Value of: Ryan O'Rourke

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
It would take a mid 1st to get me to consider moving him.
Minnesota isn't trading a player they just drafted...They traded ... to select Marat & Ryan O'Rourke for a reason in the 2nd round....
I actually had him first on my list for the Blues. Oh well.
We shoulda drafted him when we had the chance.

i find this topic kinda silly and obvious -
if your team REALLY wants/needs a guy (a) who they passed over, and (b) another team just drafted in the 2d round,
you offer a 1st.
don't play games, if its important, pay the price

(otherwise this is just another lazy HFB proposal of "let's offer some guys/assets we won't miss for something we value...")

Last edited:

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
if your team REALLY wants/needs a guy (a) who they passed over, and (b) another team just drafted in the 2d round,
you offer a 1st.

(otherwise this is just another lazy HFB proposal of "let's offer some guys/assets we won't miss for something we value...")

Yeah, definitely don't do that. The Blues are about 100% likely to pick higher next year than last year. It would be really dumb to pass on a guy (IMO wrongly, vs. Neighbors) and have him go in the 2nd round only to weeks later offer an even higher 1st than we passed on him with to acquire him.

Sucks we passed on him. And yes, whatever Colt has offered doesn't move the needle for Minny. But trading a very likely top 20 pick IMO for O'Rourke is only digging the hole deeper. Blues are sorely lacking in top end prospects. Trading a good 1st to correct a mistake is brutal.

Reactions: Ana Crusis

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Would Dunn for ror and a 2nd work

Minnesota wouldn't trade a 2nd just for Dunn, because we don't have any place to play him. It would be a waste of assets to marginally improve the third pairing.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
you offer a 1st.

Dunn has value just not to Minnesota. Thats perfectly fine. The op was value of. What would it take. No reason to get nasty brah

Reactions: 57special

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
The Blues have one of the rare possibilities to draft in the top 10 of the draft if they don't upgrade their offense to replace the downgrade on defense. As such, that pick can probably be used to pick a better player than what ROR v2.0 would be to the Blues today, especially if the lottery gods are kind.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Big no on using the Blues 2021 1st as currency and certainly not to acquire O'Rourke.

I have a strong feeling that pick projects to be worth considerably more than O'Rourke.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Big no on using the Blues 2021 1st as currency and certainly not to acquire O'Rourke.

I have a strong feeling that pick projects to be worth considerably more than O'Rourke.

Probably does, but we have zero need or motivation to turn a very recently drafted 2nd round pick into a future 2nd round pick, and probably take a sizeable hit in draft position while we're at it.

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
I think the best comparison to what O'Rourke could be is Adam Foote. I have watched both play junior here in the Soo and for a while now I have connected to 2. O'Rourke has insane leadership and is also as coachable as any player out there. He has fought guys he had no chance against but did it because that is what the game called for at the time. He has the same type of grit that Foote had here and can be an offensive player as well. What is important for O'Rourke is that he puts team needs above his own numbers, even in his draft year. The Soo has a few defencemen that put up good numbers, and the team's biggest need is that solid at both ends of the rink kind of player. This coming season they will still have Calisti and Constantine. For that reason him putting up a lot of points won't be what is needed most for team success. I am 100% sure he will be better at everything he does, regardless of his points, especially as he physically matures.

I almost want to say his floor could be Jason Smith in leadership and grit, if the offence doesn't show up. Yes Smith and Foote are a world apart in level, but I said floor. Smith's value went WAY beyond his numbers. His character is on that level, as evidence of being a captain in the OHL at 17 years old. Nobody here in the Soo questioned that decision.

I respectfully don't really care how well Minny, so I don't really don't like or hate them as a team. ROR is the kind of player that you kind of can't help but cheer for. I think he may end up being one of Minny's best "value" picks in a long time. For that reason, there is no way in the world I would trade him. I think if he was traded, he would be the type of player Minny would spend years trying to replace.

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I think the best comparison to what O'Rourke could be is Adam Foote. I have watched both play junior here in the Soo and for a while now I have connected to 2. O'Rourke has insane leadership and is also as coachable as any player out there. He has fought guys he had no chance against but did it because that is what the game called for at the time. He has the same type of grit that Foote had here and can be an offensive player as well. What is important for O'Rourke is that he puts team needs above his own numbers, even in his draft year. The Soo has a few defencemen that put up good numbers, and the team's biggest need is that solid at both ends of the rink kind of player. This coming season they will still have Calisti and Constantine. For that reason him putting up a lot of points won't be what is needed most for team success. I am 100% sure he will be better at everything he does, regardless of his points, especially as he physically matures.

I almost want to say his floor could be Jason Smith in leadership and grit, if the offence doesn't show up. Yes Smith and Foote are a world apart in level, but I said floor. Smith's value went WAY beyond his numbers. His character is on that level, as evidence of being a captain in the OHL at 17 years old. Nobody here in the Soo questioned that decision.

I respectfully don't really care how well Minny, so I don't really don't like or hate them as a team. ROR is the kind of player that you kind of can't help but cheer for. I think he may end up being one of Minny's best "value" picks in a long time. For that reason, there is no way in the world I would trade him. I think if he was traded, he would be the type of player Minny would spend years trying to replace.

Soo...the cost to acquire him?:sarcasm:

Reactions: CanadianSharks

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Probably does, but we have zero need or motivation to turn a very recently drafted 2nd round pick into a future 2nd round pick, and probably take a sizeable hit in draft position while we're at it.

Agreed, I don't see any motivation for Minnesota to trade their recently drafted player either.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
The Blues have one of the rare possibilities to draft in the top 10 of the draft if they don't upgrade their offense to replace the downgrade on defense. As such, that pick can probably be used to pick a better player than what ROR v2.0 would be to the Blues today, especially if the lottery gods are kind.

Bingo. I value O'Rourke plenty. I just value our chance at a top half 1st round pick next year more. He's good IMO, but not worth the upcharge.

Really wanted Detroit to take him at 32.

I wanted him at 26, but not quite as much as Borque or Wallinder. I think Detroit still made out pretty well.....

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Bingo. I value O'Rourke plenty. I just value our chance at a top half 1st round pick next year more. He's good IMO, but not worth the upcharge.

I wanted him at 26, but not quite as much as Borque or Wallinder. I think Detroit still made out pretty well.....

I'm not complaining...a hunch.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I said at the time that every Minnesota pick felt like a punch in the stomach because they snagged three of my favorite prospects. O'Rourke was probably the most agonizing honestly. I thought he had "Blue" written all over him.

Minnesota should have no reason to move him at this point in time.

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
Soo...the cost to acquire him?:sarcasm:

I wouldn't trade him. I for sure wouldn't trade him for something that would bring back "similar" value. What is the point? If I was a Minny fan and we were a player away from being a favorite, then maybe in a deal to get us over the top. It is a bird in hand kind of thing. For sure this is my opinion, but I think if they develop him right, they have a top 4 defenceman for a decade. One that I bet wears a letter on his jersey. He is just one of those character guys that every winning team needs.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I had him 13th on my list going into the draft, so I'm in no hurry to move him. I wouldn't be mad if we moved him for a first, but I'd also be somewhat surprised. If I had to guess, Khusnutdinov and O'Rourke were probably both rated as 1st rounders by Brackett and that's the driving force behind the willingness to do the Bonino + 37 + 75 for Kunin + 4th trade. While I'm not there on Khusnutdinov yet, I think O'Rourke was a hit.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Only center prospects blues have are alexandrov. Any interest there ?
not really. We have Khovanov and Khusnutdinov as potential middle-six centers going forward, as well as Ek still on the roster. I though Alexandrov was impressive at the WJC, but O'Rourke is our only potential top 4 LD.

Yeolo

Apr 11, 2014
There hasn't been a MN Wild draft that has ever felt better than the one we just had.

Every single player drafted should see NHL ice within 4 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad