimate his top 6 potential

Reactions: Maitz

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
The DLR talk is funny considering they actually re-signed plekanec..

But for real tho, i honestly believe Poehling is better than a 3rd line C .. BUT should we keep sucking and tanking and obtain one of the monsters next year...well then and only then does poehling at 3rd C sound good, but should it somehow not happen and we get a winger or a D, i really think people underestimate his top 6 potential
The way I see him is an excellent 3rd C but can play 2nd C and would look good but would not have crazy numbers, around 45-50 pts but +15

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
He seems so mature for his age and he seemed like a young leader in the training camp, he apparently took Kotka under his wing during that camp being locker neighbors. They he responded to the question and the way he sees himself it’s pretty impressive. The last player to such things was Pacio :sarcasm:

Too bad pacio was a winger taking lil ol 5"6 center DD under his wing... and it all worked out amazingly..

much happier with poehling looking like a leader already, and helping kotkaniemi, who looks like he could really use someone like that when he comes over to the team permanently

Reactions: Maitz

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Too bad pacio was a winger taking lil ol 5"6 center DD under his wing... and it all worked out amazingly..

much happier with poehling looking like a leader already, and helping kotkaniemi, who looks like he could really use someone like that when he comes over to the team permanently
To build chemistry so young it’s such a good thing. Being a year older and giving him advice about what’s going on is huge for a 17-18 years old.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
50+ would be ideal long term...but i understand if he doesnt achieve that
He is excellent all around but I do question his scoring ability and his puck control. I don’t see an offensive force but I see a guy that work enough to get his points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad