Ryan Murray = 2nd pairing dman?

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I'm not sure if I'd go with "nobody agrees". I see about eight or nine folks going along with the "second-pairing player" assessment, and all of two people insisting he sucks (and at least one of those two is notorious for making rather extreme statements about players he's come to dislike). That sure looks like a majority consensus to me.

I think he's absolutely a 2nd pairing D right now. But he makes me nervous and I'm ready to trade him.

Arch City Zach

Jun 10, 2011
Columbus, OH
archcityarmy.com
I've always thought he could be anywhere from a #2 guy to a #5 guy. It's a wild swing, but he's been both great and inconsistent at times. I think if JJ goes, it'd be interesting to see the Jones/Murray pairing and the Werenski/Savard pairing.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I think Jarmo put this to rest at the expansion draft. He was one of the three protected defensemen.

I think the deal with Vegas was in place before the draft so it's not worth reading too much into who was or wasn't protected. Plus he could want to keep him just because he's a valuable trade piece anyway.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Easily a second pairing. We just happen to be deep on the blue line. I can tell you as a goalie Murray was the kind of player I loved being in front of me. I might be in the minority but to me he has 1st line potential and I hope we don't trade him.

We are the minority.. i wouldn't trade Ryan Murray. This kid plays a heady cool under fire game. You need more Ryan Murray's not less & i think the targets are underwhelming for what it is worth.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
We are the minority.. i wouldn't trade Ryan Murray. This kid plays a heady cool under fire game. You need more Ryan Murray's not less & i think the targets are underwhelming for what it is worth.

I think Murray has a much bigger impact than many realize. Just look at the Jackets record last season with and without him.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Murray can play positions #2-5 as mentioned, he played 5 only because the other pairings seemed to complement each other very well. If Jones Murray were slotted on the top line with Werenski Savard JMFG and Carlsson or Nuttivara give us a luxury that most teams don't have but one that would be critical if the position were to suffer any injuries at all.

Everything might have changed had Vlad Gavrikov signed - but he didn't. With that said/ defense is a position of strength for us - and I would not swap this group with any other teams due to age and effectiveness.

You want one of our guys? Make me an offer I cannot refuse..and stay away from the guys under 22. You want them? Go draft them.

edit: they closed the main thread because like Sakic and Jarmo - we were at a standstill. Let the dust settle, there will be other teams with needs that more firmly align with ours.

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
edit: they closed the main thread because like Sakic and Jarmo - we were at a standstill. Let the dust settle, there will be other teams with needs that more firmly align with ours.

They closed the prior main board thread because it was over 1,000 posts. There is a new Duchene megathread active on FA&T right now. I haven't read it, but it's there.

devilsfan35

Jun 15, 2015
Would you trade Murray for kovalchuk @50% retained
Rumour has it he's looking for a 3 year 6.5 mil contract

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
Unless he's on like a 2 year, 4.5 AAV contract (not happening), I wouldn't even trade Harrington for Kovalchuk.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
This is kind of why I don't like chatting with fans all that much. If this was just a 30 goal scorer with 3 years and 6.5, there wouldn't be as much trepidation with moving Murray. After all we're talking about him for Duchene.

Yes, IK is older and has his baggage. However, we're kind of throwing our personal feelings into the deal and not quite looking at it objectively.

Here are things that are important.
1. Does IK want to come to Columbus?
2. Does NJ want him in the Metro?
3. Are the CBJ interested? If so how interested?
4. How much of a market is there?

These are the type of deals that I want us to have cap space to take advantage of. Perhaps not this exact player, but this type of situation.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
This is kind of why I don't like chatting with fans all that much.

You love us and you know it. And we love you right back.

If this was just a 30 goal scorer with 3 years and 6.5, there wouldn't be as much trepidation with moving Murray.

But it's not. So yeah, other stuff.

5. How good is he?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
This is kind of why I don't like chatting with fans all that much. If this was just a 30 goal scorer with 3 years and 6.5, there wouldn't be as much trepidation with moving Murray. After all we're talking about him for Duchene.

Yes, IK is older and has his baggage. However, we're kind of throwing our personal feelings into the deal and not quite looking at it objectively.

These are the type of deals that I want us to have cap space to take advantage of. Perhaps not this exact player, but this type of situation.
The trepidation is for the following reasons:
1) He's been out of the NHL for 4 years.
2) He's 34.
3) He's already walked out on a team for Russia once.

Can't hardly blame people for being cautious under the circumstances.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
The trepidation is for the following reasons:
1) He's been out of the NHL for 4 years.
2) He's 34.
3) He's already walked out on a team for Russia once.

Can't hardly blame people for being cautious under the circumstances.

4) He plays a position (LW) we already have more than enough of between Panarin, Jenner, Foligno (though Foligno can play RW), Calvert, PLD/Dubinsky, Milano. Further, Panarin and Atkinson both play the same PP role IK would want to play.

Washington shows that you cannot build a successful team from the wings in. I feel we have the same skill set in Panarin, but younger (and possibly) cheaper.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad